By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Valve does it again! (Gabe Newell)

shio said:

Newell said that in the next three months, its digital revenue from Valve titles will surpass its retail revenue.

Did anyone notice this line?

That means The Orange Box PC-sales are still very crappy, because if you just double the NPD-sales it still doesn't amount to very much, just a few hundred thousand copies.

That is very un-impressive IMO, I thought Valve-games sales through Steam were many times higher than retail sales. At least we finally got an indicator for how big (small) the Steam-sales are...

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
shio said:

Newell said that in the next three months, its digital revenue from Valve titles will surpass its retail revenue.

That means The Orange Box PC-sales are still very crappy, because if you just double the NPD-sales it still doesn't amount to very much, just a few hundred thousand copies.

That is very un-impressive IMO, I thought Valve-games sales through Steam were many times higher than retail sales. At least we finally got an indicator for how big (small) the Steam-sales are...

No, it means they have almost already sold as much online as they did true retail from 1998 when half-life released, so these numbers are very big.

Slimebeast said:
shio said:

That means The Orange Box PC-sales are still very crappy, because if you just double the NPD-sales it still doesn't amount to very much, just a few hundred thousand copies.

That is very un-impressive IMO, I thought Valve-games sales through Steam were many times higher than retail sales. At least we finally got an indicator for how big (small) the Steam-sales are...

Yeah, you misread that.

That is all of their digital revenue is going to surpass all of their retail revenue.  That's all the Half Life, Half Life 2, CS, CS: Source, etc in retail.

So no, Steam games are actually pretty big.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

BenKenobi88 said:
Slimebeast said:
shio said:

Yeah, you misread that.

That is all of their digital revenue is going to surpass all of their retail revenue.  That's all the Half Life, Half Life 2, CS, CS: Source, etc in retail.

So no, Steam games are actually pretty big.

Yeah, that's actually a "Holy crap" sales figure.  That's insane.  Granted he's using revenue instead of units sold because Steam sees more revenue per unit sold that in retail by a very large amount, but that's besides the point.  Basically in the last 4 years Valve has made more money on Steam than they have in 10 years of retail sales.  

As for Steam Cloud, thank you Valve for continuing to provide the defining online gaming experience.  

I saw that earlier today and was like yea thats really cool actually.

Hi, this is Vince with Shamwow.

Around the Network

Whenever I build my next gaming desktop, Valve will reap the majority of the benefits. Steam has come a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way.

Dolla Dolla said:
Whenever I build my next gaming desktop, Valve will reap the majority of the benefits. Steam has come a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way.

Its valve what'd you expect lol? 

Of course it always takes forever and a day for them to get it "just right".  But when they finally release it? hawt damn is it good. 

To Each Man, Responsibility

The arrogant fool!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

lol and what did I say. PC gaming > console gaming. WooT!

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

darthdevidem01 said:
The arrogant fool!

Sarcasm?