By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - This year is a big year for the Wii - how do you think it'll end?

I think the wii already had so much succes that the end doesn't matter

MK7!! 3DS friend code: 0688 - 5579 - 0994

Also playing DotA2 beta!

Around the Network

This year will be another big year for the wii, if only because of the amount of casual gamers buying shovelware.

I'm going to say that it'll be a pretty dry year for the core market, and this is comparing to the situation over the last 2 years (a non-port AAA or close enough to title every few months). Maybe a 3rd party dev will step up, and while it'll happen eventually, as of right now it looks unlikely to happen soon.

Yes, there's mad world, but I'll say right now that it'll be another NMH (huge potential, core game itself won't be great, will still get hyped/praised by nintendo fanboys anyway and will burn in the sales department), my issue with madworld, which was the same with NMH, was that it looks to be style over substance. Sure make a gritty, noir, sin city-esque rip off style, but make sure the game itself is good to begin with.

The only other one would be the conduit, and to be honest, the only place i've read about it was here, so I don't know what to think about that one.

Wii to hit 35 million WW minimum....Nintendo move into the television industry.....they follow this up by firing a Wii to the Moon

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Some people are obviously too used to Sony's strategy of hyping games 1, 2 and 3 years in advance, which leads them to assume nothing unannounced can come out in a few months. Perhaps that's the case for the PS3 and to a lesser extent the 360, but it's certainly not the case for the Wii.

For a good part of last year, we knew nothing about Mario Kart Wii and almost nothing about Wii Fit, games which came out quite soon after Nintendo started to show them... They're not stupid enough not to have great games being prepared for pre-holiday launches this year, just wait and see.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

^Yup, I remember Nintendo driving many forums insane over their non-disclosure about the Wii's controller. People tend to have an assume the worst attitude in forums in seems. But the question is, if something's 3 years away? Why start hyping it already!?

My collection of guides on GameFAQs: Read them here

My latest guide on GameFAQs, for Little King's Story! Read it here 

Around the Network
*bleu-ocelot* said:
TWRoO said:
Ok then, your point is valid until E3.

What you used that point for though, was to make your first point.... If Nintendo are going to be whimpering because they don't have a game as huge as Wiifit/SSBB/MKWii for the rest of the year, what are Sony and MS going to be doing, slitting their wrists?

And you can't hide behind "I only mentioned the Wii" because that makes no sense, the Wii is comparable to the PS360 whether anyone likes it or not, those two consoles are what we have to base the Wiis success on, or perhaps the past PS2 sales, which it will also be beating this Christmas.

Actually i only did mention the Wii,so im not hiding behind anything.I was comparing the Wii's recent sucesses to what could happen later on this year.

What are you talking about?

So Nintendo are supposed to be sad that 3 huge games have been released that have helped push hardware (in two regions, America didn't need a push) If you were purely comparing Wii at Christmas to the Wii recently then I think it is pretty obvious they will be selling more then than now.

*bleu-ocelot* said:

So you think the wii magically sells almost 1mil units a month in NA without any push from these games!?Which is why i said the Wii would go out with a wimper,unless they announce some games that would match the successes of those games.

it's not magic, it's supply

wii could have sold 5 million in NA in February before the 'big 3' came out because demand far exceeds supply

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp

It will end with another monster holiday season. They will be releasing some amazing game that they haven't announced yet.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

hoping 3rd parties will release some AAA games

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

@OP

You asked what new gameplay elements that Nintendo has brought to the industry, what they will be from here on and if they are successful.

Let's try to actually answer those questions, or at least to look at them (this thread has not yet tried to discuss that at all).

The dominant new thing I've felt from nintendo is: It's not about WHAT technology you use, it's how you use it to increase the value to the customer. Nintendo has focused on using technology to improve the interface between the person and the console. I think that the industry on the whole has yet to learn this lesson. If companies want to be/remain profitable, I think they will have to.

That's the dominant new strategy. The peripherals, like Wii Fit, the Zapper, The Wheel, are all parts of that strategy. I sure hope we will see more of it, but I'm not really as smart or as creative as the people at nintendo, so I cannot fathom what insane ideas they will come up with next.

I know, it cannot really be classified as 'gameplay elements', but if you think that changing the gameplay elements is what nintendo was after, I think you are wrong. It's all about HOW we play, not WHAT we play.

Will it be successful? I think it already is.

This is invisible text!