By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ubisoft responds to Wii-owners upset with quality of titles

sc94597 said:
jman8 said:
Viper1 said:
jman8 said:
If Wii owners have been buying Ubi's crap, then aren't Wii owners the problem??? Why is Ubisoft getting so much flak. It's a free country with a free market disposition. If Ubisoft isn't meeting the need of consumers, then they would die out from lack of sales. I can't believe people are demanding the Nintendo Seal of Quality. Sounds like communist talk to me. The consumer ought to decide what sucks not my Nintendo overlord.
Completely missing the point. It's the apathetic subsidizing of big budget titels on other consoles from profits garnered on Wii titles without recompensation to Wii gamers.

If Wii owners are buying Ubi's crap, what incentive is there for Ubi to create good games for the Wii? And how do you know the Wii owners who bought Imagine: Poniez and Imagine: Babyz didn't enjoy that product. I imagine there's a lot of elementary school girls who would love those games even if the mechanics were horrendous. Why are you placing your taste in games ahead of all others? Why should little girls be deprived of Ubi's Imagine games? The games are clearly not aimed or marketed to you. No one put a gun to your head and told you to buy them. Therefore, why exactly are you so upset and demand that Ubisoft stop making those games and start making stuff like Prince of Persia for the Wii?

Because wii owners aren't. http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=28235 I make a thread about it and yet it's still ignored.

Okay, so Wii owners don't buy Ubisoft's crappy casual games. Then why do I keep hearing this fallacy from people on this board that Ubisoft is using profits from those games to fund big HD projects? I know you never asserted that claim, I'm just pointing out that that claim is just false (wink wink, nudge nudge, Viper).

In addition, what games have been announced for the Wii by Ubisoft at Ubidays? Only 2 shitty casual games, right? So doesn't that go to show Ubisoft has learned not release so many bad games?

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

Around the Network
Viper1 said:
jman8 said:
Viper1 said:
jman8 said:
If Wii owners have been buying Ubi's crap, then aren't Wii owners the problem??? Why is Ubisoft getting so much flak. It's a free country with a free market disposition. If Ubisoft isn't meeting the need of consumers, then they would die out from lack of sales. I can't believe people are demanding the Nintendo Seal of Quality. Sounds like communist talk to me. The consumer ought to decide what sucks not my Nintendo overlord.
Completely missing the point. It's the apathetic subsidizing of big budget titels on other consoles from profits garnered on Wii titles without recompensation to Wii gamers.

If Wii owners are buying Ubi's crap, what incentive is there for Ubi to create good games for the Wii? And how do you know the Wii owners who bought Imagine: Poniez and Imagine: Babyz didn't enjoy that product. I imagine there's a lot of elementary school girls who would love those games even if the mechanics were horrendous. Why are you placing your taste in games ahead of all others? Why should little girls be deprived of Ubi's Imagine games? The games are clearly not aimed or marketed to you. No one put a gun to your head and told you to buy them. Therefore, why exactly are you so upset and demand that Ubisoft stop making those games and start making stuff like Prince of Persia for the Wii?

Completely missed my point two posts in a row. Did you see me suggest anything about low qaulity or my own personal tastes in games?

Try reading it again.

What post are you talking about? 

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

jman8 said:
sc94597 said:
jman8 said:
Viper1 said:
jman8 said:

Because wii owners aren't. http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=28235 I make a thread about it and yet it's still ignored.

Okay, so Wii owners don't buy Ubisoft's crappy casual games. Then why do I keep hearing this fallacy from people on this board that Ubisoft is using profits from those games to fund big HD projects? I know you never asserted that claim, I'm just pointing out that that claim is just false (wink wink, nudge nudge, Viper).

In addition, what games have been announced for the Wii by Ubisoft at Ubidays? Only 2 shitty casual games, right? So doesn't that go to show Ubisoft has learned not release so many bad games?

More than 2, casual games. They also announced 3 sequels to other shitty gams on the wii a gimped version of a a snowboarding game that all three consoles are getting, but the wii version looks like a ds game.

I was under the impression it was only Shaun White and Imagine: Babyz. Could you tell me the actual names of the other games announced?

My Top 5:

jman8 said:
I was under the impression it was only Shaun White and Imagine: Babyz. Could you tell me the actual names of the other games announced?

i think one was called babiez party

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network
jman8 said:

Click here:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9251049315/m/4081042366/p/1

Prediction:
Disney will make KH3 with Nintendo.Yes,KH3 will be a Disney/Nintendo crossover.

Save the industry,Kill a Hardcore gamer

Stopped buying Ubisoft games.Will not buy Red Steel 2.Let them struggle on HD. Click here for a solution:CLICK
ALERT: I have also exposed a UBI'Z'OFT viral marketer in THIS thread.Read my posts, see the set up and watch how everything crumbles on page 8. Please learn from this experience.

