By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Top 10 Most overrated games of this decade

Griffin said:
RolStoppable said:

I am too tired to rank them, but here are 10 games that should make such a list:

• Halo 2
  • Halo 3
  • Final Fantasy XII
  • Metal Gear Solid 2
  • GTA IV
  • Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl
  • Halo
  • GTA: San Andreas
  • GTA: Vice City

Yeah, I know, a lot of Halo and GTA in this list.

EDIT: I compiled this list by skimming over the top 100 ranked games on gamerankings.

One thing i don't understand with your list is how you feel the games are overrated.  Golden eye Brought FPS gaming to the modern day consoles, they are by far the best FPS games you can buy on a system.  Nothing even comes close to what the Halo series has down for the FPS community, and Halo raised the bar even further then anyone can dream to reach.

The GTA games may be full of bugs and glitches, but again they have changed gaming, and for that i don't see how they can be overrated.   

There are many console fps better than halo. Timesplitters, the orange box, Cod 4 to name a few. Goldeneye was more revolutionary than halo.

HOw did gta change gaming, they may be sandbox games but they are by no means the first.

Around the Network

He forgot Ninjabread Man.

RolStoppable said:

I am too tired to rank them, but here are 10 games that should make such a list:

• Halo 2
  • Halo 3
  • Final Fantasy XII
  • Metal Gear Solid 2
  • GTA IV
  • Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl
  • Halo
  • GTA: San Andreas
  • GTA: Vice City

Yeah, I know, a lot of Halo and GTA in this list.

EDIT: I compiled this list by skimming over the top 100 ranked games on gamerankings.

Man, you Australians are so smart. I agree with every game on this list, but I would also add
 Beyond Good & Evil <- this part is not a joke at all.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

I am surprised to see Black & White up there. I hear nothing but good things about that game.

I never played it myself, but I want to check it out.

Is the first or second one better?

I agree though with SMG, yeah I played the game through until I beat bowser but after that what incentive is there to collect all the stars? Better yet, what incentive to collect them all over again with Luigi? Slighty altered Star Festival, is that it for wasting all that time?

It was good, but nowhere near a 10.

GTA IV should be on there as well.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

SMG? Crazy Taxi? Nintnedogs? Sims? Fable? Yeah you really are 'reel gamers'.

SSBB: 1977-0005-2980 (JOEY) MKWii: 4382-2877-5902 (Joeykanga)
Wii:4027-0084-9432-1532             PM me if you add me.
Tag courtesy of fkusumot: Joeykanga - "Just post something once, don't ruin the thread"
Around the Network

Games that sold well but had both lovers and haters of that game are what we call over rated games. That applies to most top selling games of all time.

Anyway just enjoy your games and do not take it personally if someone says your favorite game is over rated.

That list is pretty insulting, to be honest. If those are the most over-rated games of all time, then the gaming industry is a shiny pot of excellence in an otherwise crap brown money driven world.

However, the reality is those aren't even close to being the most over-rated games of all time. Here is the real list, from yours truly from the PS1-PS3 eras:

10. The Elder Scroll Series: Morrowind and Oblivion. Excellent WRPGs, but these games score so well based on their vastness, they are great, but they are pretty much at least 5 to 10 percent over-rated on average.

9. Halo 3: It's a great game, but it just didn't evolve the series and certainly doesn't deserve to be called one of the best games of all time.

8. Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories, with an 85/100, nosir, that game isn't as good as Disgaea 1 by a longshot. It's over-rated by a good little bit, while Disgaea 1 is under-rated.

7. Final Fantasy X-2: It's not bad really, just about 8 percent over-rated

6. Nascar 2005: Chase for the cup 88/100 gamerankings

5. Tony Hawk Pro Skater series as a whole: You can hardly find one under 90/100. At least 3 of them are significantly over-rated.

4. Nintendogs - Obviously

3. Chrono Cross(It's good, but over-rated when you look at other JRPGs) 92/100 gamerankings(10/10 gamespot)

2. NCAA Football 2004: 93/100 gamerankings(This is a madden knockoff with crowd noise, and it didn't deserve AAA then, it doesn't deserve it now. Trust me, I played the hell out of it.)

1. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty: 95/100 gamerankings, this game nearly ruined the MGS series, and it's one of the worst games and biggest dissapointments that I have personally, ever played.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

At the end of the day: sales numbers count a lot more than some stupid reviews of games. Actions speak louder than words.

Euphoria14 said:

I am surprised to see Black & White up there. I hear nothing but good things about that game.

I never played it myself, but I want to check it out.

Is the first or second one better?

I agree though with SMG, yeah I played the game through until I beat bowser but after that what incentive is there to collect all the stars? Better yet, what incentive to collect them all over again with Luigi? Slighty altered Star Festival, is that it for wasting all that time?

It was good, but nowhere near a 10.

GTA IV should be on there as well.

Second is better. The first was an entirely bloated game with impossible play mechanics and a rubbish interface. The second one is a pretty fun city simulator. I actually loved spending time just winning the game with popularity and volcanos. 

If you're anything like me though you won't use creatures - they are just a nuisance.

I'm still pissed about Harvest Moon being on the list, the game is a niche series with a devoted fanbase that never gets any mainstream attention. How the fuck is that being over-rated? Its generally ignored by the majority of gamers for gods sake.

Was Crazy Taxi ever overrated??

SMG deserves the top spot though. A predictable choice, but thoroughly deserved.

PSN - hanafuda