By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why do people keep claiming MGS4 is PS3's saviour?

Its only 2 weeks! I can wait

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Around the Network

PS3 has outsold the 360 consistently worldwide for over 30 straight weeks and counting. MGS 4 will further increase PS3 hardware weekly margins over the 360 hardware.

yup but the real question is will you be too busy playing the game

I'm getting GTA IV, FF7:CC & MGS4 on the same day...lol

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Why does the PS3 need a savior?

@Starcraft - The 360 is only ahead of the PS3 because of the year headstart.

A game like MGS4 does not have a broad enough appeal to really push consoles like Halo. Many people dislike the mechanics of Metal Gear (cut scenes , over the top story telling, complex controls) that appeal to the loyal followers. Personally, I hope there is some truth to the 90 minute cut scenes. I will watch every second.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

colonelstubbs said:
XGamer0611 said:
I agree with the original poster. Every exclusive that has been released for the PS3 is supposed to be the savior and none have cut the mustard.

(cough)Lair(cough)

The truth is titles are over hyped and then when they are released the game gets mediocre reviews. Word of mouth gets around an no one purchases the game after the 4th week.

Metal Gear is going to be good but if sales are like 2 and 3 it will not save anything. As a matter of fact if it sells like MGS2 I bet that it will be ported to the 360 to make up money lost.

Hype is what is killing this generation.

The PS3 doesnt need 'saving' thankyouverymuch

Am I reading it right? Because if I am, this is so wrong.... I would've agreed if it was like Lair is to Haze, but no...

Lair is to MGS4? Way to blow that out of proportions...

I was gonna time this but lucky for me someone did. Kudos to you!

Around the Network
dbot said:
Why does the PS3 need a savior?

@Starcraft - The 360 is only ahead of the PS3 because of the year headstart.

A game like MGS4 does not have a broad enough appeal to really push consoles like Halo. Many people dislike the mechanics of Metal Gear (cut scenes , over the top story telling, complex controls) that appeal to the loyal followers. Personally, I hope there is some truth to the 90 minute cut scenes. I will watch every second.

Dont antagonise starcraft! He'll just get himself banned again, and we dont want that...again

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

starcraft said:
bbsin said:
starcraft said:
Mafoo likes to ignore the enormous launch date discrepancies when he draws a comparison between the two consoles.

So we're looking at a 9 month difference between PS2 sales and PS3 sales, since VGcharts don't align the launches of all regions and will only count the date starting from whenever the consoles hit the general market.

OnTopic: One game alone can't really "save" a console. It takes many things to change the playing field, such as an increasing library with various appeal, a good price range and most importantly... marketing.

Nine months on a console thats been out 18 months is an enormous difference.........

It would actually be 9 months on a console that's been recording for each seperate region for 40 months. Counting the region sales rate based on the difference between Japanese and NA/EU launch times was the best way to see about how much of a time/sales difference per region the PS3 had over the PS2.

Gears of War 2 will have a greater impact to XBOX 360 sales than MGS4 to PS3.

*I am talking about the difference the week before the realese day...

eliasg said:
Gears of War 2 will have a greater impact to XBOX 360 sales than MGS4 to PS3.

impossible to find out since GeOW2 is out in the holidays where consoles always get boosted. Other than that, I disagree that GeOW would of had a bigger hardware impact than MGS4.

@eliasg

that doesn't make sense as GEOw hasn't outsold a single MGS

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey