By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 40 GB PS3 to be Backwards Compatible in Oct. through Firmware???

i don't mind if thats true cuz i already have my pstwo

Around the Network

I skeptical about a firmware update giving PS3's full BC from what i undertstand it's very difficult , we still haven't mastered PS2 emulation on the PC.

If it is true this is fantastic news.

many time reader first time poster here:

I heard that the launch NA PS3 consoles actually came with the Emotion chip built into them while the Euro ones emulated it through software anyway.

source:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/sony/80gb-playstation-3-to-get-icky-software-emulation-for-ps2-games-276391.php

in that case i don't see why it should be so difficult to do it again on non bc consoles via an update...

of course the emu wasn't/isn't perfect with many titles not working properly, but it's a good start anyway

edit: i could have looked for a better source but it late and i'm tired lol 

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Spankey said:

I heard that the launch NA PS3 consoles actually came with the Emotion chip built into them while the Euro ones emulated it through software anyway.

It works like this:

20Gb NTSC/60Gb NTSC:  Full backwards capatibility from the Emotion Engine and GS chips.

80Gb NTSC/60Gb PAL:  Partial backwards compatibility from GS chip and software emulation of Emotion Engine.

40Gb NTSC/40Gb PAL:  No backwards compatibility (No EE/GS chips).   

NTSC = Japan/NA
PAL = Europe

@Words Of Wisdom

ok thanks that makes more sense to me now. tricky indeed...

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Around the Network

It seems that way sometimes.  By the way, welcome to the forums.

Make it region-free, pwease!

No foreign sky protected me,
No stranger's wing shielded my face.
I stand as witness to the common lot,
survivor of that time, that place.

- From 'Requiem' by Anna Akhmatova

Musouka said:
Make it region-free, pwease!

lol as brilliant as that would be, i can't see Sony doing that. The movie studios will be too pissed off if that were to happen.

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

As long as I can play PSone games (MGS1 here i come) i'll be happy

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

BC in the 40GB model probably isn't impossible if Sony is claiming to work on it (which it appears they have done regardless of whether this report is true).  I wonder if the solution will exploit the SPUs' embedded RAM somehow? (I am not an engineer!)

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom!