By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How did 3rd party support come to the ds?

At first it was in fact lacking games... I remember people were at the beginning complaining about it but then games like Nintendogs and Brain Training came on and the userbase growed massively and slowly 3D party support came and more and more came and will come.

Around the Network

True, the DS support became strong much later.  And I do expect the Wii to get more support in the way of very good third party games.  But it will not be the same.  The DS has almost 70% of the market.  The Wii will be lucky to get 55% of the market.  Additionally, it is well known that the PSP has had a horrible attach rate.  The consoles all seem to have similiar attach rates.  As such, you can still make a decent amount of money with a PS3/Xbox360 only game.  Lastly, same publishers feel that when they deliver a premium product (FF, MGS) that it needs to have HD graphics or they'll lose their perceived quality.  So yes, the Wii 3rd party support will get better, but even if it outsells the PS2, it won't be the DS of the consoles.

It started in Japan, like so many other things.

cleveland124 said:
True, the DS support became strong much later.  And I do expect the Wii to get more support in the way of very good third party games.  But it will not be the same.  The DS has almost 70% of the market.  The Wii will be lucky to get 55% of the market.  Additionally, it is well known that the PSP has had a horrible attach rate.  The consoles all seem to have similiar attach rates.  As such, you can still make a decent amount of money with a PS3/Xbox360 only game.  Lastly, same publishers feel that when they deliver a premium product (FF, MGS) that it needs to have HD graphics or they'll lose their perceived quality.  So yes, the Wii 3rd party support will get better, but even if it outsells the PS2, it won't be the DS of the consoles.

Consoles always had more support than handhelds though. Alot of third parites are exclusive to home consoles, and that migh just push the wii to ds levels. Not to mention consoles usually get more main series while handhelds have spinoffs/remakes.

Yeah, when It came out, a lot started to say it would fail and die so all of their support went to the PSP,

Then they saw the DS was a real software seller and all of their support went to the DS. We have a lot of good AAA titles for the DS this year, most of them are third parties titles

I don't know why their isn't good support on the wii for good titles, I'm guessing it would take some time like it took the Ds.

Around the Network
sc94597 said:
cleveland124 said:

Consoles always had more support than handhelds though. Alot of third parites are exclusive to home consoles, and that migh just push the wii to ds levels. 

Hmmm that surprises me, I always thought they would prefer a handheld game because it is cheaper to make and gives the possibility of more income.

I think it started when in Japan the ds started selling a lot and that's when japanese companies like square enix started supporting it then every third party did the same.

konnichiwa said:
sc94597 said:
cleveland124 said:
True, the DS support became strong much later. And I do expect the Wii to get more support in the way of very good third party games. But it will not be the same. The DS has almost 70% of the market. The Wii will be lucky to get 55% of the market. Additionally, it is well known that the PSP has had a horrible attach rate. The consoles all seem to have similiar attach rates. As such, you can still make a decent amount of money with a PS3/Xbox360 only game. Lastly, same publishers feel that when they deliver a premium product (FF, MGS) that it needs to have HD graphics or they'll lose their perceived quality. So yes, the Wii 3rd party support will get better, but even if it outsells the PS2, it won't be the DS of the consoles.

Consoles always had more support than handhelds though. Alot of third parites are exclusive to home consoles, and that migh just push the wii to ds levels.

Hmmm that surprises me, I always thought they would prefer a handheld game because it is cheaper to make and gives the possibility of more income.

It's also matter of reputation. If they give more handheld support, they don't get as much attention. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

ctk495 said:
I think it started when in Japan the ds started selling a lot and that's when japanese companies like square enix started supporting it then every third party did the same.

yeah,that was the time they really started to support it

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Wow rol you answered my question and more. Thanks everybody else too. So do you think the same will happen for the wii Rol?