By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Top 10 Most overrated games of this decade

What an absolute crap list!

Overrated does not mean "didn't live up to the hype or the expectations"
Overrated does not mean "is selling great despite bad reviews".

Overrated means that a game is rated higher by reviewers/gamers than you think it deserves.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

I am too tired to rank them, but here are 10 games that should make such a list:

• Halo 2
  • Halo 3
  • Final Fantasy XII
  • Metal Gear Solid 2
  • GTA IV
  • Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl
  • Halo
  • GTA: San Andreas
  • GTA: Vice City

Yeah, I know, a lot of Halo and GTA in this list.

EDIT: I compiled this list by skimming over the top 100 ranked games on gamerankings.

Fixed

Remember your history or you are doomed to repeat it.

Viacom Boycott

Smeags said:

For those who haven't seen the list (and won't bother giving the creator more page views, I salute you!)...

10. Black and White
9. Dead or Alive
8. The Getaway
7. Crazy Taxi
6. Harvest Moon
5. Fable
4. Need For Speed Carbon/Prostreet
3. The Sims
2. Nintendogs
1. Super Mario Galaxy

That list is all wrong. It should be:

Super Mario Sunshine
Resident Evil 4
Mario Kart Double Dash
Super Smash Brother Melee
Eternal Darkness
Metroid Prime
Soul Calibur II (edited)
Viewtiful Joe
Legend of Zelda The Wind Waker
Metroid Prime 2

Notice that the site is "reel gamers" (or real).

It seems like a site for young teenagers who need to feel like they are manly and have big balls. Of course "hardcore mature" games like GTA and Halo aren't on the list.

Smeags said:

For those who haven't seen the list (and won't bother giving the creator more page views, I salute you!)...

10. Black and White Disagree
9. Dead or Alive    DOA 2 was good the others overrated especially DOA4.
8. The Getaway Overrated,  It had like bad reviews?
7. Crazy Taxi   Great game at that time but now it is like a minigame for some other games like GTA III
6. Harvest Moon  Well I never liked the series so I am not going to give my opinion on that one
5. Fable  The first one yes the one with the extra's no!!
4. Need For Speed Carbon/Prostreet  Pff Disagree
3. The Sims   Agree,  bro I hated it =p.
2. Nintendogs  Could be so much better but is on the DS so no opinion from me
1. Super Mario Galaxy...What?    boycott those guys!

My opinion!

The site's name:   REEL GAMERS <=  DISAGREE!!

Around the Network

I think they mean "Reel" gamers as in....fishing. Maybe they just thought of the most popular games that didn't involve much fishing and called them overrated and made a list. Although I think Harvest Moon has fishing, at least one of them...

He seems to begin with attacking inflated reviews, but then he mentions the Getaway, Harvest Moon Series, NFS: Carbon/ProStreet.   I wouldn't say games that averaged in the 70's are overrated.  Fable and Nintendogs also didn't really receive glowing reviews.

I understand that not everybody likes SMG, but most overrated game of the decade?

No Gears of War. Already I don't like this list. I mean I can see SMG being on there simply because everyone loved it. I mean when something becomes the best game of its time you always have to include it as the most overrated game as well. Jsut that's how it goes. But then it follows no pattern. Where's Gears of War, GTA IV, Bioshock, Metroid Prime 3, ect.

fkusumot said:
Smeags said:

10. Black and White
9. Dead or Alive
8. The Getaway
7. Crazy Taxi
6. Harvest Moon
5. Fable
4. Need For Speed Carbon/Prostreet
3. The Sims
2. Nintendogs
1. Super Mario Galaxy

That list is all wrong. It should be:

Super Mario Sunshine
Resident Evil 4
Mario Kart Double Dash
Super Smash Brother Melee
Eternal Darkness
Metroid Prime
Soul Calibur II (edited)
Viewtiful Joe
Legend of Zelda The Wind Waker
Metroid Prime 2

Wow, way to hate on the GameCube!  Only game I agree with on that list is Mario Sunshine.

I don't really have a top ten but some of the more recent overrated games IMO are:

Halo 3 (#1 most overrated and overhyped game ever, EVER!)

Grand Theft Auto 4 (great game, but not quite worthy of all the perfect 10s it received)

Super Smash Bros. Brawl (totally not worth the 6 year wait IMO)

Enter the Matrix (most overhyped licensed game ever)

Crysis (overrated by grafix whores everywhere)

Zack & Wiki (don't get me wrong, great game, but people love to shower it with WAY to much praise) 

The Wii (HA!  I kid, I kid...)

The topic list is definitely garbage... only one I somewhat agree with is the Sims series. The last game that should be on there is Harvest Moon, if anything it's underrated.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.