By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EGM boycott: no Metal Gear Solid 4 review

DMeisterJ said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
DMeisterJ said:
Well, EGM said they're still reviewing it, just after the restrictions are lifted.

So they're not boycotting in the sense of not reviewing, just waiting. Also, they just wanted to get some attention.

That is a boycott. That's how it works. Boycotts don't mean you stop doing something forever. It means you stop doing something until your demands are met (like going on strike, only the consumer instead of the worker).

A boycott or strike is different though.

You don't know how long it'll last, and you don't know what the end result will be, you may get a raise, you may get your benefits, or you may not.

What EGM is doing is waiting until next month to review it.

I don't understand how that's anywhere close to a boycott, rather than just keeping the integrity of their magazine together, and vying for unneccessary attention. (not that I don't respect them for that, keep journalistic integrity intact, just don't make a huge deal about it. They didn't have to mention anything, except say the review would be next month. Doing the whole roundtable thing, and the comment about Konami's muting of what could be talked about was only to exacerbate the problem, and to bring this into the spotlight for some publicity.)

From Mirriam-Webster online:

Boycott

: to engage in a concerted refusal to have dealings with (as a person, store, or organization) usually to express disapproval or to force acceptance of certain conditions

Okay, so it isn't a boycott, more like a protest. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:
DMeisterJ said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
DMeisterJ said:
Well, EGM said they're still reviewing it, just after the restrictions are lifted.

So they're not boycotting in the sense of not reviewing, just waiting. Also, they just wanted to get some attention.

That is a boycott. That's how it works. Boycotts don't mean you stop doing something forever. It means you stop doing something until your demands are met (like going on strike, only the consumer instead of the worker).

You don't know how long it'll last, and you don't know what the end result will be, you may get a raise, you may get your benefits, or you may not.

I don't understand how that's anywhere close to a boycott, rather than just keeping the integrity of their magazine together, and vying for unneccessary attention. (not that I don't respect them for that, keep journalistic integrity intact, just don't make a huge deal about it. They didn't have to mention anything, except say the review would be next month. Doing the whole roundtable thing, and the comment about Konami's muting of what could be talked about was only to exacerbate the problem, and to bring this into the spotlight for some publicity.)

Boycott

: to engage in a concerted refusal to have dealings with (as a person, store, or organization) usually to express disapproval or to force acceptance of certain conditions

Call it what you want, but the fact remains that they could have just reviewed it this month, and not said anything, but the remark they made make it sound like a boycott or a protest, when really all they're doing is holding back their review for a month.

If anything, this is moreso an exercise in journalistic freedom, or First Amendment rights, but it's been sensationalized by the media, and them themselves, as a boycott or protest.

well maybe konami thought they should restric them so those 2 things wont lower the score

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

DMeisterJ said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
DMeisterJ said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
DMeisterJ said:

Boycott

: to engage in a concerted refusal to have dealings with (as a person, store, or organization) usually to express disapproval or to force acceptance of certain conditions

Call it what you want, but the fact remains that they could have just reviewed it this month, and not said anything, but the remark they made make it sound like a boycott or a protest, when really all they're doing is holding back their review for a month.

If anything, this is moreso an exercise in journalistic freedom, or First Amendment rights, but it's been sensationalized by the media, and them themselves, as a boycott or protest.

I link to the dictionary, and you think I'm calling it what I want? Are you a follower of truthiness? I wasn't trying to call it what I wanted. I am trying to call it what the English language would define those actions as.

And no, that is not all EGM is doing. That implies they are holding back the review for no reason. They have a reason. They don't like the conditions they were given, so they are not giving the review before the game comes out.

That would at the very least, fit the defintion of an objection. It isn't a boycott, since they are still looking at the game, but you seem to insist there isn't a word for what they are doing, as though there is some signifigance to there being a word for what they are doing.

It's about defintions, not labeling actions.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Can we expect a MGS4 Reviewers Guide next?

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network

Reviewers should have the right to riview without restrictions.
EGM is right in not submitting itself to that censorship.

@EGM: Just rephrase the two points of discussion.

"EPIC cut-scenes" = Cutscenes in excess of 90 minutes
"EPIC tech advantage" = 4GB install

There you go. Just look at IGN UK and that high level bullshit about epicness and there you go.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Viper1 said:
Can we expect a MGS4 Reviewers Guide next?

ThAt's A good ideA.

I'm sure KonAmi would certAinly Agree to provide one.

Though we AlreAdy know the reviewers were given some guidAnce for their reviews.

So... whAt wAs the point of this Anyway?

Wait, has it been officially revealed that not mentioning the cut-scenes and mandatory install or what making EGM not review the game?

With the cut-scenes, I can see why Konami would be fidgety, but the mandatory install also being part of it is idiotic because photos from the back-cover of MGS4 clearly show it.

Bro they are not saying that they do it because of: the 90 minute long cutscenes and the 4GB install.

Could be something else like 'Raiden is again playable' ..