By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Finally, a long waited NHL game for Wii!

NHL 2K9 Announced For Wii

First hockey game with NHL license on console.

June 12, 2008 - 2K Sports announced today that NHL 2K9 will be released on the Wii, representing the first NHL-licensed game to appear on the console.

Users will be able to employ the Wii Remote as a hockey stick within the game, likely in a similar fashion to the skill stick used on 360 and PS3 versions of the game.

"It's our goal this year to bring the fun back to hockey video games," said Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K. "NHL 2K9 for Wii includes the full feature set as available on other platforms, and added Wii Remote controls and other exciting features specific for the Wii console will allow dedicated fans the opportunity to fully enjoy and embrace NHL hockey in a brand new experience."

"Nintendo is thrilled to have 2K Sports' NHL 2K9 on the Wii platform this season," said Steve Singer, VP of Licensing at Nintendo of America Inc. "This title has been highly anticipated by our Wii consumers who will now be able to use the Wii Remote to face-off, play hockey, and fire a slap shot in their living rooms."

To celebrate today's announcement, Nintendo's famed mascot, Mario, will strut his stuff down the red carpet tonight at the 2008 NHL Awards beginning at 6:15 p.m. in Toronto. Fans in attendance will be able to meet Mario and even have their picture taken with him.

Stay tuned to IGN for more details on the Wii version of NHL 2K9 as the game's release date draws closer.

Poor PS3 Sales Means Smaller Losses

"Actually, because the number of units sold was not as high as we hoped, the loss was better than our original expectation," Quotes from Sony’s CFO Nobuyuki Oneda.

Around the Network

its great that its announced,but i think this is already posted

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

>"It's our goal this year to bring the fun back to hockey video games," said Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K.

I'm no console hockey fan, but I wasn't aware that hocke video games were "not fun".. hmmm.. kinda wonder why people in Canada would buy a game that is not fun to play.

I guess in step Wii the saviour, no?

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

^i think because they want to use the wii mote well here,also there saying that so they can steel sales of EA's hockey games

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

asbrute said:
its great that its announced,but i think this is already posted

it was... sort of...http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=29422

OT: not a big fan of Hockey...

Around the Network
brute said:
^i think because they want to use the wii mote well here,also there saying that so they can steel sales of EA's hockey games

but it doesn't mean other hockey games aren't fun. It's one argument I absolutely hate this gen... Another game is "the idea of casual games are supposed to have bad graphics"

Of course I'm not talking about Nintendo's first party games. I'm talking about third party titles that are more cash-in.. and Yes, I'm looking at you, Kidz sport series. 

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

Sorry, this was already posted. Hopefully the series can do better on the Wii than it's been doing on the other consoles lately.