By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The whining about installations is unnecessary....

I agree with all that, installations shouldn't be necessary. I also wonder myself why an Uncharted doesn't require any installations, but a Devil May Cry 4 asks over 20min installation time!. Ratchet & Clank on the other hand, its installation only takes about 2 minutes, though eats over 4GB HDD.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

Around the Network
*~Onna76~* said:
Guys I only tried to give some advice I didn't ask for Nintendo nor 360 fans to go around flaming here

Some people here are really sensitive to the "stop whining" threads...

Still the three consoles are having some kind of issues with the storage medium...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."

I think the reason it bothers me, Onna, isn't that I don't know how to manage it. My PS3 now has a 250 GB Hard Drive, so I don't have to worry about space.

My problem is that consoles are supposed to be simpler than PCs. That was the whole reason consoles took off in the first place: they're simpler and more streamlined than a PC. All the fuss of installs and OS upgrades are removed. Now, with installs and upgrades and multiple system SKUs, that strength isn't as apparent. If we're going to have to deal with upgrades and installs, why not just get a PC in the first place? 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Bodhesatva said:

I think the reason it bothers me, Onna, isn't that I don't know how to manage it. My PS3 now has a 250 GB Hard Drive, so I don't have to worry about space.

My problem is that consoles are supposed to be simpler than PCs. That was the whole reason consoles took off in the first place: they're simpler and more streamlined than a PC. All the fuss of installs and OS upgrades are removed. Now, with installs and upgrades and multiple system SKUs, that strength isn't as apparent. If we're going to have to deal with upgrades and installs, why not just get a PC in the first place?

Consoles are simpler than PC's, you have to manage your file structor and don't forget about manually installing things such as drivers on the PC. 

IllegalPaladin said:
Bodhesatva said:

Consoles are simpler than PC's, you have to manage your file structor and don't forget about manually installing things such as drivers on the PC.

Right, right, I understand the PS3 isn't quite as complex as a modern PC: that's not the point I'm making. Instead, I'm saying that installs and OS upgrades are moving the PS3 away from the core strength of consoles; a less fussy, less complicated machine to play games on. 

We aren't at PC level complexity yet, but we're clearly heading down that road, and at some point, we're going to have to ask: "wait, why are we playing on consoles instead of a  PC again?"  

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network
Bodhesatva said:

You spared me countless minutes of trying to think and type. My sleep deprived brain thanks you. My thoughts exactly!

*~Onna76~* said:
konnichiwaa said:
You are right my princess, but somehow I lost one of my savefiles though (Oblivion) and I don't know if it is the because I deleted the game of something else..Can't really tell =/.

Looks like you've removed it yourself my prince I've tested myself, today, with Oblivion and when I removed the game data, the saved data was still in the map where it should be.

Well since I hear a lot of whining from people that they had to buy bigger HDD to save up all their game data, I thought to put this thread here.

So basically its like people are too lazy to reinstall games, well Oblivion doesn't ask for an installation (5+GB!), R&C only takes about 2 minutes (4+GB!),... yeah Devil May Cry 4, agree, that's a pain with the waiting. But not every games take that long to install.

But that's basically the same thing as saying that people are too lazy to replace their harddrives. After all, getting a bigger HDD is much more simpler solution in the long run, it just requires more work to start with. And the 40GB isn't really much space, when you have several gigabytes installs on it.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

CrazzyMan said:
Console were made for ->
plug and play.

IF uncharted can have NO installs and NO downloadings, then WHY other games can`t?
Games with installs should be boycot, unless these games are masterpiece like MGS4, FFXIII, GT5 or LBP, where installing is accepable thing.

Though, on x360 you have to DEAL with NOISE of dvd-rom. And that SUX too.

I'm ashamed to say it but i agree with you

I agree with Crazzyman and others as well and welcome back Lolita

@bd... true, but then I'm too lazy to spit out over 100USD for a HDD

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

Since we have now seen the streaming extravaganza that is Uncharted, people realize that the installs are a more a matter of developer effort than anything else.
Now, if developers were actually using it to really, really benefit the game (it has got to be major, if it is to be excusable) then I can accept it.
But when you look at a game like Devil May Cry 4 (long installation, 4,5 GB space on the HDD, packed with loading screens) and compare it to Uncharted (no installation, all data streamed to the harddrive and cached, the only loading screens you see are the ones when you start the game), it tells the consumer that Devil May Cry had sloppy developers.
I don't think that we have had a single PS3 game, which required an installation, that could not have been made to stream all the data from the disc. Even Oblivion.

Please Naughty Dog! Let all PS3 developers have a go at your streaming technology, save our harddrives!