By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Mario Sluggers was more casual control than Wii Sports baseball NOOOO

http://wii.com/jp/articles/mario-stadium/

It only needs a flick of the wrist for you to play :( 

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

Around the Network

Meh. doesn't that kinda take away from the experience.. Like, for casuals?

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

but it's attached with "Mario", so it will sell 5 million just from that.

As long as there's fielding and base running, it should be an okay baseball game.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

I was never interested in the game, but wow, excellent screw-up there, Nintendo. Really, what the fuck are you doing?

Is there still charging up the bat and moving around in the batter's box? What about power shots?

Never argue with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Brawl FC: 0473-7449-8088

Around the Network

Okay, about 3 different things here:

Are you japanese or can read this stuff well enough that you're saying those are the only things you need for certain, or are those just the main controller movements featured, and for all you know there are possibly a crapload of other button configurations to set on top of that?

could there perhaps be casual and hardcore controller styles?

I thought hardcore gamers were the ones complaining about having to flail around all over the place, so isn't this more suited to them? They need to make up their mind what exactly it is they want from motion controls.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GziDFiJIE90

Here is a video of the controls. It really isn't all that casual just because you don't have to swing ALL the way through. Whereas in Wii Sports the speed of the pitch or the swing speed were determined by how fast the Wii Remote was swung, in Superstar Baseball it was about how much it was charged. If you do a backswing you get more power than if you flick your wrist. Flicking your wrist will only get you a grounder or line drive just like in Wii sports baseball. Most of all, Wii Sports pitching you chose the direction of the pitch before you did it while in Mario Baseball you must twist your wrist (according to the video at least). The Wii version of Mario baseball is only staying faithful to the gamecube version, it is not trying to be Wii sports baseball.

Never argue with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Brawl FC: 0473-7449-8088

And Nintendos next baseball game features even more casual controls; you push a button to throw/hit the ball.

As for my example above, you can see, that the controls are taken to more "hardcore" direction. And it's called upstreaming.
The idea in Wii Sports is to introduce people to gaming with gameplay that imitates real-life sports. And now, Super Mario Sluggers is introducing the same people to games that you play while sitting on your couch, using controls that are familiar from Wii Sports. Next step will be for them to pick even more "traditional" game to play.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

you know in wiisports baseball all you needed is a flick of the wrist to bat or pitch. a quick flick and bam 94mph fast ball/curve/screwball

i'll wait for the reviews before buying.

my 7yr old plays only ssbb and mkwii currently...

Grey Acumen said:
Okay, about 3 different things here:

Are you japanese or can read this stuff well enough that you're saying those are the only things you need for certain, or are those just the main controller movements featured, and for all you know there are possibly a crapload of other button configurations to set on top of that?

could there perhaps be casual and hardcore controller styles?

I thought hardcore gamers were the ones complaining about having to flail around all over the place, so isn't this more suited to them? They need to make up their mind what exactly it is they want from motion controls.

I thought its the core gamers that dont want to waggle much this game is totally a waggle control. In Wii Sports baseball you totally control your body when pitching and hitting the ball, the problem was you cant control the field play so its a set score. Thats the reason why is not a perfect baseball game. In here, I just dont know. And yeah, Im the one who posted the controls in the game yesterday so after seeing this you only really need was the wiimote...

edit: I've read bdbd's post seem he has a point. So this is upstreaming? Never knew that for a second. OK then but Ninty sure is weird for upstreaming the market, you never thought that this casual game was really a bridge game. 

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg