By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I blame Wii Fit, Wii Fit opens 800k in the US Edition.

tehsage said:
I'm hoping they make use of the balance board in FPS's or RPG's or something. Maybe like, for ducking/dodging or something?

Like a game like this using the Wiiboard...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."
Around the Network

"all its done is opened a new room of gaming, the old room will remain and be well looked after but now theres a different room with housewives and... stuff..."

Well played good sir.

Or it'll bring about a new skateboarding game/snowboarding game using the board as your....board. Oh wait it has. And the only party game I've seen is RRR3 and that has you sitting on the board directing it with your ass, as well as a game where you have to pee standing up. Epic. Win.

My Games of 2011:

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Super Mario 3D Land

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Sneer if want, but I've been working with the board and that is an impressive precision piece of hardware. It can detect extremely small shifts in body position. It doesn't take a whole lot of imagination to think of many, many ways it could be used to enrich a game and add another level of immersion.

It WILL NOT appeal to the sit on the couch and wiggle your thumbs crowd, which is just as well because they would never be open minded enough to give it a try anyway.

dude17761991hatp said:
Or it'll bring about a new skateboarding game/snowboarding game using the board as your....board. Oh wait it has. And the only party game I've seen is RRR3 and that has you sitting on the board directing it with your ass, as well as a game where you have to pee standing up. Epic. Win.

i would really want a skateboarding/snowboarding game with the balance board

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network

Disappointing first week sales for Wii Fit. It's a shame that no one could have the faith that Wii Fit could of sold a million. Not Nintendo and not retailers.

Lots of potential with the balance board. It's up to the devs to optimize its use effectively though.

Just as we've seen some pretty terrible examples of motion controls with the Wii remote, there is quite a bit of potential to completely screw up controls with the balance board as well.

The snowboarding/skiing demo in Wii Fit is very promising though (still more partial to "ski jumping" for the fun factor even though it's extremely simple).

The only problem I could see with using to board to control movement (walking or running around in a game) is the potential for liability. Nintendo doesn't want people running in place on the peripheral because it wouldn't be long before someone fell off and injured them self.

Why would I think this? Wii Fit running doesn't use the board. You jog in place on the floor and the remote acts as a pedometer utilizing the accelerometer.

I've been doing the "run in place" exercise for a week and I could not see myself running in place on the BB for 20 minutes (it would probably break the board after many hours of use), much less for a multi hour gaming session.

It could work very well for combat by using torso and body leaning for dodges and heavy strikes. Paired with the remote and nunchuk, there is heavy potential for a primitive form of full body control use.

It's all going to be in the implementation though, good or bad.

FJ-Warez said:
tehsage said:
I'm hoping they make use of the balance board in FPS's or RPG's or something. Maybe like, for ducking/dodging or something?

Like a game like this using the Wiiboard...

Ok...you actually have me excited by this idea. If a developer makes a game that requires quick movements to run and dodge enemies, that would be cool. It would only work if all required movements worked better than analog sticks, though. Too bad it wouldn't look that good, though...

Astrodust said:
Disappointing first week sales for Wii Fit. It's a shame that no one could have the faith that Wii Fit could of sold a million. Not Nintendo and not retailers.

Wii Fit completely sold out everywhere in the US.  How is that a disappointment?

Nintendo would have shipped more if they could have.  It takes a lot more time to manufacture Wii Fit than your normal game.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)