By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Riot Of The Blood said:
Another bullshit score...

All it takes is hype, not quality, to get a ten. A shame really. I thought this game would get a realistic score.

So you've played the game have you?  Oh wait...do I even have to ask?

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network
akuma587 said:
ArtznCraphs said:
Too bad IGN, along with Gamepro, review games with kid gloves on. They can't be trusted to write level headed reviews, imo.

But MGS4 is good stuff regardless

IGN is actually one of the most accurate reviewers in terms of getting close in numerical terms to the games metacritic/gamerakings average, although I do admit they aren't the harshest reviewer by any means. That probably goes to Eurogamer, Edge, and Gamespot, but I respect all those publications too. There need to be harsh reviewers. That being said, IGN was one of the first reviewers to give Haze a 5 score and also gave Lair a 5 score, so believe me, they aren't biased.

In other news, I agree with the IGN review insofar as what my 7 hours into the game has shown me. This game isn't just epic, its LEGENDARY. I just haven't been able to put the damn thing down. Damn you 8-5 workdays!!! I could be playing Metal Gear Solid 4 right now!

Actually, that leads me to believe they might be biased more than anything.

It's not only about the high scores. You have to pay attention to the whipping boys of the industry, too. Haze was a bad game. It was. But a 4.5? No way. It had its qualities hidden underneath the lobotomized AI and Uwe Boll-esque dialogue.

When Two Worlds pulls a 6.8 and Haze pulls a 4.5, you know something is wrong. They're almost the exact same game once you factor in genre. Two Worlds is a shitty Oblivion ripoff that has moments where it's actually fun mixed between massive game faults. Haze is a shitty Halo ripoff that has moments where it's actually fun mixed between massive game faults. For some reason, Two Worlds slipped through with mediocre reviews, just as it deserved. Haze, on the other hand, was given the "Lair Label of Doom" and all reviewers jumped on it for some reason.

In short, reviewers are stupid, biased, and terribly inconsistent. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Who owns IGN?

-UBISOFT BOYCOTT!-

rocketpig said:
akuma587 said:
ArtznCraphs said:
Too bad IGN, along with Gamepro, review games with kid gloves on. They can't be trusted to write level headed reviews, imo.

But MGS4 is good stuff regardless

IGN is actually one of the most accurate reviewers in terms of getting close in numerical terms to the games metacritic/gamerakings average, although I do admit they aren't the harshest reviewer by any means. That probably goes to Eurogamer, Edge, and Gamespot, but I respect all those publications too. There need to be harsh reviewers. That being said, IGN was one of the first reviewers to give Haze a 5 score and also gave Lair a 5 score, so believe me, they aren't biased.

In other news, I agree with the IGN review insofar as what my 7 hours into the game has shown me. This game isn't just epic, its LEGENDARY. I just haven't been able to put the damn thing down. Damn you 8-5 workdays!!! I could be playing Metal Gear Solid 4 right now!

Actually, that leads me to believe they might be biased more than anything.

It's not only about the high scores. You have to pay attention to the whipping boys of the industry, too. Haze was a bad game. It was. But a 4.5? No way. It had its qualities hidden underneath the lobotomized AI and Uwe Boll-esque dialogue.

When Two Worlds pulls a 6.8 and Haze pulls a 4.5, you know something is wrong. They're almost the exact same game once you factor in genre. Two Worlds is a shitty Oblivion ripoff that has moments where it's actually fun mixed between massive game faults. Haze is a shitty Halo ripoff that has moments where it's actually fun mixed between massive game faults. For some reason, Two Worlds slipped through with mediocre reviews, just as it deserved. Haze, on the other hand, was given the "Lair Label of Doom" and all reviewers jumped on it for some reason.

In short, reviewers are stupid, biased, and terribly inconsistent.

Fair enough.  Haze was unfairly crucified, I agree.  Personally I think Lair was too, but with that I can understand a little bit better.  In all fairness though this is the first game the PS3 team has given a 10/10 themselves, because the GTA IV score was a joint effort between the PS3 and 360 team.  But I think you definitely have a point.  

They hi-balled Folklore a little bit with a 9.0, but many of their scores for games like Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank (a little bit higher than average), Motorstorm, and Heavenly Sword (below the average) are pretty good guidelines. 

But it is true that reviewers are people too, so they will have their own imperfections, and IGN has gone back and forth a bit this gen in terms of loving and hating things.  I guess we just have to accept that no reviewer is 100% trustworthy.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Agreed, although I think Lair was worthy of those scores. I absolutely despised that game. Almost every bit of execution in that game was mismanaged in one way or another. Wretched.

But nothing, nothing, irritated me more than the dragon-on-dragon battles. Way to rip the player right out of the action, Factor 5. My blood boils when I think about that game. Such a great idea, such terrible gameplay.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network

I'm only 4 hours into the game and not that far into the story... (somehow going from 3 months of intensive Brawling to controlling Snake for the first time in 3 years didn't go as smoothly as I thought) but the game is an absolute masterpiece. It really pulls you in and never lets go... I'm very pleased with my purchase right now and it looks like MGS4 will get its place somewhere in my favorite games list.

Signature goes here!

Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
Slimebeast said:
How much did it cost

~ what Blue Dragon/Lost Odyssey did? 

Anyway, I liked this:

Another Take

Buy this game. I don't care if the gameplay in the past titles didn't appeal to you, I don't care if long cutscenes scare you, and I don't care if you're broke.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots is the best reason to own a PlayStation 3 thus far.

I've played every Metal Gear Solid game since the series won me over in 1998, and I can tell you that I have never felt as connected to Snake as I did in this game. Hell, I've never felt this connected to any character in any other videogame that I've played. Our hero has gone from a soldier in his prime to an elderly warrior trying to make a difference. We see Snake struggle, we see Snake win, we see Snake lose, we see Snake relax, and we see Snake become a truly three-dimensional character. Whether he's chilling on the Nomad in street clothes, discussing his turn of fortune with "friends," or taking part in the game's phenomenal final boss battle, this is the greatest iteration of the character that I have ever seen.

This game is emotional, powerful, fun, beautiful, deep, engaging, and just about every other positive adjective you could assign it. Metal Gear Solid 4 pulls you in and doesn't let you go until the final, final credits roll.

I'm sad to Snake go, but he couldn't have asked for a better sendoff.

That there is 110% my view on this game... this is the first game that ever game me goosebumps, and its very imotionally engaging. I couldnt ask for a better game....i know i cant possibly sound like more of a fan boy but thats exactly how i feel

shio said:
SpartanFX said:
Slimebeast said:
IGN and Gamespot's review scores are bullshit. Only fanboys put merit into getting a 10 from those sites.

Eurogamer, Gametrailers and Gamespy are a lot better. Fair and trustworthy.

lool,,how did you type with all those tears blurying your vision?

IGN is the best gaming site,,,gamespot on the other hand=garbage

IGN is as bad as Gamespot. Both are very corrupt. I haven't played MGS4, but if the game is around the same quality as the other MGS games, then it doesn't deserve a 10, nor a 9.

but its not.... thats the point... its better

I have an idea that the 11/10 comment is their way of saying that this is better than GTA4, which is a difficult thing to do so soon after slapping the 10/10 on it.

I'm guessing that MGS4 is probably worthier of the ten, and will stand a much better chance at a consensus GOTY, for whatever that's worth.

Of course, during the GOTY process, all of the sites will bring up GTA4 if only to reaffirm that they were right in their original praise, and then they will quickly dismiss it in their own minds as they get down to the business of choosing for realz.

boycop said:
If GTA4 got 10, then MGS4 should get 11, no excuses.

GTA4 was good, but certainly not a Masterpiece MGS4 is.

And Eurogamer... oh spare me. Something radical should be done there. Heads should be cut.

ABSOLUTELY! the reviewer had no business reviewing the game.... he mentioned that he dint like the MSG series... how could he review something that be is biast against?