By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is with the boycotting?

It's a new trend! All the cool kids are doing it!

Weeeeee!!!!!

Around the Network
kasillas88 said:
Im boycotting this thread...

No you're not.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

The boycott is silly but I guess I see the point of it. It's just sort of a dick move by Ubisoft, they are literally just using the Wii's fanbase to fund games for PS360. Sort of like how rich people hate democrats since they just take the rich people's money and give it to those who couldn't make it themselves.... thats actually a pretty good analogy come to think of it.

It seems not all companies are after the easy money. Cause if you try to convince me that profitability and quality for third party Wii games are walking hand in hand, I'll think you are delusional.

Around the Network

Basically, Ubisoft is late on their promise of "Nintendo-quality games" since thier performance on the Wii went downhill after Red Steel and Rayman Raving Rabbids. At Ubidays, there were a lot of announcements for the HD consoles but in return the Wii got a lot of DS shovelware dumped onto it (it has nothing to do with just being casual, seeing as people enjoy RRR).

Ubisoft's treatment of the Wii pissed a lot of fans off and they began to complain and bash Ubisoft in the face of a tsunami of PETZ and BABIEZ games, with nothing promising or even worthwhile on the horizon. One of Ubisoft's forum managers responded to the complaints by basically bitchslapping Wii owners, makinga few ridiculous claims that generally boiled down to "core gamers don't own a Wii." A lot of game sites picked this up and reported it as if Ubisoft themselves felt this way, and the shit really hit the fan which is when the boycotting started up.

Ubi sent out viral marketers for damage control, who defended them while simultaneously advertising Tom Clancy's [insert game] on forums. Amongst the viral marketers were Sony fanboys, either looking to troll or deathly afraid of a world where Ubi's 1 or 2 good games would have to be shared with the Wii, which is where the numerous "me too!" boycott Nintendo fans threads came from. So far Ubisoft has tried to do a little bit of damage control by dismissing what the forum manager had to say but it hasn't really done much to calm the situation.

I think the only way they'll get people off their ass is at E3. They'll either be hated even more or simply be regarded with indifference as other publishers steal any thunder they made have had with new announcements.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

ClaudeLv250 said:
Basically, Ubisoft is late on their promise of "Nintendo-quality games" since thier performance on the Wii went downhill after Red Steel and Rayman Raving Rabbids. At Ubidays, there were a lot of announcements for the HD consoles but in return the Wii got a lot of DS shovelware dumped onto it (it has nothing to do with just being casual, seeing as people enjoy RRR).

Ubisoft's treatment of the Wii pissed a lot of fans off and they began to complain and bash Ubisoft in the face of a tsunami of PETZ and BABIEZ games, with nothing promising or even worthwhile on the horizon. One of Ubisoft's forum managers responded to the complaints by basically bitchslapping Wii owners, makinga few ridiculous claims that generally boiled down to "core gamers don't own a Wii." A lot of game sites picked this up and reported it as if Ubisoft themselves felt this way, and the shit really hit the fan which is when the boycotting started up.

Ubi sent out viral marketers for damage control, who defended them while simultaneously advertising To Clancy's [insert game] on forums. Amongst the viral marketers were Sony fanboys, either looking to troll or deathly afraid of a world where games would have to be shared with the Wii, which is where the numerous "me too!" boycott Nintendo fans threads came from. So far Ubisoft has tried to do a little bit of damage control by dismissing what the forum manager had to say but it hasn't really done much to calm the situation.

That's a pretty good summary. It wasn't that the Wii wasn't getting some games. It was the events described by claude. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Im actually supporting ubisofts decision on this....

CURRENTLY PLAYING:  Warframe, Witcher 2

i'm pretty sure its more due to the fact that they said "this is what wii owners want" when announcing:

rather than just ignoring the wii 'hardcore' userbase.. they insulted it by claiming to know what they wanted and that this was it..

quality like that displayed in the picture above is just unacceptable in the year 2008

goodness, it looks like a ds game!

If at first you don't succeed, you fail