By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Top 10 Most overrated games of this decade

Bursche said:
Griffin said:
sc94597 said:
Griffin said:
RolStoppable said:

I am too tired to rank them, but here are 10 games that should make such a list:

• Halo 2
  • Halo 3
  • Final Fantasy XII
  • Metal Gear Solid 2
  • GTA IV
  • Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl
  • Halo
  • GTA: San Andreas
  • GTA: Vice City

Yeah, I know, a lot of Halo and GTA in this list.

EDIT: I compiled this list by skimming over the top 100 ranked games on gamerankings.

One thing i don't understand with your list is how you feel the games are overrated. Golden eye Brought FPS gaming to the modern day consoles, they are by far the best FPS games you can buy on a system. Nothing even comes close to what the Halo series has down for the FPS community, and Halo raised the bar even further then anyone can dream to reach.

The GTA games may be full of bugs and glitches, but again they have changed gaming, and for that i don't see how they can be overrated.

There are many console fps better than halo. Timesplitters, the orange box, Cod 4 to name a few. Goldeneye was more revolutionary than halo.

HOw did gta change gaming, they may be sandbox games but they are by no means the first.

I consider Gloden eye to be an old style FPS and does not fall into the modern day FPS world.  I also don't see how you can say Timesplitters is up there with other great FPS games, its a total old school FPS game with no influence on todays FPS world.  It was also the first game i owned back in the day for my PS2 and i still own it to this day and its not very good, there was no story and the controls are very bad. 

The orange box/Half-life world have had no real impact on Console games.  Most of the fun from those games comes from the mods you get on the computer for them anyways.  CoD4 is a good game but it holds nothing to what halo3 has brought to the table this gen.  I have played CoD4 a lot as you tell from my SiG, its not really anything new, its a step towards perfection of a modern day shooter

How is Goldeneye and Timesplitters "old school"? Both really were awesome games (Timesplitters 2 was amazing). All Halo did was be overrated to the point of mass hysteria. If you really think that Halo has revolutionized FPS, then you havent been gaming very long (which I assume you havent) 

I loved Timesplitters level creator back in the day.

@Rath

Thanks, I picked up both just in case. :)

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network

Resistance and/or Bioshock belong there, Bioshock moreso methinks. I actually agree with SMG being one of the most overrated games of all time. GTA 4 and Ocarina of time belong there as well(both very good but overrated.)

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

Bursche said:
Griffin said:
sc94597 said:
Griffin said:
RolStoppable said:

I am too tired to rank them, but here are 10 games that should make such a list:

• Halo 2
  • Halo 3
  • Final Fantasy XII
  • Metal Gear Solid 2
  • GTA IV
  • Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl
  • Halo
  • GTA: San Andreas
  • GTA: Vice City

Yeah, I know, a lot of Halo and GTA in this list.

EDIT: I compiled this list by skimming over the top 100 ranked games on gamerankings.

One thing i don't understand with your list is how you feel the games are overrated. Golden eye Brought FPS gaming to the modern day consoles, they are by far the best FPS games you can buy on a system. Nothing even comes close to what the Halo series has down for the FPS community, and Halo raised the bar even further then anyone can dream to reach.

The GTA games may be full of bugs and glitches, but again they have changed gaming, and for that i don't see how they can be overrated.

There are many console fps better than halo. Timesplitters, the orange box, Cod 4 to name a few. Goldeneye was more revolutionary than halo.

HOw did gta change gaming, they may be sandbox games but they are by no means the first.

I consider Gloden eye to be an old style FPS and does not fall into the modern day FPS world. I also don't see how you can say Timesplitters is up there with other great FPS games, its a total old school FPS game with no influence on todays FPS world. It was also the first game i owned back in the day for my PS2 and i still own it to this day and its not very good, there was no story and the controls are very bad.

The orange box/Half-life world have had no real impact on Console games. Most of the fun from those games comes from the mods you get on the computer for them anyways. CoD4 is a good game but it holds nothing to what halo3 has brought to the table this gen. I have played CoD4 a lot as you tell from my SiG, its not really anything new, its a step towards perfection of a modern day shooter

How is Goldeneye and Timesplitters "old school"? Both really were awesome games (Timesplitters 2 was amazing). All Halo did was be overrated to the point of mass hysteria. If you really think that Halo has revolutionized FPS, then you havent been gaming very long (which I assume you havent)

Halo revolutionized console FPS. Before Halo, controls were shit. Try to play Goldeneye using the N64 controller now and you'll see just how inferior it is. Halo also brought in co-op and decent multiplayer (Goldeneye already had decent multiplayer covered).

Now, virtually every console shooter rips something from Halo when it comes to controls. If you want to minimize that impact, feel free.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

CDiablo said:
Resistance and/or Bioshock belong there, Bioshock moreso methinks. I actually agree with SMG being one of the most overrated games of all time. GTA 4 and Ocarina of time belong there as well(both very good but overrated.)

Have you ever played Bioshock?

Just in terms of atmosphere alone the game deserves to never be on that list.

Looking at your sig... Nice choice with Metal Slug. :)

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

I agree with Halo 3. Edge however, with their ludicrous 10/10 disagree tho

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Around the Network

This person makes it explicitly clear that he likes narrative in his games. That's stated in several of the reviews: "Where's da narrative!" As such, games like Nintendogs, The Sims, and Super Mario Galaxy will be completely disinteresting to him, as they deliberately and intentionally lack narrative.

I've come to love people who assume that narrative/story telling in games is automatically a good thing. It's one thing to prefer it, but some seem to believe that it is unquestionably good. I can just imagine a conversation between this author and Wil Wright:

Author: "Your games lack narrative."
Wright: "I know. I did that on purpose."

And apparently, a lot of people agree with Wright's choice. I mean, a lot of people.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

While I think SMG is somewhat overrated, it certainly wasn't the single most overrated game of this decade. For me, I'd have to say that goes to either Super Smash Bros Brawl or FFXII(unfortunately)

Rock_on_2008 said:
Games that sold well but had both lovers and haters of that game are what we call over rated games. That applies to most top selling games of all time.

Anyway just enjoy your games and do not take it personally if someone says your favorite game is over rated.
I totally agree. People should stop giving a toss about what other people think, and just play their favourite games. I have loads of games that I love, that other people dont. Do I care? No. As long as I enjoy it.

Kyros said:
Nintendogs, Sims, Harvest Moon are no game
 Gimme a f**g break! 

No games? so what is "a game"? something with a huge script, thousands of gameplay hours, complex controls, good guys vs bad guys and action every 5 seconds? what are you? 10?

From what I've seen, Halo 3 should probably be the top spot there. Most XB fans really found it lackluster compared to their expectations, and to so quickly have fallen into the background to COD4 really proves the point that the Halo series is likely finished, at least for a long while.

So on a site called ReelGamers.com, would they only enjoy fishing games? Or are they just inbred? And why were YOU going there? ;)