I just want to clarify why I'm feeling so dumbfounded. I just don't understand why I'm seeing this mentality on the internet that Ubisoft somehow owes it to the Wii to make quality games. When Red Steel sells a million, and the Rayman Raving Rabbids series sells 2.5 million and when the Petz series sells 500,000, what incentive does Ubisoft have to improve their quality on the Wii?

My Top 5:

jman8 said:
I just want to clarify why I'm feeling so dumbfounded. I just don't understand why I'm seeing this mentality on the internet that Ubisoft somehow owes it to the Wii to make quality games. When Red Steel sells a million, and the Rayman Raving Rabbids series sells 2.5 million and when the Petz series sells 500,000, what incentive does Ubisoft have to improve their quality on the Wii?
Um RRR IS a good game. RRR2 isn't a good game. red steel had flaws , but the idea was ok. NOw the pet series idividually sold poorly. Yet people bust on no more heroes for selling just as much and say it sells bad, but when it's a bad game that sells bad that means it sold good. 1 out of every 128 wii owners bought petz btw.

Out of the games I mentioned, which would you say are on par quality-wise with Ubisoft's PS360 offerings?

As for the Petz series: According to the release dates listed on this site, Petz Catz2 and Catz are actually the same game. The same goes for the Dogz games. And let's face it, there's a damn good chance the Catz games and Dogz games were developed simultaneously by the same team. They're like Pokemon Red and Blue except that the Pokemon games probably had more differentiating factors than Catz and Dogz. In other words, Catz and Dogz are essentially one game that sold nearly 500,000 copies, which is well ahead of No More Heroes.

My Top 5:

HappySqurriel said:
Squilliam said:
HappySqurriel said:

Months of ownership in 2008 in North America (assuming 1/2 month ownership for console sold in a month):

XBox 360: 54592271.5
Wii: 49812343
PS3: 21379984

Units of software sold in 2008 in North America

XBox 360: 25897420
Wii: 26478072, 23402230 (without Wii Sports), 21631296 (Without Wii Sports and Wii Play)
PS3: 12554967

Software sold per month ownership:

XBox 360: 0.47
Wii: 0.53 / 0.47 (without Wii Sports) / 0.43 (Without Wii Sports and Wii Play)
PS3: 0.59

Now if you take Grand Theft Auto 4 out of the picture the XBox 360 ratio falls to 0.40 and the PS3 falls to 0.50. Certainly, there is a advantage towards the XBox 360/PS3 but that could easily be argued as a lack of quality third party titles for the Wii.

Why would you take GTAIV out? You also haven't disproved anything.

Point: Xbox360+PS3 sell disproportionately more than their numbers suggest using the Wii as a base.

Point2: Xbox360+PS3 sell disproportionately more than their numbers suggest 3rd party games.

I think that a majority of the really hardcore Wii users are really just the hardcore Nintendo fans and that any third party is at a disadvantage because of this. They'll pick Nintendo first.

The elimination of GTA 4 was mainly because it is having a disproportionate impact on the ratio at this point in time; you can argue that people would have bought another game instead of GTA 4 but you can make the exact same argument about Wii Play and Wii Sports. No you couldn't, wii play is another controller for the most part and Wii sports is bundled. GTAIV is neither of these.

Point 1: jman8's comment was "the PS360 population has a greater percentage of hardcore gamers who buy a ton of games" which I would say I demonstrated was entirely false; when you're talking about the average Wii owner buying 5 games per year and the average PS3/XBox 360 owner buying 6 games per year that is a pretty poor demonstration of "hardcore gamers who buy a ton of games" 6 is larger than 5 and 200million games per year is larger than 125million, especially when you remove Wiiplay/Wiisports for their non gaming or bundled atributes.

Point 2: Yes, it is true that the PS3 and XBox 360 sell a lot more third party games but the combined development and marketing costs of the top 10% of XBox 360 and PS3 games are probably larger than the combined development and marketing costs of the entire third party Wii library.And the total revenue and profits for the top 10% of third party games for the HD consoles combined are higher than the Wii third parties all put together. Especially if you add downloadable content.

Some people seem to want to have it both ways, they want to bash the Wii because its library is "weaker" than the XBox 360 and PS3 mainly because publishers have produced a ton of crappy games for the Wii, they want to bash the Wii because third party games have sold "poorly" compared to Nintendo games (even though they have sold really well for their quality and marketing), and then they want to bash games (like Carnivale games) which are successful even though they're low quality and lack marketing. The library will remain weaker than the HD consoles because that market is larger. Developers follow the money and the money isn't as good on the Wii yet. Im not saying that the Wii won't have good games, im saying that the HD consoles will have the best third party games because that is where the money is.

Simply look at the quality difference of Ubisoft titles for the Wii and XBox 360 and give me 1 reason why the Wii should have sold a similar volume of Ubisoft titles to the XBox 360: Their catalogue doesn't apply to the Wii. Wii Tom Clancy doesn't work.

Tease.