By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - MGS fans,is MGS4 the best in the series?

I don't know if anyone will see the correlation or the comparison but this is how I imagine things.

I look at Super Mario Galaxy is the ultimate creation of a 3D platformer, you do not have to think about controlling Mario and the game play becomes difficult through difficulty of performing tasks in the game rather than controlling the character.

I feel this way about MGS4, I have loved immensely every other MGS game in the past, my favourite game series behind Starcraft but the thing that annoyed me was the difficulty of the controls, I recently played MGS3 and found everything awesome but I was also frustrated by the controls and how complicated it had become.

MGS4 is like the Super Mario Galaxy of Combat games, it is perfection in every way controls wise. I don't know how they did it but right from the start I jumped in and automatically just played, I didn't have to think about the controls and they are so much more defined than MGS3 and before.

Easily the best game play in the series, and I haven't finished it yet so I don't know about the story but I'm digging the BB's, the twists, the tie ups and the variety... it's freakin awesome. I feel like I'm playing and living in the MGS world and I feel sorry for Snake. Insane game. I don't want it to end, haven't felt like this about a game since Zelda Ocarina of Time.

Around the Network

i confirm thats its the best of all

Ssyn said:
DTG said:
Only a handful of issues prevent this game (in my mind right now) from being the best game in the series.

The retcons and questionable story decisions I mentioned were two of them.

I also felt there was a little too much gameplay in the first half of the game and not enough story sequences. This is redeemed by the extensive cutscenes during the second half, but better pacing would have helped. There's also too many overblown action sequences. Most of these are directed magnificently but I would have prefered more deep dialog sequences. That said there is still a lot of thought provoking exchanges rivaled only by MGS2.

All in all MGS4 feels a lot like a slightly watered down, more hollywood style MGS2 which is what prevents it in my mind from surpassing the level of perfection realized in MGS2.

I'd agree with you on the retcon's not being liked. The story in MGS4 imo was superior to MGS2's; I didn't mind the entire idea of the patriots wanting to make a simulation of shadow moses, but the addition of really unessarcy charaters like fortune, fatman and even Solidus imo was a mistake. Not to mention(rocket pig won't agree) the dialog in MGS4 surpasses all the others by a mile(MGS2 was weak in this department). MASSIVE SPOILER YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED Sadly Big Boss coming back was cool to see along with zero; but it seemed a bit to out of place.

Again I ask...what retcons? 

HeroeDeLeyenda said:
Guess what i bought the game yesterday!! eventough i never played any of the MGS games before im so hooked with MGS4, im in act 2 and loving it, i think the fact that i played the splinter cell games before helped me like this game a lot

That's awesome that you are really enjoying it despite not playing the previous games.  That shows that the gameplay holds up and hopefully the story stands on its own.