By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - MGS4 recieves PERFECT 40/40 from Famitsu.

That's pretty impressive. I think less than 5 or 10 games have ever gotten a perfect score.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network
colonelstubbs said:
Oh look, another independant reviewer gives MGS4 a great score, and immediately all the anti-sony group come rushing to degrade Famitsu....its getting a bit silly now.

Actually, most of us stopped paying attention to Famitsu over a year ago when we realized that every highly-anticipated game started getting 37/40 or better.

Then they admitted to rating games on what fans wanted to see and we just rolled our eyes. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

I respect Famitsu. I really do. My thing is: Americans, Europeans, etc. have severely different tastes. Why is the opinion of this Japanese magazine given so much weight, when their definition of a great game may not match ours? Do we let Japanese TV Guide recommend our TV shows? Do we let Japanese Ebert and Roper rank our movies? Do we let Japanese Shigeru Miyamoto design our Mario Games? Then why DO we care what Famitsu says? *I'm the meat in a Mod-Sandwich......gulp.*

rocketpig said:
colonelstubbs said:
Oh look, another independant reviewer gives MGS4 a great score, and immediately all the anti-sony group come rushing to degrade Famitsu....its getting a bit silly now.

Actually, most of us stopped paying attention to Famitsu over a year ago when we realized that every highly-anticipated game started getting 37/40 or better.

Then they admitted to rating games on what fans wanted to see and we just rolled our eyes. 

I stopped after they gave FFXII a 40/40.  Then when I read their crap about giving fans reviews they wanted, I just laughed and shook my head.

akuma587 said:
That's pretty impressive. I think less than 5 or 10 games have ever gotten a perfect score.

i think they have only given out 7 perfect review scores

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network

Did they actually say they give out the scores the fans want? Wow...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

^they gave the score they though was right

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

I think if you asked "what is perfect?" most people in their right mind would answer : "nothing is perfect". However, the same people would agree with "perfect" scores given to books, movies, hotels, schools, hair dryers, whatever. People have agreed on top scores, and they're convinced these don't mean something is "flawless". For entertainment media ranging from books to television and games, giving top scores is an everyday thing as it is a popularity thing. People want to see it. Movies are given "perfect" scores everyday, books too, and many other things. Why the "perfect" score should remain a myth in videogame reviews is beyond me. It's no big deal, people get it, a "top score" doesn't mean it's perfect. For something to be declared perfect, besides being flawless, it would have to be considered "perfect by everybody". Just the concept of perfect is ridiculous. It's just impossible. So I just chuckle when people say some media outlet lost all credibility beacuse it awarded a top score to certain game. C'mon, they know better than that, besides isn't a review just a single opinion?

brute said:
^they gave the score they though was right

They gave the score people wanted for a good game.  Famitsu is just advertising, not journalism.

I give that post a 9.1.

Thank god for the disable signatures option.

twesterm said:
DTG said:
shio said:
It's Famitsu, who cares...

Famitsu is only the most influential gaming publication in japan and one of the most respected in the world. Think before you speak.

No, shio is quite right. Famitsu is beyond worthless in their review catagory.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/famitsu/famitsu-for-beginners-222494.php

They give out reviews based on what fans want. As I told everyone with their Haze review, even if they do happen to give MGS4 the score it deserves it doesn't matter. They still freely admit to giving out reviews based on what fans want.

When it came out that Gamespot did something similar everyone had their pitchforks handy, but since Famitsu is Japanse people are more forgiving for some odd reason.

Oh, so it's just like I had suspected.

Are these scores ever included in Gamerankings/Metacritic?