By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How much do you reckon Sony paid for MGS4 exclusivity?

starcraft said:
Lone_Canis_Lupus said:

It wasn't just the single-sided. They had trouble with that at first. But then they had trouble getting it down the the 50GB the dual provided. The audio is uncompressed so that does take up a lot of space, but there is a lot of audio...and even if compressed would bring it down a LOT...I think it would still take up a considerable amount of space. That's what I said, if they dumbed it down to 720p or sub-720p, they could probably fit it on 2 discs. But I think it's 1080p? At least that's what I've heard.

Anyway, the way MGS4 is, I think it would take a lot of compressing to get it down to 3 discs.

Look at Motorstorm. That was a small title with poor graphics and it took up 22gb of space according to Sony. The reason? No compression so that the PR department could say "look the Blu-Ray is necessary."

MGS4 on 360 = 5 disks min.

Yes, they were truly awful for a launch title.

Honestly, like we're talking Cruis'n graphics here. Just terrible.

As in go buy us some coffee.

http://speedhunters.com

Around the Network
starcraft said:
bbsin said:

Broaden their bases? If that's the case, then Mass Effect and Bioshock shouldn't be on that list either. ME was funded by Microsoft and Bioshock/Star Ocean was paid for to REMAIN exclusive on the 360 for an undisclosed amount of time. Resistance was funed by Sony and MGS4/FF13 were in all likelyhood paid for to REMAIN exclusive to the PS3. Regardless, you pointed out that Sony is buying all the wrong exclusives, yet you only pointed out the exclusives that has failed. Money Hatting is Money Hatting right? As long as that rule applies, my examples fits yours to a tee.

Fair enough. Perhaps it would have been better if I'd listed every game assumed to have been moneyhatted by either company.

I'm confident MS would come off looking better.

I'm confident that MS would come off looking better aswell.... but that was never the point. The only reason I responded to your list was because you hand picked bad PS3 titles, and pointed out that Sony only pays for the wrong exclusives solely based of that list. 

starcraft said:
Lone_Canis_Lupus said:

It wasn't just the single-sided. They had trouble with that at first. But then they had trouble getting it down the the 50GB the dual provided. The audio is uncompressed so that does take up a lot of space, but there is a lot of audio...and even if compressed would bring it down a LOT...I think it would still take up a considerable amount of space. That's what I said, if they dumbed it down to 720p or sub-720p, they could probably fit it on 2 discs. But I think it's 1080p? At least that's what I've heard.

Anyway, the way MGS4 is, I think it would take a lot of compressing to get it down to 3 discs.

They never said it was pushing 50gb to my recollection.  That was a misinterpretation by Sony fans.

If they were struggling to keep it too 25 a few months before release, the game's size didn't double by the time it was complete.

Put it this way.  Due to a lack of compression, Heavenly Sword had 10gb of sound, the game was 5 1/2 hours long.  Compressed, that might have been 1gb of audio.  Audio can be compressed HEAPS.  Also, MGS4 has 5-7 languages on one disk.  Make it one language and bam, more space.

Look at Motorstorm.  That was a small title with poor graphics and it took up 22gb of space according to Sony.  The reason?  No compression so that the PR department could say "look the Blu-Ray is necessary."

MGS4 on 360 = 2 disks max. 

Apparently you misinterpreted the language thing too. They couldn't fit more than one on a disc. They had to keep one language on the disc depending on the region. I'm thinking 3 discs is the least. No way they could fit it on 2 discs. Did I ever say 3 was a lot? I think 3 is a reasonable number. I mean in the PS1 days it was a lot worse.

PSN: Lone_Canis_Lupus

bbsin said:

I'm confident that MS would come off looking better aswell.... but that was never the point. The only reason I responded to your list was because you hand picked bad PS3 titles, and pointed out that Sony only pays for the wrong exclusives solely based of that list.

Yes.  I was too narrow-minded in my application of the theory.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Lone_Canis_Lupus said:

Apparently you misinterpreted the language thing too. They couldn't fit more than one on a disc. They had to keep one language on the disc depending on the region. I'm thinking 3 discs is the least. No way they could fit it on 2 discs. Did I ever say 3 was a lot? I think 3 is a reasonable number. I mean in the PS1 days it was a lot worse.

Am I the only one that sees us going on for a long time if we keep the 2 vs 3 disk argument going?

Somehow I think it will only be settled when Konami release MGS4: Substance on the 360.

I won't be buying it though.  Can't stand stealth games. 

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network
starcraft said:
Lone_Canis_Lupus said:

Am I the only one that sees us going on for a long time if we keep the 2 vs 3 disk argument going?

Somehow I think it will only be settled when Konami release MGS4: Substance on the 360.

I won't be buying it though.  Can't stand stealth games. 

A release on 360 is highly unlikely. You even said yourself that Sony probably footed the bill for the development of this game thats why they were deep in the red. A bundled game defines the console. Have you ever seen a game that was bundled appear on any other console but the one it was released with? This is why the 360 release is unlikely. It has nothing to do with number of discs or any other stupid fanboy rants.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

starcraft said:
Shameless said:
Why don't you ask these questions when a 360 exclusive is released?

If you'd like, I can do so when Star Ocean 4 comes out.

so4 isnt 110% confirmed as 360 only exclusive, it will find its way on ps3 soon after.

regarding the question, i think sony have offered money for exclusivity on mgs4, good job too, because if it was multiplat it would obviously have been dumbed down, ie dvd and hd space

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Pristine20 said:
starcraft said:
Lone_Canis_Lupus said:

I won't be buying it though. Can't stand stealth games.

A release on 360 is highly unlikely. You even said yourself that Sony probably footed the bill for the development of this game thats why they were deep in the red. A bundled game defines the console. Have you ever seen a game that was bundled appear on any other console but the one it was released with? This is why the 360 release is unlikely. It has nothing to do with number of discs or any other stupid fanboy rants.

Marvel: Ultimate Alliance was bundled with the XBox360 Premium last holiday season.  Though I believe an XBox360 release of MGS4 is highly unlikely as well.

Lone_Canis_Lupus said:
Munkeh111 said:
@ lone, Uncharted is 1st party, resistance and ratchet are basically 1st party

Did Naughty Dog go first party? Or were they first party all along? Either way, I feel stupid, lol

Like in 2001, they have been 1st party for ages

1. No direct money upfront (Konami will be able to make a profit just on the PS3).

2. Bundle, advertising.

3. Yes.