By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - MGS fans,is MGS4 the best in the series?

HeroeDeLeyenda said:
hey guys i've never played any MGS game in the past? im kind of tempted to buy MGS4, will i be lost? i it really fun? i need an honest opinion not an opinion based on the hype, thank you =)

You will be confused and lost on the storyline. I'd suggest two things: 1) Play the previous ones first or 2) watch some retrospective videos from Gametrailers. The gameplay/controls is the best in the series. It's pretty fun. There are so many things you can do in Act I.

Around the Network

Guess what i bought the game yesterday!! eventough i never played any of the MGS games before im so hooked with MGS4, im in act 2 and loving it, i think the fact that i played the splinter cell games before helped me like this game a lot

"I envy you. You North Americans are very lucky. You are fighting the most important fight of all- you live in the heart of the beast." 

Ernesto "Che" Guevara.

Ssyn said:
DTG said:
Only a handful of issues prevent this game (in my mind right now) from being the best game in the series.

The retcons and questionable story decisions I mentioned were two of them.

I also felt there was a little too much gameplay in the first half of the game and not enough story sequences. This is redeemed by the extensive cutscenes during the second half, but better pacing would have helped. There's also too many overblown action sequences. Most of these are directed magnificently but I would have prefered more deep dialog sequences. That said there is still a lot of thought provoking exchanges rivaled only by MGS2.

All in all MGS4 feels a lot like a slightly watered down, more hollywood style MGS2 which is what prevents it in my mind from surpassing the level of perfection realized in MGS2.

I'd agree with you on the retcon's not being liked. The story in MGS4 imo was superior to MGS2's; I didn't mind the entire idea of the patriots wanting to make a simulation of shadow moses, but the addition of really unessarcy charaters like fortune, fatman and even Solidus imo was a mistake. Not to mention(rocket pig won't agree) the dialog in MGS4 surpasses all the others by a mile(MGS2 was weak in this department). MASSIVE SPOILER YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED Sadly Big Boss coming back was cool to see along with zero; but it seemed a bit to out of place.

If you thought MGS2 had unnecessary characters then how can you overlook the bloated cast of MGS4 which contains reference to almost every character that has ever set foot in the MGS universe? There were far too many characters involved in MGS4's storyline even if only for brief mention.

Another huge drawback of MGS4 that I forgot to mention is the almost complete elimination of the codec. Ryan Payton said that we could expect plenty of optional codec conversations which has turned out to be a complete Lie. That's something that weighs quite heavily on me and would definitely have to factor into the overall score if I were to write a review on MGS4.

Another seemingly minor yet important element missing is the Theatre Mode which does not appear even after a complete playthrough. I suspect Konami plans to charge for this via DLC which is a serious disservice to fans who bought the 20 dollar more expensive LE version only to find an incomplete soundtrack and missing features that should have been standard since the Subsistence version of MGS3. These small yet relevant flaws are clearly a result of Konami going cheap on basic aspects only to later (probably but not surely) charge for their download. It's simply intolerable for a game of this magnitude and price. It's kind of like if Ipod released a new model next year retaining the price of last years model and yet they charged you an additional 20 bucks to enable standard video playback capability for it.

For me it probably breaks down like this:

1. Metal Gear Solid 2 (yes, I did really like this one)
2. Metal Gear Solid 4
3. Metal Gear Solid 3
4. Metal Gear Solid

All of them are great games, and Snake Eater is especially underrated, but I think either Metal Gear Solid 2 or 4 is my favorite. I am going to hold off on calling MGS 4 my favorite for now, but it was tough to put either MGS2 or MGS4 ahead of the other.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Im on act 5 and I can already say that this is the best so far. Its solid, get it and love it.

I own all three current consoles and a great gaming rig, now thats out of the way.

This space Reserved for the Nuggets of Wisdom dropped by Bladeforce:

"Why post something like this when all it will get is PS3 owners blinded to reality replying? BOTH THE PS3 AND BLUE-RAY WILL NOT LAST 3 YEARS! TECHNOLOGY CHANGED TOO FAST!"

"is it Wii FIt that has sold as many as PS3's sold? Thats a LOL Look at the total sales of software is it just me that sees Nintendo titles hitting 10m+ and you say they arent making a difference? Another LOL!"

"Hell, with all the negative hype Sony spin, people just aren't interested cost is too high and to get the true HD experience (1080p, 7.1 surround) you will need a $1000+ system. THAT IS GOING TO DO IT IN A RECESSION! PS4 will not happen"

Around the Network

The best, no doubt! I've played every MGS including those on the handhelds

Its easily the best one, ACT 4 and on is a divine experience

Its like it puts the other MGS games to shame..

Easily the best game I have on the PS3, and easily the best game I have ever played in my life.

mM

I enjoyed the flashback before act 4. Where you play MGS1 again and that camo is hilarious!

^^^spoiler 

I think it is better than MGS1, and MGS2, from what I have played so far I'm about half way through and it's been great. But MGS3 holds up really good to. It is a tough call for sure.

As much as I was down on the game for Act II & III, Act IV is making up for it.

It's not often where the ol' pig gets goosebumps while playing a game but the first half of Act IV had that in spades. Not only that but the game actually reverts to playtime for most of it instead of never-ending custscenes.

Return to Shadow Moses! Holy shitballs! The intro from MGS1 was a great touch, too. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/