By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Guitar Hero III Wii version will pass GHIII 360 version

I think that people put too much value into GH Aerosmith. Not everyone likes or can even tolerate Aerosmith. The one thing I personally value in GH games is the diverity of music and bands in the playlist. I don't think it's going to be as big a hit or detractor from GH3 as people are saying. Gh4 (World Tour) is a different story. This is taking GH series to a whole new level. In fact, I feel that people who know about GH4 will likely wait for it instead of getting Rock Band. (Which is fine with me, as MTV could burn to the ground for what I care). No one really wants 2 sets of band video game accessories littering their rooms.

Around the Network
jlauro said:
starcraft said:
It has to be remembered that a game that sells 3 million copies over the course of a year isn't nearly as profitable as a game that sells 5 million copies on day one.

The most obvious reason is price drops, but the less noticeable reason is the loss of economies of scale as shipments get smaller, and the cost to retail of maintaining stock and shelf space over longer periods of time.

It isn't the most important factor publishers consider (they'd much rather have legs where the option is NOT to have them), but it is a factor.

You are forgetting other little factors such as development costs.  One game might need to sell 4 million copies to break even, and the other might break even with 200,000.

Believable with some titles, but with GH3?  I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have been too much more for PS3 and Xbox 360.

In any case, doesn't the Wii lack music downloads?  IF it does, revenue from the Xbox 360 version (and profit) would be MUCH larger.  And if the Wii DOES have music downloads, its still not good enough for it to marginally beat the 360 version over the long-term, as all the 360 owners that bought the game in the first few weeks have been buying music this whole time.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

i believe the next GH will have DLC for wii.

Exactly how is this some sort of monumental achievement again? The 360 has Rock Band (which is still selling +30k each week in the US), and Guitar Hero 2 (+10k in the US alone)...Whereas the Wii just has GH3.

It's hard to make a strong value comparison when you have 1 major rhythm IP for sale, and 3 on the other.

If you take into account the fact that each Wii GH3 sold is a brand new unit with guitar, more than likely the Wii outsold the 360 in terms of bundled units quite some time ago. Which IMO, makes the discussion moot.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Your assuming that when the new GH comes out it wont kill off the GHIII sales....

"Like you know"

Around the Network
lenardo1 said:
i believe the next GH will have DLC for wii.

I believe this is a fact by now...

superchunk said:
Zucas said:
It's doubtful considering Aerosmith, Rock Band, and GH IV should all lower Wii and 360 version sales to a point where it would take too much to overtake it. Wii version should end it's cycle probably around 3.1 million total.

I would think Aerosmith would help Wii. I mean don't you need GHIII to play it?

What gave you that idea?  That is not the way GH works.  You put in DVD and are good to go.  

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

Revenues of the Wii version might be higher than the 360 version considering that all the Wii versions were sold with a Guitar. GH3 for 360 was sold w/o guitar also. Any figures on the GH3 standalone and GH3 + Guitar sales

Heeeeyyyy!!!! <Snap>

GH3 is the perfect kind of multiplatform game for the Wii. The GH games are not titans of graphical presentation and they have a very broad appeal. However, you are not going to be able to make blanket statements regarding how this will affect mutliplatform games brought to the Wii based on this. One fact that Wii owners must accept is that while the Wii is a great, innovative, system, Nintendo's decision to not sink much development into the graphic capabilities of the system, it's unique control system, and its poor online and DLC implementation will continue to affect it's ability to attract Wii versions of many games. These are the factors that ensure while the Wii sells a great many more systems, it will never be the dominant platform for all games. It will be the dominant platform for games that play to its strengths.

I give this thread a 9.1.

Thank god for the disable signatures option.

who cares lol.... the wii has like 8m more consles

Proud Owner of  a Wii and Xbox 360 and a PS3(When I get the money)