By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - It's not the Wii it's your TV

Since I bought a TV mostly for the Wii, I decided to get one which can display 480p content without the need for scaling. I ended up buying a 32' CRT for half the price of an equivalent LCD.

It displays a better Wii image than any other TV I've seen. It also supports 720p and 1080i through HDMI, so when I bought a 360 there were no regrets.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
zero129 said:
Wii owners please dont even buy a HD tv, its a wast of time..

DingDingDingDing - We have a winner!!!

Seriously, this is by far the dumbest post I have ever seen on VGChartz. You have earned yourself a place in my weekly column with this one. Congratz!

OT: I have a HDTV and the Wii looks very nice at the 480p settings. Definitely worth adjusting the settings. Widescreen can also be adjusted in the Wii menu.
I do suggest to use lower settings for some gamecube games. I tried to play Eternal Darkness on 480p and it looked horrible.

Most VC games can be set in-game to widescreen settings. Google the button-code for that (I think it is A+B+Z in the game-menu) 

BengaBenga said:
zero129 said:

DingDingDingDing - We have a winner!!!

Seriously, this is by far the dumbest post I have ever seen on VGChartz. You have earned yourself a place in my weekly column with this one. Congratz!

OT: I have a HDTV and the Wii looks very nice at the 480p settings. Definitely worth adjusting the settings. Widescreen can also be adjusted in the Wii menu.
I do suggest to use lower settings for some gamecube games. I tried to play Eternal Darkness on 480p and it looked horrible.

Most VC games can be set in-game to widescreen settings. Google the button-code for that (I think it is A+B+Z in the game-menu)

I think the shop even tells you if it can be played in 16:9 mode in more information, seems all newer titles can be as standard.

colonelstubbs said:
Not everyone can afford state of the art televisions....some of us can barely afford a console

Luckily, this thread is not about buying HDTVs, it's about how to maximize your picture quality if you already have one.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Smidlee said:
TheBigFatJ said:
dsch: Samsung actually includes good scalers with the TV set. If your friend had component and set things correctly, it could look fairly good.

Hawkeye:

(1) Set it in the Wii settings at the main channel. You don't need to set it per game, it's a system setting.

(2) Buy component cables here: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10830&cs_id=1083001&p_id=3566&seq=1&format=2

They're good, solid component cables and will give you great performance.

I have a 720p Sharp Aquos with component connection and can clearly see the image is a blowed up 420p image. Oh Yeah it sharp alright, all those big jagged edges.

Your TV probably has a poor scaler. Wii games should look reasonably smooth. My set is 50" and Wii games look good, although PS2 games look very jagged (of course, connected via component also). 360 games look fine as well.

The problem isn't poor scaler as a scaler mostly muddy up a blow up image (making the doubled pixels less noticeable) so it's not as obvious the image is blowed up. Scaler works the best for DVD movies which my HDTV seems to handle very well. 

I've heard about this issue too from few people. Apparently some TV:s have better scaler for interlaced content, than progressive (too weak processor). After all, 480p/60 requires (more than) double processing power compared to 480i/60 or 480p/24.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network
bdbdbd said:
Smidlee said:
TheBigFatJ said:
dsch: Samsung actually includes good scalers with the TV set. If your friend had component and set things correctly, it could look fairly good.

Hawkeye:

(1) Set it in the Wii settings at the main channel. You don't need to set it per game, it's a system setting.

(2) Buy component cables here: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10830&cs_id=1083001&p_id=3566&seq=1&format=2

I have a 720p Sharp Aquos with component connection and can clearly see the image is a blowed up 420p image. Oh Yeah it sharp alright, all those big jagged edges.

Your TV probably has a poor scaler. Wii games should look reasonably smooth. My set is 50" and Wii games look good, although PS2 games look very jagged (of course, connected via component also). 360 games look fine as well.

The problem isn't poor scaler as a scaler mostly muddy up a blow up image (making the doubled pixels less noticeable) so it's not as obvious the image is blowed up. Scaler works the best for DVD movies which my HDTV seems to handle very well. 

I've heard about this issue too from few people. Apparently some TV:s have better scaler for interlaced content, than progressive (too weak processor). After all, 480p/60 requires (more than) double processing power compared to 480i/60 or 480p/24.

Exactly.  The resolution isn't exactly double, so only every other pixel is doubled, which make it look like crap with a poor scaler.

When I first got my 42" tv I purchased some component cables and switched the wii to widescreen 480p but pretty quickly switched back to widescreen 576i because of the jaggies. I got sick of Galaxy at 480p real quick. At 576i the picture is rock solid - can't tell its interlaced as there's absolutely no flicker problems and all edges are clearly defined with no smudges. My Wii is PAL so maybe 576i isn't available for everyone but if you have the option try it and you may be pleasantly surprised. Of course it could be the tv doing some magic with the signal reducing any apparent visual problems 576i may otherwise introduce.

bdbdbd said:
Smidlee said:
TheBigFatJ said:

Hawkeye:

Even enhanced upscalers have their limits especially when it come fast moving images like sports. As someone mention GC ,Ps2 games look worst than Wii games just like PS game look worst than Ps2 games on HDTV. The reason is you are blowing up a poor resolution with PS being the worst.(even PS2 have a option to improve PS games by mudding up the pixels) Thus upscaled Wii games doesn't look as good as upscaled PS3 games (running in 480p).

^ I see. So you were (mistakenly) summarizing the OP to show that it was (you thought) bogus.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

zero129 said:

Really??? say that to my 1080p projektor with a 116" screen.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints