By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
antfromtashkent said:
boycop said:
If GTA4 got 10, then MGS4 should get 11, no excuses.

GTA4 was good, but certainly not a Masterpiece MGS4 is.

And Eurogamer... oh spare me. Something radical should be done there. Heads should be cut.

ABSOLUTELY! the reviewer had no business reviewing the game.... he mentioned that he dint like the MSG series... how could he review something that be is biast against?

Jesus, you people act as if Eurogamer gave the game a 4/10.

The magazine gave it an 8/10. That's a "B", which is fair. Some people like Kojima's style, some don't. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network
Riot Of The Blood said:

No, it isn't realistic -- it's flat out bullshit to give this over hyped game a ten. Anything with the slightest bit of hype nowdays gets a high score; it doesn't even matter what the game actually plays like. Reviewers seem to be reviewing hype rather than the game itself. That's why flawed games like GTAIV and Mario Galaxy are getting these stupid scores.

While i've been critical of the review system lately your posts are obviously more of your "no game deserves a 10" and less "this game was flawed".  I haven't played MGS4 yet so I can't speak for it (and i'm sure you're in the same boat) but the idea that no game deserves a 10 is stupid.  There's no point in having a rating system on a 10 point scale if you restrict that 10 for a theoretical perfect game that can never exist. 

I understand that some could say "Well IGN had to give this game a 10 since it was better than GTAIV and that got a 10" but the same problem would exist even if you outlawed 10s.  If they gave GTA a 9.9 they would have to give MGS a 9.9/10 to show it's better and you'd be back where we are now.

Like I said in another topic we're to blame for this mess with the review system where suddenly a game is not being judged purely on its own merits but in comparison to scores another high profile game recieved.  The gamers are the reason the whole system is being criticized now.  As much as we give reviewers flak (and deservedly so) for being way too lenient for any hyped big budget game they pretty much have to.  If they don't and they give a big budget game under a 9 they are slammed by the fans overwhelming and lose credibility.  It's gotten to the point that for sites/magazines to get hits/subscriptions they cater to what we want and unfortunately the vocal majority demands perfect scores for the games they want to be good, regardless of how good they actually are.  

Sure there's a decent portion of gamers who call for better journalistic integrity but the industry can't survive off that and they unfortunately have to pander to the majority as they are after all a business.  

Well said, azrm2k.

I see half the people on this forum bash the GTA IV perfect score in one breath and bitch at Edge for their 8/10 on the MGS4 review in the next.

Listen, we either want leniency or we don't. I hate seeing people use a scoring system to justify a game, their platform, or anything, and then use it to suit their argument. I swear that half the people bitching about the review system don't really understand what they're bitching about and instead gloss over a bunch of numbers as a basis for their stance.

rocketpig said:
antfromtashkent said:
boycop said:

And Eurogamer... oh spare me. Something radical should be done there. Heads should be cut.

ABSOLUTELY! the reviewer had no business reviewing the game.... he mentioned that he dint like the MSG series... how could he review something that be is biast against?

The magazine gave it an 8/10. That's a "B", which is fair. Some people like Kojima's style, some don't.

And thats exactly what it comes down to. Eurogamer defines an "8" as a title that the fans of a series will love, and something that people should look into, but its not a game that will be will received by all who play it. People need to keep in mind that 5 should be the average score, in which case an 8 is great. Unfortunately thats not the case. 

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Halo 3 10/10 " Unfair review"
Gears Of War 10/10 "Unfair review"
MGS4 10/10 "System must be broken"

Ofcourse it's broken , except MGS4 has nothing to do with that.

Around the Network
sieanr said:
rocketpig said:
antfromtashkent said:
boycop said:

And thats exactly what it comes down to. Eurogamer defines an "8" as a title that the fans of a series will love, and something that people should look into, but its not a game that will be will received by all who play it. People need to keep in mind that 5 should be the average score, in which case an 8 is great. Unfortunately thats not the case.

From the little time I have with MGS4, I can't think of a more unbiased and fair way of reviewing the game. That bolded part sums up the game perfectly from what I've seen thus far.

The industry needs every kind of reviewer, lenient and harsh ones. In the end it pretty much all balances out. People just need to chill out when they freak out about one or two reviews.

I will say that the reviewer should like the genre of the game he is reviewing (and at the very least the CONSOLE he is reviewing, which hasn't always been the case this gen) or he shouldn't review it at all. This also means that he will be better able to compare it to other games in the genre and see how much better/worse it is than those games since he probably has more experience with it.

This isn't necessarily the case with the Eurogamer review people are bringing up since he may just not like MGS and may still like the stealth/action genre. If he doesn't like the genre than there is probably a conflict of interests.

It is probably better if the reviewer doesn't already vocally dislike a series before he reviews it, but in that case the same standard might have to be applied to those who are huge fans of a series, since they could be equally biased.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

akuma587 said:
The industry needs every kind of reviewer, lenient and harsh ones. In the end it pretty much all balances out. People just need to chill out when they freak out about one or two reviews.

I will say that the reviewer should like the genre of the game he is reviewing (and at the very least the CONSOLE he is reviewing, which hasn't always been the case this gen) or he shouldn't review it at all. This also means that he will be better able to compare it to other games in the genre and see how much better/worse it is than those games since he probably has more experience with it.

This isn't necessarily the case with the Eurogamer review people are bringing up since he may just not like MGS and may still like the stealth/action genre. If he doesn't like the genre than there is probably a conflict of interests.

It is probably better if the reviewer doesn't already vocally dislike a series before he reviews it, but in that case the same standard might have to be applied to those who are huge fans of a series, since they could be equally biased.

The industry needs fair reviewers, which is what EDGE and Eurogamer are. There are just too many videogame magazines and websites that try to catter to publishers and fan service, and even many reviewers are fanboys.

One great example is Mass Effect. The game is not a great RPG, and The Witcher is better than ME is almost every single thing. yet IGN and several others gave inflated scores on ME, and not to The Witcher. Gametrailers even gave Mass Effect a higher score on the story department than The Witcher, which is total BS.

shio said:
akuma587 said:

The industry needs fair reviewers, which is what EDGE and Eurogamer are. There are just too many videogame magazines and websites that try to catter to publishers and fan service, and even many reviewers are fanboys.

One great example is Mass Effect. The game is not a great RPG, and The Witcher is better than ME is almost every single thing. yet IGN and several others gave inflated scores on ME, and not to The Witcher. Gametrailers even gave Mass Effect a higher score on the story department than The Witcher, which is total BS.

You are definitely right, reviewers do tend to get behind the hype sometime and don't always take a stand to support games. Theare are instances of this though, such as Okami, Viewtiful Joe, Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, etc.  The former 3 definitely did not sell as well as the developers had hoped.

While Mass Effect is a quality game on a technical level, its scores were definitely a little inflated from just about every reviewer.  But then again I think pretty much all the BioWare games have somewhat inflated scores.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

rocketpig said:
sieanr said:
rocketpig said:
antfromtashkent said:
boycop said:

And thats exactly what it comes down to. Eurogamer defines an "8" as a title that the fans of a series will love, and something that people should look into, but its not a game that will be will received by all who play it. People need to keep in mind that 5 should be the average score, in which case an 8 is great. Unfortunately thats not the case.

From the little time I have with MGS4, I can't think of a more unbiased and fair way of reviewing the game. That bolded part sums up the game perfectly from what I've seen thus far.

Now if only they had applied that same logic to their Halo 3 review... or any number of their other reviews.