By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - MGS fans,is MGS4 the best in the series?

So far this game has been the best experiance i have had with any game in a very long time, in other words tes the best by far, but i will reserves judgment untill i have finished the game

Around the Network

The presentation in this game is truly amazing. Every little detail has been thought out and executed.

With that said, the writing still sucks. It's still too long-winded and leaves little to the imagination. I also find myself watching the "game" far more than I want to.

The controls kick ass, though. "Borrowing" from Splinter Cell did this game a lot of good.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

22 hours in two days, game is done. Maybe too soon to reflect, but I'm glad it closes EVERYTHING in the Metal Gear Solid universe. Story wise, this game and MGS1 are even while MGS3 is the best (imo of course).

The over the shoulder shooting perspective was amazing! it really helped the gameplay!

Actual gameplay time (compared to cutscene time), it needed more. Metal Gear Solid 3 had the most gameplay (compared to cutscenes).

If you're a fan of the series and want to see how everything in the series fits, play 4, you will not be disappointed.

Lafiel said:
you should at least give people 1-2 weeks to play through the game before asking that question

Then a month or so to sit on it then reflect.

For a LOT of people the best game they've played is the one they've played most recently.  (Well not BEST, but it's up there.)

rocketpig said:

The presentation in this game is truly amazing. Every little detail has been thought out and executed.

With that said, the writing still sucks. It's still too long-winded and leaves little to the imagination. I also find myself watching the "game" far more than I want to.

The controls kick ass, though. "Borrowing" from Splinter Cell did this game a lot of good.

That's surprising considering you're only at the beginning of the game. Until Act 3 I felt there was too much gameplay compared to too little storytelling but the cinematics kick in after Act 3. Some of the later dialog while long winded is truly wonderful, remeniscent of MGS2's writing which is a great achievement for GoP.

Around the Network
ZenfoldorVGI said:
MGS4 is great, but imo(and I've only played a little bit of it) I think there is no way a sequel could be as good as MGS1 in story or boss battles. It's like asking if Twilight Princess is better than OOT. It is, in a way, but the real answer is "no."

That doesn't mean it isn't perfect though. Just less perfect than the original game.

Ahh, so the best Zelda game by that definition, is The Legend of Zelda. OoT is a sequel, and sequels can never be as good as the original.

Sorry, I don't agree with that logic. System Shock 2 was better then 1. Civ 4 was the best Civ. GTA4 is the best GTA, and MGS4 is the best MGS (imo).

This game is so far, just outstanding in every way. The thing that I like the best, is it's worlds ahead of any other MGS game in game mechanics.

The environments rival (or surpass in many ways) Uncharted. The game has good (not the best) voice acting, and the story os great.

Im not that far but IMO yet it is. Hell I havent even got to a boss yet. This is the first one im not dieing every 5 seconds. Here it is from best to worst so far (consoles versions PS era)

MGS4- Very fun!!!!
MGS3- Best bosses (so far) in the series. I love it plus it was my first MGS
MGS1- The origanal. I played it after 3 and I loved it.
MGS2- Was really good but it felt repetitive. Keep going from one place to another back to the same place. Plus I didnt like the feel of the tanker

fgsduilfgasuklwgefidslzfgb4yiogwefhawi4fbielat5gy240bh3e

IMO, not only is MGS4 the BEST MGS game ever, IT IS THE BEST GAME PERIOD.

superbeast1370 said:
IMO, not only is MGS4 the BEST MGS game ever, IT IS THE BEST GAME PERIOD.

Well... I wouldnt go that far. Its ONE of the best but the best? I dunno

fgsduilfgasuklwgefidslzfgb4yiogwefhawi4fbielat5gy240bh3e

Any sales data yet?

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder