By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why do people keep claiming MGS4 is PS3's saviour?

Now, don't get me wrong, EVENTUALLY, the PS3 will pass the 360 in WW sales. But some of you make it sound like the PS3's weekly total will permanently double once this game is released. I just don't get it. No historical evidence suggests this will happen.

First point, MGS has been on a steady decline in sales...

PosGameConsolePublisherHitsScoreSales
Metal Gear SolidKonami9,7617.825.59m
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of LibertyKonami10,5767.855.56m
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake EaterKonami13,6937.873.97m

The next MGS game is about 1m in sales. Now, seeing that PS3 does not have a tremendous lineup right now and that MGS4 does look like a superb game, I think it will turn around the trend. However, at best it will sell 6m over its lifetime, i.e. not in the first few weeks. Plus, I don't think MGS has ever been accused of being a system seller. GTA, FF, GT, sure. MGS no.

Speaking of GTA...(top PS versions)

Grand Theft Auto: San AndreasRockstar Games12,7537.8317.13m
Grand Theft Auto: Vice CityRockstar Games5,2237.8314.20m
Grand Theft Auto IIIRockstar Games5,6137.7911.60m
Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City StoriesRockstar Games4,5007.164.86m
Grand Theft Auto IV
Rockstar Games33,1757.743.71m

This is a series that has proven to sell consoles. GTA4, which is split on two consoles, has almost outsold the last MGS game already on just the PS3. It caused, notice past tense, about a 200k jump in sales for one week. ONE WEEK. That was even less of an effect than what Halo 3 did for the 360.

Furthermore just look at the trends for the first half of this year.

TREND GRAPH

Wii is continuously on an upward trend.
360 is essentially flat, if not a little bit moving down.
PS3 is definitely on a downward slope.

No, I am not talking about the specific slope of the last few weeks, but an overall average of the entire graph. The PS3 had a very nice change in sales patterns between 2007 and 2008. This will not happen in 2009. PS3's sales will remain about the same as this year. The large jump this year is solely due to a combination of changes in Sony's line. Better sku options, price reduction, and a good assortment of decent games.

That is not happening this year. The sku's are not changing and there will be no significant (>$50) price drop, if any. There have been a couple big titles released. But, that alone hasn't changed much.

The PS3 will continue to average <200k per week through October. About the same as the 360. Then it will have a holiday marginally better than last year. (<5% change).

Sorry, too many of you are making the same mistake you did with Motorstorm, UTIII, Heavenly Sword, GTA4, GT5P, DMC4, and every other game that has been mis-hyped as savior. MGS4 will be no different.

Around the Network

GT5P mistake??

please check EU numbers for when it launched....

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

darthdevidem01 said:
GT5P mistake??

please check EU numbers for when it launched....

What are you saying? GT5P did not cause PS3 to have a massive turn around WW or in just Others.

>But some of you make it sound like the PS3's weekly total will permanently double once this game is released.

Hmmm... who?

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

What? 5.5M isn't good enough for an exclusive to be deemed a system seller? Just wait and see what happens in a fortnights time.

Around the Network

what about the guy with the cat avatar?Rock on or something to that effect. It sounds like he expects MGS4 to make jesus come back, and hump the PS3 thusly tripling their value on Ebay!

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

In fact here is the graph for just others. Where did GT5P cause a dramatic change?

MGS4 will be great for the ps3 and why does the ps3 need saving! if anything the 360 is in trouble

Be honest with nobody and lie to your self MGS4 best game EVER on ps3 :?!!!!!!!

Look if your talking about Rock on or some obscure Leo-J quotes from months ago...thats all

no-one else said sales will double...NO-ONE

_____

@superchunk

right this is EU ONLY not the "total others graph"

http://www.vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=Europe&cons2=PS3&reg2=Europe&cons3=X360&reg3=Europe&start=39453&end=39600

see the spike before GTA 4....despite 360 price drop GT 5 prologue resulted in that spike...only a demo..

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Every major game has and will continue to be called the PS3's savior until the next one is up.

I guarantee KZ2, FF13, GT5 will all get the same treatment. Just ignore it and move on.