By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is with the boycotting?

can someone explain why people want to boycott ubisoft (i have been away for a while)

Around the Network

Recently, after the unwrapping of titles like Prince of Persia (2008) and Beyond Good & Evil 2 at Ubidays 2008 for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, the company has been flamed by members in the Ubisoft official forums for not supporting the successful Wii console. [12] A growing belief is that the company is developing casual games such as Petz, on the Wii in order to fund expensive HD games. In fact Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot even admitted that "the company's casual games business was "extremely profitable" and helped to finance the initially costly development of games for next-generation consoles"[13] Many have started to figure that "next generation consoles" may not include the Wii. Guillemot's promise of "Nintendo-Like" quality games has not been realized and in fact, there is only one release for the console that is scheduled to come out in 2008.[14] Even Beyond Good & Evil 2, whose predecessor suffered from poor sales and sold more on Wii's predecessor the Gamecube, was chosen to be developed on HD consoles despite higher development costs and the uncertainty of the game's commercial reception. Countless believe that the company will continue to make "extremely profitable" casual games on the system and toned down spinoffs such as Shaun White Snowboarding[15] (with features like free roaming and online mode absent), while the other consoles will get full-fledged games, despite the Wii being the sales leader of its generation.

Well its simple a bunch of wii fanboys complaining about them missing out on yet another good game... buy a HD console for hardcore games not a wii I think its stupid i mean i have a wii and a 360 no complaints here the 360 and PS3 are just better consoles for games then the wii is

Proud Owner of  a Wii and Xbox 360 and a PS3(When I get the money)

konnichiwa said:
Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot even admitted

Is he old enough to have been a collaborator?

fkusumot said:
konnichiwa said:
Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot even admitted

Is he old enough to have been a collaborator?

I thought the Guillemot family started with their company when Yves Guillemot was just some years off school and that was like in 1985-1987. So I guess not;.

Around the Network
Everstar said:
Well its simple a bunch of wii fanboys complaining about them missing out on yet another good game... buy a HD console for hardcore games not a wii I think its stupid i mean i have a wii and a 360 no complaints here the 360 and PS3 are just better consoles for games then the wii is

You've been warned for this post. 

Didn't the Wii owners expect this? Honestly Ubisoft makes games for hardcore gamers. So don't complain. Instead buy a 360 or PS3.

why not just boycott every one except for nintendo??? ok joking :P but thats what it seems to be like. By popular opinion Ubisoft you are no longer allowed to make games hahahaha i agree that this boycotting stuff is just silly

If at first you don't succeed, you fail

Ugh..... personally I don't agree with the boycott (as far as it concerns any good games Ubisoft might release, cuz let's face it we'll "boycott" the bad ones anyway) but let me just say this for all the idiots saying "Well duh it'z a Wii, Get a 360/PS3 for hardcore games".

1. There are plenty of core games on the Wii and there are definitely core games on the Wii that sell well. I could make a list but if you're too stupid to realize it without me typing it up, odds are you wouldn't understand/care anyway.

2. People aren't angry at Ubisoft for making casual crap. There are dozens of companies who make casual crap and offend worse that don't get mentioned. I have yet to see a "Boycott Conspiracy!" thread even though they are the king of shovelware. People were upset at comments from reps of R*/Epic/Bioware but it was forgotten almost immediately. People are angry at Ubisoft for blatantly admitting what many already assumed certain anti-Wii developers do, which is exploit the massive userbase of the Wii by feeding it with quick cash-in titles in order to fund their more ambitious projects on HD consoles and at the same time ignoring the fact that there is a significant core userbase in the Wii market that would enjoy core games with Wii controls.

I think everybody understands that as a business decision Ubisoft can pump out garbage titles and make some quick $ and they don't have a problem with it. The problem people have is that they could simultaneously leech off of ignorant casuals who buy anything and yet provide quality entertainment to the core gamers on the Wii however they seem to be going in another direction. There's no reason for that. Wii development has been proven to be cheaper than HD development from multiple sources so the risk wouldn't even be that severe. They could easily continue to milk that cash cow and prey on the casuals for easy money and use it to fund both HD/Wii games.

That said, the Wii doesn't necessarily "deserve" anything, even as market leader, and Ubisoft isn't required to support it with quality titles. It is their right to be able to decide to only concentrate their effort on HD titles. Yet I can't help but think if their PR department had handled this weekend a bit better and even just thrown a bone at Wii owners telling them to "wait till E3" this wouldn't have escalated to the point where people started referring to them as "Ubishit" or made logos with their symbol flushing down a toilet.

Im boycotting this thread...

VGCHARTZ PRESENTS:

BI-WEEKLY LEAGUE
All VGCharterz welcome!!!
PSN: Al_Kickurass, Official Warhawk League Thread!!!-> http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=21937