By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Guitar Hero III Wii version will pass GHIII 360 version

For the last couple of months the Wii version of GHIII has outsold the 360 version.

Currently the WW sales totals are:

360: 3,012,750
Wii:  2,739,800

Which is a difference of  272,950.

Last week sales were:

Wii:  47,063
360: 37,798

Which is a difference of 9,265.

At that rate it would take the Wii version about 30 weeks to pass the 360 version or by the week ending January 3, 2009. 

Now, we all know game sales do not remain constant like that. Over time its sales slowly decline and begin to level off and then eventually die out completely. Also, the Wii version's weekly sales gap has been slowly widening each week, showing that the 360's version is declining in sales faster.

With that in mind I give you this projection.

I have tried to continue out the current trends and as you can see the Wii version should pass in about 14 weeks or about half the time as shown above. This would mean the Wii version should pass the 360 version by week ending September 6th, 2008.

Now, I could very well be completely wrong with the 360 version's rate of change. But, at most I think it could take 20 weeks or by  October 18, 2008.

You may be asking yourself, "Why do I care?", well I care because this a big game. If the Wii version comes out on top before the end of 2008, you can bet your panties that we will see far less PS360/PC only multi-platform games.

Now I know one game doesn't make it or break it, but, I think this type of AAA quality multi-platform games selling better on Wii will only continue and eventually make Wii the primary development console.  

Around the Network

That is an awesome achievement it will be for the Wii.
Considering the growth the Wii took over in America from the Xbox 360 :)

I was deciding whether I should get the Wii version or the Xbox 360 version.

Wii: well it will be easier to get my family around
X360: achievements and online purposes

So more than likely I will buy the Wii version of Guitar Hero III.

this will also prove wii can sell big games,and remember 360 version could be bought without the guitar(cause of GH2 owners)and wii version cant,i think GH4 will be the best selling on wii,even beating the ps2 version

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

@brute, me too. I think Wii's GH4 will be best as well.

It's doubtful considering Aerosmith, Rock Band, and GH IV should all lower Wii and 360 version sales to a point where it would take too much to overtake it. Wii version should end it's cycle probably around 3.1 million total.

Around the Network

Considering GH is a casual title this was expected.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

The PS2 will be so decayed by holiday season '08 that Guitar Hero World Tour will sell best on the Wii, easily.

The gap has actually been closing in America (as least from what I've noticed), but the Wii version still has a definite chance to pass it. I expect that the Wii version will have a 100k lead by the time World Tour comes out. If it doesn't, World Tour will push more copies.

superchunk said:

For the last couple of months the Wii version of GHIII has outsold the 360 version.

Currently the WW sales totals are:

360: 3,012,750
Wii:  2,739,800

Which is a difference of  272,950.

Last week sales were:

Wii:  47,063
360: 37,798

Which is a difference of 9,265.

At that rate it would take the Wii version about 30 weeks to pass the 360 version or by the week ending January 3, 2009. 

Now, we all know game sales do not remain constant like that. Over time its sales slowly decline and begin to level off and then eventually die out completely. Also, the Wii version's weekly sales gap has been slowly widening each week, showing that the 360's version is declining in sales faster.

With that in mind I give you this projection.

I have tried to continue out the current trends and as you can see the Wii version should pass in about 14 weeks or about half the time as shown above. This would mean the Wii version should pass the 360 version by week ending September 6th, 2008.

Now, I could very well be completely wrong with the 360 version's rate of change. But, at most I think it could take 20 weeks or by  October 18, 2008.

You may be asking yourself, "Why do I care?", well I care because this a big game. If the Wii version comes out on top before the end of 2008, you can bet your panties that we will see far less PS360/PC only multi-platform games.

Now I know one game doesn't make it or break it, but, I think this type of AAA quality multi-platform games selling better on Wii will only continue and eventually make Wii the primary development console.  

Yea My first post!!!!

Wow. First off let me start of by saying theres been alot of these threads popping up recently and the mods should really do something about it. Wii fanboys and SONY fanboys create threads like these everyday bashing the 360 in some way. First of all, are u from NDF(Nintendo Defense Force)? I remember SDF doing something like this too. I don't see how this will happen as Rock Band its biggest competitor isn't even released yet. And when it does expect GH3 to drop. The two bolded comments make you one big desperate Wii fanboy looking for more 3rd party games. LOL primary development console? What are you smoking? Wiid(weed)?

Zucas said:
It's doubtful considering Aerosmith, Rock Band, and GH IV should all lower Wii and 360 version sales to a point where it would take too much to overtake it. Wii version should end it's cycle probably around 3.1 million total.

I would think Aerosmith would help Wii. I mean don't you need GHIII to play it?

I don't think RB will do much.

When does GH4 release? I'm betting not until 2009. If it does happen this year, well then my hypothesis is ruined. 

GH4 is coming this year.