By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Almost 200k MGS4 pre-orders already in Japan (according to TheSource Prelim

konnichiwa said:
Aj_habfan said:
Doesn't the 200k pre-orders indicate the retailers stock? Is that added to a regular order or something?

I think the Source mean customers pre-orders he is talking about reserving games so...

Where does he state that? We never had costumer pre-order numbers in the past. Why should there be any change with MSG4? I thinks its definitely retail preorders.

Around the Network

Anyone knows how many gun metal PS3 bundles were produced for the occasion since there are already sold out in Japan ?

And how many for the US ?

MANUELF said:
Anyone remember the 700k+ pre-orders for SMG and how many are sold in the first week?

i think  it was more like 500k and those were store pre-orders

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

They were 700k+ I remember, and people based their predictions on it. I learnt not to go by retail preorder numbers anymore.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Sounds promising. 200K for its first week would make MGS4 easily the fastest selling PS3 game for Japan. Hopefully the release will push many hardware sales.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

There aren't enough LE bundles being made to make a significant difference in overall 1st day sales although the 80GB MGS4 bundles could, depending on how many Sony ships.

There aren't any exact figures on how many LE bundles were made, but they're being distributed via direct mail from Japan through Konami only, so that should tell you something right there. The only numbers I've heard suggested only in the tens of thousands.

Install base is going to cause a very rapid drop off. Figure most sales after the debut will be due to MGS4 80GB bundles.

Well, these are most likely retail pre-orders but still, it doesn´t indicate bad sales. If the game sells 250k copies during the first week (in case retailers sell out and order another shipment) that would be great.

Again, retailers are carefull with pre-orders for Playstation 3 games: Most sequels underperformed compared to their PS2 counterparts, that´s why retailers are carefull now. If the game sells 600k units lifetime that would be a great result. Honestly, this game will sell best in Europe and Europe is gonna be the deciding factor here. Most likely not Japan.

If the LE bundles sell out this = 300K in 1st week sales

we're just gonna have to wait & see

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Metal Gear Solid (PS): 350k first week, 780k LTD.
Metal Gear Solid 2 (PS2): 470k first week, 850k LTD.
Metal Gear Solid 3 (PS2): 494k first week, 860k LTD.

It looks like first week sales are a good indication of total sales for this franchise. LTD sales seem to be around twice the first week sales. 

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

@NJ5

thanks for those numbers,.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey