By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft shoots themselves in the foot with Halo 3

We still want sources, I don't think asking for those cancel out pleasentries.

Around the Network
Gballzack said:
We still want sources, I don't think asking for those cancel out pleasentries.

I totally agree. How about "can we have some sources please?" Or even just "do you have sources to verify that, CG?"

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

I guess every time you switch a disc (with Wii or 360) you can just say outloud, "Sweet! I just saved $200"

I mean, Final Fantasy VII had two discs, right? And did anyone care back then? No. But like Legend11 said, the game is on a single disc. So yeah.

FFVII was on 3 CD-Roms for the Playstation. FFVIII was on 4.

What makes this null and void anyway is the fact that Blue Dragon is on 3 DVD-ROMs and has been out since LAST DECEMBER. If Microsoft "shot themselves in the foot", then they did it about 6 months ago.

Around the Network
Dolla Dolla said:
FFVII was on 3 CD-Roms for the Playstation. FFVIII was on 4.

What makes this null and void anyway is the fact that Blue Dragon is on 3 DVD-ROMs and has been out since LAST DECEMBER. If Microsoft "shot themselves in the foot", then they did it about 6 months ago.

Now if Blue Dragon flops over here, and then gamers cite that they would have bought it EXCEPT for the multiple discs, THEN it will prove that DVD9 was the wrong choice. Until then, it's a lie to claim DVD9 will hurt the 360.

Even GTAIV can use and extra disc. It would just split the game up by missions, and possibly the audio, if the radio stations advance the way San Andreas did.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

First off, Wii games are DVDs. I'm not even gonna give you any links for proof, 'cause you really just have to look at piracy for that... oh sorry, I meant backups. It's a DVD drive, capable of reading DVD±R(W) media, and the discs can be copied by flashing the firmware of some pretty standard computer DVD drives. How is it that people can argue it isn't DVD? This is like all that Gamecube disks spin backwards shit that still seems to come up even years after people are loading it with standard 8cm DVD±R(W)s. You think $25 modchips allow a console to read unsupported physical media?

And that one about original 360 devkits having an HD-DVD is another to debunk. 'Cause the first 360 devkits were Apple PowerMac G5s. And yes, I can find you a link for that, unless I'm mistaken I could even find you a 1GiB link of Bill Gates sayin' that to Steve Jobs' face. So I sure would like to get my hands on one of those HD-DVD PowerMac G5s.

I just love it when a thread starts with easily disprovable crap like this (the contents of the packages were clear ages ago, even before the typo... and I don't know how you missed it, but this isn't even the one 360 game that does span multiple disks), the crap then gets debunked big time with official announcements and such, and we just move on to ignoring those announcements and spewing even more crap!

Reality has a Nintendo bias.

Why are people not thinking about the disks? What I'm trying to say is that these games better offer 20-40+ hours of gameplay because I could not stand changing disks for only a couple of hours of game time. It's almost like if MGS4 indeed takes up 50gigs of space and if it's like MGS3 (which I can get through normal in about 5.5-6 hours) you would have 6 DVD's if it was just directly put on to disks (saying that DVD-9's come out at about 9 gigs of space, 50/9 = 5.5 = round up to 6). Even if a disk or two were trimmed off that, that's not a whole lot of playtime between disk switches, don't you think? Still, the games that take up multiple disks (apart from gamecube games) were also RPG's that offered 20-40+ hours of gameplay. We're talking space for any old game, not just those long RPG's. Putting aside the Halo 3 thing, since it's false anyway, what are future games going to bring? Right now we have Gears of War looking good, but I might as well sell my PS3 if games aren't going to improve past Gears, which is a stupid thought to begin with.

Anyway, on to my main point. Sure, I remember FFVII and FFVIII. The biggest problem that nobody seems to have addressed if what if one of those disks gets damaged? Oh sure, you take real good care of your disks right? Even if you think you're the most careful, it can still happen and one of those disks in that 3-4 disk set gets a hefty scratch. What do you do then? You're pretty much SOL till you can replace it. Even though I have FFVII on the PC, after it's ~8 years in my possession, I'm suprised the drive can even read the 4 cd's (1 install, 3 for gameplay). Even better, think about how FFVII, FFVIII, and FFIX were in 3-4 disk sets and then how FFX and FFXII are both on one DVD. . . Now think about how Blue Dragon is on 3 DVD's. I mean, something has to be up here, right? Same with movies, what if a Lord of the Rings disk gets damaged, that's half the movie gone right there. Even better, ever get one of those two in one disks? We have one and one side is damaged, so we can't watch the whole thing till we rebuy it.

I game more on my PC than consoles and I still can't stand disk swapping, even if I only have to do it once. 

*edit* WoW is like 4-5 cd's I think, Half-Life 2 is like 6 cd's (not sure on that, I went through Steam and all of it's preloads), F.E.A.R's CD version is 5 disks, Medieval 2: Total War is 2 dvd's, ect. 

1. I know people who own 360 dev kits, some of them the very early all white versios, and none of them have an HDDVD drive - and at no point did any development kit given to developers have this type of drive.

2. Generally, when you're making a game you don't run code straight off a disk. With XNA, thats the system developers use with the 360, you compile the game code on PC. This executable is then sent to the 360 where it is run, which also allows remote debuging on the PC end. Burn disks can be used for all sorts of testing purposes, but by no do you absoloutly need one; especially when inclusion of such a drive would raise the cost by hundreds of dollars and negetivly impact the kits reliability. For example, the early PS3 kits lacked a disc drive all together.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

you guys do know that a new kind of DvD is coming out that can hold up to 18 gigs of space. What more do you really need!