By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why do people keep claiming MGS4 is PS3's saviour?

I agree with the original poster. Every exclusive that has been released for the PS3 is supposed to be the savior and none have cut the mustard.

(cough)Lair(cough)

The truth is titles are over hyped and then when they are released the game gets mediocre reviews. Word of mouth gets around an no one purchases the game after the 4th week.

Metal Gear is going to be good but if sales are like 2 and 3 it will not save anything. As a matter of fact if it sells like MGS2 I bet that it will be ported to the 360 to make up money lost.

Hype is what is killing this generation.

Now Playing: Crysis 2

Last Finished: BulletStorm

Online IDs: PSN: computermaximus, XBL: computermaximus

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
Well if you can't see the spike before GTA Iv and now a constant of 90K + instead of 70K then I don't know which graph you are seeing

GT 5 prologue cause a HUGE spike & has a solid pro-longed effect....

And now it is about 80k, thus, going down. All reality is no single game has had lasting affect.

Plus, why are some of you focusing on one little territory?

Focus on the big picture people. WW trend for PS3 has been going down for the 1st half of the year. 

Sorry superchunk but I have to agree with darth...I have seen a lot of posts but I am sure that I didn't read somewhere PS3 sales will double (maybe for one week though).

Still it would be strange it this will not sell well in NA and Europe (including Others) and move some systems....In Japan PS3 will see a nice boosts for some weeks and that is it..

@superchunk

well think about why the others aren;t

360 --- had a HUGE price drop athat makes it cheaper than the wii

so the trend after the price drop in EU should be higher than earlier....and it is thats why it didn't go down

Wii is dependant on supply completely..

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

darthdevidem01 said:
@superchunk

before GT 5 prologue PS3 was averaging 70K after it 90K +....really are you acting blind?

It never actually hit 80k (came close when it was 81k) let alone below 70k so I don't know what definition of "average" you're using.  After the holidays it was around 85-90k until GT5P.  Now just a couple of weeks after GTAIV and it's back under 100k.  MGS4 should give it a boost again but there's a good chance it may settle back into 85-90k territory in July.

Around the Network

@Xgamer0610

so you are saying LAIR was immensely hyped like MGS4??

I mean you are comparing LAIR with MGS4 an established brand...PS3 has had no established brand exclusive out yet..

XGamer0611 said:
I agree with the original poster. Every exclusive that has been released for the PS3 is supposed to be the savior and none have cut the mustard.

(cough)Lair(cough)

The truth is titles are over hyped and then when they are released the game gets mediocre reviews. Word of mouth gets around an no one purchases the game after the 4th week.

Metal Gear is going to be good but if sales are like 2 and 3 it will not save anything. As a matter of fact if it sells like MGS2 I bet that it will be ported to the 360 to make up money lost.

Hype is what is killing this generation.

The PS3 doesnt need 'saving' thankyouverymuch

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

superchunk said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Well if you can't see the spike before GTA Iv and now a constant of 90K + instead of 70K then I don't know which graph you are seeing

GT 5 prologue cause a HUGE spike & has a solid pro-longed effect....

And now it is about 80k, thus, going down. All reality is no single game has had lasting affect.

Plus, why are some of you focusing on one little territory?

Focus on the big picture people. WW trend for PS3 has been going down for the 1st half of the year.

Why do people focus on it? Well, maybe because your thread title said "Why do people"..... And I don't get why you'd ask that question without answer the quesiton "Who those people are"

and gosh... sales are going down from since the holiday season? Are you telling me mid year is normally console dry-season??? Gosh, I would've never known. 

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
konnichiwa said:
Sorry superchunk but I have to agree with darth...I have seen a lot of posts but I am sure that I didn't read somewhere PS3 sales will double (maybe for one week though).

Still it would be strange it this will not sell well in NA and Europe (including Others) and move some systems....In Japan PS3 will see a nice boosts for some weeks and that is it..

ok, obviously double is an exageration. However, there have been plenty of posts that this game will seal the deal in a major way. Many even that it will cause PS3 to pass 360 this year, which is directly against all trend analysis of the PS3's sales thus far.

In Japan it won't do much. MGS has sold the least in Japan every time. 

@superchunk

once again DO NOT Read rock_On's posts////

only he has said that no-one else.