By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - [Wii]It's said before and I will say it again

Shameless said:
The people that create games are artists in a way. They want to see their vision manifested on the best possible hardware.

I'd liken it to the music industry: manufactured pop-bands are churned out specifically for making money. The music has no soul and is made to a formula guaranteed to sell. Indie bands make the music they want to make, regardless of how many albums they'll sell because they want to realise their artistic vision.

I believe the true artistic creators of games value their vision over the amount of money it makes and that's why we repeatedly see the blockbuster 3rd party titles going to the consoles with the best technology.

Oh, so that would explain why developers get angry at publishers because they refuse to release core wii games?

Not all developers want to develop just for gfx a lotof them want to have a challenge to get the best  gfx out of the smallest resources ( i would like to do that too) else it gets boring.

Around the Network
densiyrex said:
Shameless said:
The people that create games are artists in a way. They want to see their vision manifested on the best possible hardware.

I'd liken it to the music industry: manufactured pop-bands are churned out specifically for making money. The music has no soul and is made to a formula guaranteed to sell. Indie bands make the music they want to make, regardless of how many albums they'll sell because they want to realise their artistic vision.

I believe the true artistic creators of games value their vision over the amount of money it makes and that's why we repeatedly see the blockbuster 3rd party titles going to the consoles with the best technology.

Oh, so that would explain why developers get angry at publishers because they refuse to release core wii games?

Not all developers want to develop just for gfx a lotof them want to have a challenge to get the best gfx out of the smallest resources ( i would like to do that too) else it gets boring.

Really? Anyone can talk but until I actually see evidence, I'm sticking to what I believe.

densiyrex said:

Seen by recent ubidays press conference it shows again that was is said before is in fact true.

Thirth party publishers do not care about the wii core market. They need the money from the casual to fund there big HD games.

To put it this way. The bigger publishers of games want HD to succeed because they will lose to much money all their million euro projects.

Ubisoft is showing the trend that I think will continue sadly for the Wii till people stop buying those party games.

Anyway I think next year party games will end and it will be all balanceboard party games or skate/surf/snowboard games

Did you see how many of those are announced recently so that will be the next thing the wii market gets flooded with.

But the bigger publishers will still make their main franchises for the HD market simply to make sure it kicks of and starts closing in to the Wii so they can get back the money they lost on all those projects.

For a pure financial point I can understand it.

As a gamer I hate it. 

Anyway we are getting dogz 2008 for Wii we should be happy for that it might even have fur shading ;) 

Oh and did ubi not say last year that they will use there wii games to fund there HD projects? 

Anyway thank you ubi for ruining some possible incredible wiimote controlled games and keep letting us use controller layouts from 1980. 

As much as I hate to I have to agree with you.  Things might have been different if PS3 sales were still as low as they were last year but with sales having improved developers are just going to stick with PS3/360/PC for their main games.  It's extremely stupid and short-sighted of them and means Nintendo will continue to reap in increased profits at their expense since its quality titles will remain totally unchallenged but unfortunately the world is filled with stupidity and stupid people. 

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

bobobologna said 

I read your post.  It sounds like you are complaining that instead of making "good" games for the Wii, they are just making shitty party games, and using profits from those to make PS3/XBox360 titles.  Well, if you want to play those PS3/XBox360 titles, how about buying one, instead of complaining that the Wii is only getting shitty ports.  I could care less if my PS3 game is being subsidized by some party game Ubisoft made on the Wii.  If suckers want to pay money for crappy games, then it's no skin off my back.

And if you bought a Wii expecting a sudden influx of high profile third party support, well, I don't know what to say.  Sure, it makes sense to make Wii games.  There's clearly a good market for them.  But I don't think complaining about shitty support on these forums makes all that much sense.  I could list a dozen titles that I wish I could play, but can't due to owning a PS3 (and an semi-aging PC).  But I'm not going to bitch about lack of third party support for the PS3 or any of the shitty titles released for it. 

Not sure any PS3 owner has the right to bitch about third party support because it is getting very good 3rd party support despite being in last place.  And I don't understand how people are incapable of understanding a simple premise.  Wii owners are not bitching and whining because they want every good game to be on Wii.  The complaint is because despite being clear market leader it is not being supported by developers despite the fact that in every generation the market leader has gotten the most 3rd party support.  Wii owners would expect that as Wii is runaway winner of this console war they can buy quality games from Nintendo and from 3rd parties and never have to worry about buying another console just as most PS2 owners did last gen.  Instead all we get is quality titles from Nintendo and crap from 3rd parties.  WHAT ON EARTH IS SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND ABOUT THAT???

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

And I'd like to add that it became obvious some months ago that:
- even if the Wii was HD, it would not have got anymore 3rd party support
- Nintendo will have to force 3rd parties hands to get their core games. That means destroying most of them.

This is sad really, even sadder is the fact that 3rd parties are actually the one that will bring their doom onto themselves.
People say Ubisoft got lots of profit this FY. That's an excuse anyway.
It's very clear to me: if last gen, when games were less expensive to make, GCN and XBox market was not enough to support ports or exclusive games, then there's no way XB360 and PS3 market will be enough this gen. Time will tell anyway.

Around the Network

"GCN and XBox market was not enough to support ports or exclusive games" - HUH?

Shameless said:
The people that create games are artists in a way.

They want to see their vision manifested on the best possible hardware.

Agree withjust the first sentence...

The second one, well, another mind brainwashed by the same people who deliver the weak machine of the last gen and still the one with more games and really great looking ones...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."