By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft shoots themselves in the foot with Halo 3

While we are on the subject of capacity, some interesting numbers for you all:

Gamecube Games: 1.5 GB Gamecube Discs
PS2 Games: 4.7 GB DVD-ROMs
Xbox Games: 4.7 GB DVD-ROMs

Xbox 360 Games: 7 GB Dual Layer (available for games content)
Wii Games: 8.5 GB Dual Layer
PS3 Games: 25 GB Single Layer or 50 GB Dual Layer

Anyone expect Wii games to have more space available to game content than Xbox 360 games? Add in the fact that the Wii doesn't push nearly as powerful graphics (Wii is capable of slightly better graphics than the original Xbox) taking up it's storage space, and Wii games can be 2-4 times the size of Xbox 360 games, and around the size of the average PS3 game (or larger than some). Just thought that was interesting.

Around the Network

@ naznatips

Many top PS2 games use up a full dual layer DVD:

God of War 2 (it shows):
Gametrailers review: http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=2567

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

If your point was storage, you shouldn't have brought up the NES screenshots at all. That just confuses your point.

As for the CD version, the graphics are not advanced by the format. Those are FMV effects, not anything from the actual specs of the system. Yet ther is more content in that game, but 1.6MB to several hundred is a far bigger leap than blu-ray over DVD, and the Amiga systems didnt' even have access to compression available now.

So it's still a bad example.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

who cares, tell developers to stop whining and get a little creative like they used to. Seriously, comparing the NES and CD system to DVD and blu-ray is stupid. You're comparing 2 MB (biggest games, most were less than 1 MB) to 650 MB, and 8 gigs to 25 (50 for dual).

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

MikeB said:

I just used the NES screenshots to illustrate how much the Amiga computer and this game were ahead of its time. If you read on, you see I am making a comparison with the CD version to illustrate the storage benefits.

And yet, you've failed to demonstrate any storage benefit. Have you looked at how fugly NES start screens were? You think cartridges weren't big enough to store even one good looking pre-rendered start screen? Truth is, with the NES, even if you had 1GiB cartridges and games were nothing more than pre-rendered stuff, they wouldn't look any better. So storage was clearly not the limiting factor, which is all that matters.

The Amiga might be ahead of its time, but there are a number of SNES (let alone N64, or DS) games that look better than that working off cartriges, all less than 20% the size of a CD.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.
Around the Network

20%? SNES games were mostly less than 8 MB, while CDs can hold 650 MB. That's only a few percent.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

@ LordTheNightKnight

As for the CD version, the graphics are not advanced by the format. Those are FMV effects, not anything from the actual specs of the system. Yet ther is more content in that game, but 1.6MB to several hundred is a far bigger leap than blu-ray over DVD, and the Amiga systems didnt' even have access to compression available now.

I consider that to be a compliment for the developers as it's not FMV, the later released full 32 bit Amiga CD32 was capable of FMV with an add-on card. Defender of the Crown for the Amiga and the CD remake were 16 bit games (or 16-bit/32-bit hybrid depending on how you look at it). The game isn't hundreds of megabytes, apart from some of the music it's a little larger than 10 megabytes, again illustrating this is not FMV and is made possible due to the advanced co-processors the Amiga had. Similar to the PS3's Cell SPUs developers need to design their game engines to take advantage of them, this was mainly evident with Amiga exclusives.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

johnsobas said:
20%? SNES games were mostly less than 8 MB, while CDs can hold 650 MB. That's only a few percent.

I was taking of DS sized games there, which are still 128MiB, thus presenting the best possible spin to his argument while defending my own.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.

The capacity jump from dual DVD to dual Blu-Ray isn't even as big as from CD to dual DVD. 50GB/9GB ~ 5.5. 9GB/.75GB = 12. You're actually paying twice as much for your console when the storage capacity leap is only half as large. :P

MikeB said:
@ naznatips

Many top PS2 games use up a full dual layer DVD:

God of War 2 (it shows):
Gametrailers review: http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=2567

You're right, there were a couple (not many) thanks.  Even FFXII used single layer 4.7GB.  I don't know how many used the dual layer but I'd assume not much.  Just clicking through the library GoW2 is the only one I have seen sofar.  But, your right, it was capable of that disc size, despite the fact that it wasn't used often.