By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why do people keep claiming MGS4 is PS3's saviour?

Euphoria14 said:
FJ-Warez said:
I keep saying it, good soft sales, small boost on hardware for a limited time (like GTA4)...

BIG difference.

GTAIV is multiplatform so the increase will be smaller due to the fact that the game is available on multiple systems. 

MGS4 however has potential to do more since it is only on the PS3, meaning people WILL need to buy one in order to play, they can't just pick up a copy for the 360 or PC later on.

Nope, GTA4 is a multi, but it comes from a line of tittles with great sales, the last one GTA:SA sold at least 4 times the MGS3 numbers (17 millions vs 4 millions)

So if GTA, a bigger game than MGS, could not push the sales for a long time, I'm not expecting to MGS4 do any better...

@starcraft nice find out...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."
Around the Network
CrazzyMan said:
@superchunk, on that graph, x360 had a PRICECUT and PS3 just GT5P release. =))
After that PS3 numbers were always near or above 100k.

Anyway, there was only GT5P bundle in Europe for last cople months.
NOW we will get WW MGS4 bundle. Moreover, in USA there will again released 80GB model, which will have additional boost. =)

GTA4 wasn`t bundled. Had a multiplatform launch.
Maybe MGS potentially has only 5-6 mln. sellthrough, still that`s MANY people. And NOT all of them bought PS3.
+ MGS4 will define NEXTGEN gaming for next years. =)

Well, just wait 2 weeks and you will see. :)

p.s. i wish Europe and Japan would have 80GB model too, then increase would be BIGger. =)

With the Wii...No it wasn't. It was however bundled with the PS3! 

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

azrm2k said:
Every major game has and will continue to be called the PS3's savior until the next one is up.

I guarantee KZ2, FF13, GT5 will all get the same treatment. Just ignore it and move on.

Those games are quite a ways out yet. I think that when MGS 4 barely affects PS3 sales, PS3 fans will proclaim that the "inevitable fall price drop" will be next savior, since GT5 and FF13 are due out later than Summer of next year, and Killzone 2's release date is currently scheduled for Fall 2007 February 2008 Fall 2008 early 2009.

GT4's total boost of PS3s and Xbox 360s combined, as small as it is, is much more than MGS4 can hope to get since GTA has always been about 3x as big of a deal as MGS.  GTA just has much wider appeal.

darthdevidem01 said:
@eliasg

that doesn't make sense as GEOw hasn't outsold a single MGS

That's not true. According to VGC it has outsold no. 3, and let's not forget that Gears is still selling. I expect it to easily pass 1 and 2 by the end of the 360's lifetime.

eliasg said:

Gears of War 2 will have a greater impact to XBOX 360 sales than MGS4 to PS3.

*I am talking about the difference the week before the realese day...

2 reasons why Geow2 will not have a big impact on console sales:

1) Geow1 was released on the 360.  If it was released on the original xbox you could safely argue that there is a core group of gamers waiting for its HD 360 release to buy a console.   Much like the large numbers of consumers that are waiting for MGS4 to release on the PS3.  (Similar to the Halo 3 effect on the 360).

2) Geow2 does not bring anything new to the platform.  It will be a great game but it's still another shooter.  I doubt there are any xbox fans that skipped the release of Halo 3 but will buy the 360 for Geow 2.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Around the Network
eliasg said:

1) Geow1 was released on the 360.  If it was released on the original xbox you could safely argue that there is a core group of gamers waiting for its HD 360 release to buy a console.   Much like the large numbers of consumers that are waiting for MGS4 to release on the PS3.  (Similar to the Halo 3 effect on the 360).

2) Geow2 does not bring anything new to the platform.  It will be a great game but it's still another shooter.  I doubt there are any xbox fans that skipped the release of Halo 3 but will buy the 360 for Geow 2.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

dbot said:
eliasg said:

true

..the first release of a high profile title on a new console generally sells more software and hardware than the next one(s). I think this is the case with MGS games, FF games, GT games, and this applies especially to hardware.

GeoW2 will move very few HW units compared to MGS4. 

"You have the right to the remains of a silent attorney"

y do people think the ps3 needs a saviour? look at the chartz since release. Choose ps3, Ps2 and xbox

Which console is doing the best? COUGH here is a hint NOT 360! COUGH

the ps3 is dipping under the ps2 a bit now but thats because every1 will hold off on getting a ps3 until MGS 4!

Saviour? wasn't necessary

Gearbox said:
y do people think the ps3 needs a saviour? look at the chartz since release. Choose ps3, Ps2 and xbox

Which console is doing the best? COUGH here is a hint NOT 360! COUGH

the ps3 is dipping under the ps2 a bit now but thats because every1 will hold off on getting a ps3 until MGS 4!

Saviour? wasn't necessary

1. I never said it needed a savior. In fact I specifically said in my op that PS3 will be second.
2. Try aligning the launches of each territory for PS3 and PS2. PS3 is doing much, much worse when you factor that in.
3.  Bolded part is exactly why I made this thread to disprove. MGS4 will NOT create a sustained change in PS3's sales.

tombi123 said:
What? 5.5M isn't good enough for an exclusive to be deemed a system seller? Just wait and see what happens in a fortnights time.

The sales could be good, but the increase in hardware sales during that game's debut and the few subsequent weeks are what determine it as a system seller.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."