By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - MGS4 Japan --- First day sales

TheSource said:

First day sales were higher than I expected looking at previous top preorder data vs. week one data.

MGS2 went from ~469k to 89k on a bigger userbase than PS3 has in week one to week two.

MGS3 went from ~498k to 115k on an even bigger base in week one to week two. 

I'm thinking a disproportionately high number of the games sales will be day one, I wouldn't be surprised at all if it tops at 420k week one, even after a 300k opening simply because 420k is ~20% of the PS3 base in Japan.

Software should behave something like this:

420k-65k-35k-15k-8k-5k-2k

PS3 hw might do something like this:

35k-25k-15k-12k-9k 

great numbers, however can we enjoy the first day, week sale before we discussed how the game wont have any legs.  Thank you though.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network

These haters are terrible.They cant let us even enjoy the first day and first week sales without remembering us how it wont have legs and how its a front loaded game.

For them the paradise of gaming must be some old farts released 3 years ago selling taking permanently the Top 10 and blocking the sales for newer games.Oh ,and if those are first party Nintendo titles better than anything.

Woo hoo!!!

Hardcore gaming may still have a chance in Japan.

Maybe SE will start getting some more info out to the public about FF 13 after seeing these sales.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

great sales first day in japan :)

Check out my game about moles ^

Wow. Awesome numbers.  I think it may break 1 million lifetime just like MGS2/3.  Konami said it would, and it looks like they were right.

Around the Network

salt mode on. I'd wait for mediacreate data next week....

as i said in another post, it is good to see how good games sell well

I wonder how many this game will do for the week. if this data is true then my predictions are spot on

TheSource said:

First day sales were higher than I expected looking at previous top preorder data vs. week one data.

MGS2 went from ~469k to 89k on a bigger userbase than PS3 has in week one to week two.

MGS3 went from ~498k to 115k on an even bigger base in week one to week two. 

I'm thinking a disproportionately high number of the games sales will be day one, I wouldn't be surprised at all if it tops at 420k week one, even after a 300k opening simply because 420k is ~20% of the PS3 base in Japan.

Software should behave something like this:

420k-65k-35k-15k-8k-5k-2k

PS3 hw might do something like this:

35k-25k-15k-12k-9k 

Wow, that is extremey frontloaded. But I agree on the SW.

HW, 35K sounds low for 1st week. I mean shouldnt HW be very frontloaded as well? And 25K HW on just 65K SW in 2nd week seems very very high.

Anyway, my original modified prediction was 350K SW and 50K HW on first week. So Japan numbers bit higher, but overall its gonna be hard for MGS4 to pass 2 mill 1st week WW and 5 mill lifetime.

@slimebeast

5 million will be possible if Japan shows atleast decent legs

and if NA doesn't reject the game....thats what I'm worried about, I have my faith in EU but not in NA

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey