By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MGS4 = BEST Game this Gen - Impressions Thread- *(NO Spoilers)*

Great to know the game is awesome. It's 6 in he morning here and after work today I'm off to my mates to sit and play it.

Around the Network
iclim4 said:
SlumsofOhio said:
Just beat the game. The ending dragged on for a bit, but for the most part the game was impressive. I clocked in at or around 16 hours.

Oh wow, you marathoned it? O_O
How would you rate the game?
Also rate all 3 MGS' for comparison purposes(if you played them).
1 being the lowest and 10 being the highest.
Thanks. ^_^

@M
That explains a lot.
I thought you were actually playing nonstop.

I'm so grateful for the ability to pause cutscenes.  I missed so much in the first three due to people interrupting. :|

Edit: What?  I never use FPS mode.  Noob. :P

What normal difficulty did you choose?  Naked or Solid?  I chose Solid, I think.  The one closer to Hard mode.

Marathoning is the only way to go. I marathoned Half Life 2 and MGS3 back to back in 2 sick days. One of the best (but grueling) game experiences ever. You get a much better grasp of the overall picture than if you staggered it out over time.

makingmusic476 said:
I'm so grateful for the ability to pause cutscenes.  I missed so much in the first three due to people interrupting. :|

What normal difficulty did you choose?  Naked or Solid?  I chose Solid, I think.  The one closer to Hard mode.

How do you use your sniper rifle then? O_o
Yeah I also chose the one closer to hard.
The one where it says "Normal difficulty for American and European gamers".

I love my Carbine now.
I attached a stabilizer grip on it for extra accuracy and added a sniper scope.
It's my all purpose weapon.
I might get a laser on the side next.
The M90 might have 50 rounds per mag but the Carbine beats in in customizations.

How far are you in the game now?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

ArtznCraphs said:
Marathoning is the only way to go. I marathoned Half Life 2 and MGS3 back to back in 2 sick days. One of the best (but grueling) game experiences ever. You get a much better grasp of the overall picture than if you staggered it out over time.
I marathoned MGS3 and it was one of the best singleplayer videogame experiences I've ever had.
I had 3 friends watching the story unfold beside me too.
We we're all in awe when we saw the ending.
Great game. 

I don't think I can Marathon MGS4 unfortunately.
Probably gonna take me 3 days to finish...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

Around the Network
iclim4 said:
makingmusic476 said:

How do you use your sniper rifle then? O_o
Yeah I also chose the one closer to hard.
The one where it says "Normal difficulty for American and European gamers".

I love my Carbine now.
I attached a stabilizer grip on it for extra accuracy and added a sniper scope.
It's my all purpose weapon.
I might get a laser on the side next.
The M90 might have 50 rounds per mag but the Carbine beats in in customizations.

How far are you in the game now?

I'm not even finished Act 1 (I paused it right before I get to Liquid.  I'm literally right outside the door, lol).  I'm just going slow, taking it all in.  I keep messing around, trying to find stuff.  At one point, just before where I am now, I got spotted by one of the PMCs.  He called for backup before I was able to tranq him, so I got him then ran under a truck real fast.  Within a few minutes, I had all of his reinforcements tranqed and on the ground, lol.  That's how I get lots of Drebin Points.

It's kind've sad, really.  Kojima is always trying to teach us to value life with these games, but when I hit a big cutscene involving lots of people dying, instead of feeling bad I only think "Ooh, look at all them weapons.  More Drebin Points!"

And yeah, I'm using the M4 as well.  I bought the long range scope, the laser pointer, and the flashlight, thoguh I hardly use the flashlight.  I'll probably get the grip next.

And dude, I just realized the clock doesn't stop when it's paused!  I've had the game running since I got it at 10 this morning, and during that time I took a 4 hour nap, ate dinner, cut the grass, took a shower, and goofed around on here.  I'm already 23 hours in according to the clock, lol.

makingmusic476 said:
I'm not even finished Act 1 (I paused it right before I get to Liquid.  I'm literally right outside the door, lol).  I'm just going slow, taking it all in.  I keep messing around, trying to find stuff.  At one point, just before where I am now, I got spotted by one of the PMCs.  He called for backup before I was able to tranq him, so I got him then ran under a truck real fast.  Within a few minutes, I had all of his reinforcements tranqed and on the ground, lol.  That's how I get lots of Drebin Points.

It's kind've sad, really.  Kojima is always trying to teach us to value life with these games, but when I hit a big cutscene involving lots of people dying, instead of feeling bad I only think "Ooh, look at all them weapons.  More Drebin Points!"

And yeah, I'm using the M4 as well.  I bought the long range scope, the laser pointer, and the flashlight, thoguh I hardly use the flashlight.  I'll probably get the grip next.

And dude, I just realized the clock doesn't stop when it's paused!  I've had the game running since I got it at 10 this morning, and during that time I took a 4 hour nap, ate dinner, cut the grass, took a shower, and goofed around on here.  I'm already 23 hours in according to the clock, lol.

23 hours?
And you're still in act 1?
Holly Molly!

I just finished that part.
I'm taking a break since that install loading screen told me to take 15 minute break intervals. =P

Haha, I feel the exact way when I see people die in the cutscene.
More weapons to sell! Nom nom nom nom. ^_^
I only used my MK2 on the end of act 1 because I wanted to be stealthy.
It's actually easier than plowing through with a machine gun.

iclim4 said:
makingmusic476 said:

23 hours?
And you're still in act 1?
Holly Molly!

I just finished that part.
I'm taking a break since that install loading screen told me to take 15 minute break intervals. =P

Haha, I feel the exact way when I see people die in the cutscene.
More weapons to sell! Nom nom nom nom. ^_^
I only used my MK2 on the end of act 1 because I wanted to be stealthy.
It's actually easier than plowing through with a machine gun.

Typo.  Meant 13 hours. 

MKII?  I kind've forgot about that little guy. >_>

At first I was going heavy on the machine gun, but for the last 1/3rd or so of Act 1 I was using tranqs or sticking people up.  Unless I found a mortar.  Those are really fun, hehe. 

And I am now installing for Act 2.  :P

SpartanFX said:
after 3 hours of play,,,I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee this game

i m playing a damn brilliant movie,,,yea the graphics are that good ;).

20/10,,,is that possible?

do u have a 5.1 system? the sound is phenominnal(spelling lol) it just rocks the room, i dont think any other system could do this.

did anyone notice that box on act one where it says something like "not hideo in box" lol its full of great gags

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

makingmusic476 said:
Typo.  Meant 13 hours. 

MKII?  I kind've forgot about that little guy. >_>

At first I was going heavy on the machine gun, but for the last 1/3rd or so of Act 1 I was using tranqs or sticking people up.  Unless I found a mortar.  Those are really fun, hehe. 

And I am now installing for Act 2.  :P

boo, 23 would have been awesome. =P

MK 2 would be the tranq pistol... I think... >_<

I don't like sticking people up, it doesn't work sometimes and the game goes on alert mode.
I also still don't know how to cqc...