By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why the Wii still won't see so many multiplatforms games

theraweness said:
The exact reasons dev's wont make games for the wii. Because they games they'll make wont appeal to nintendo fans. Unless they start making games the emulate simple tasks or are cute and cuddly.
Wow, I thought maybe you started badly by seeing your last post. I guess I was wrong.

Around the Network

"Right now we've seen little support for home console from them, and when we do I will see a whole variety of franchises going to the wii as well as the ps3."

I hope so,sc94... I´m a PS3/Wii owner (as you can see in my sig), so I hope these systems get at least half the attention the DS and PSP are getting...I miss the days when Square was more focused on home consoles than handhelds.

Wii will only have PS2 ports..

Wii is only for japan..

Games on the wii will have innovative controls but shit graphics...

*shakes head*

I am really tired of listen to this honestly but I can't help it..

We won't see all the platform games in the wii, at least not for a while, for the simple reason that it has different values. Wii relies more in gameplay and less in graphics. Developers got used doing the opposite for 2 generations! They can't get back to basics that quick!

Remember that a game like"Prince of persia" takes around 3 years to be developed...remember that 3 years ago, the "revolution" wasn't taken seriously. Last year was a very abrupt awakening to developers and they can't deal it that quickly. What are they going to do? Cancel the development and start again to fit the 3 platforms?

Also, as I said before, Nintendo owners are used to quality games. That makes companies work harder and on these days, they prefer to make very good looking but very generic games in the consoles that can do that (PS360). Why would a Wii owner buy a rushed hyped game like Grand Theft auto when they can buy a well developed game like Twilight Princess? J

PS360 gamers are very different. They look at games like art movies and want their games bigger and louder. Just the kind of games they have been making for 2 generations in a row.

ust look at animated movies: they are the same expensive CGI family movies aimed to kids with the same generic stories but they keep doing them because they can have money more quickly instead of making an animated movie more serious and mature.

So people, BE PATIENT. It's less than 2 years since the wii appeared and, let's face it, this generation had a very slow start.

@OP: I love your posts, They are PS360 hardcore fanboy wii-bashing rants, written very polite and adult-like. That's one of a kind. Keep up the good work.

Hey again, Ail. Back at it, are we? ;)

Bobbuffalo said:

People are also getting tired of people saying 'GOOD 3d Party games will come soon'.

A year ago people were already saying.  'The devs will make Exclusvive good 3D party games for the Wii you will probably already see some at E3!'.

And now they are saying again 'They will come soon'.

Will it be a new trend that Wii owners will say every year 'Sales of the Wii are great and good 3Dparty support will come soon!?

Around the Network
konnichiwa said:
Bobbuffalo said:

People are also getting tired of people saying 'GOOD 3d Party games will come soon'.

A year ago people were already saying.  'The devs will make Exclusvive good 3D party games for the Wii you will probably already see some at E3!'.

Will it be a new trend that Wii owners will say every year 'Sales of the Wii are great and good 3Dparty support will come soon!?

Konnichiwa, Have you ever read Sean Malstrom's articles on disruption , and blue ocean. There is a link in my sig if you haven't. Well think of it like this. Nintendo starts out by targetting the non gamers, to get them started in gaming. Then after they captured the casual market, they slowly try to make this market play more and more hardcore games, by making the hardcore games friendly to the casuals in the form of bridge titles.This is called moving upmarket from the downmarket, and is the easiest way to disrupt a market. Now not all casuals will move up market, but a good deal of the younger casuals such as children who haven't played games much, or young adults in their 20s who have never played games. The grandparents, and parents are the movers. So the problem is half the third parties are confused and are waiting for a guinea pig to make success on the wii, and the other half think the answer is to make casual games forever. There are some such as sega who are seeing what nintendo is doing, but others just think spamming casual games will work. Once these mini games become saturated and don't sell well anymore, they are going to pay close attention to what nintendo is doing. They are going to find out the way of disruption and move upmarket, and then once these developers start to become succesful. The ones who are just waiting for something to happen will follow their steps. I don't see a big flush of third party support, rather than it will gradually get better and better until it's huge. This is what happend to the ds, and is what is happening to the wii. Well this is how I understand Malstrom's articles anyway.

konnichiwa said:
Bobbuffalo said:

A year ago people were already saying. 'The devs will make Exclusvive good 3D party games for the Wii you will probably already see some at E3!'.

No, you're totally right. I mean, third parties knew from the get-go that the Wii was going to be the top system this generation, and there totally wasn't any doubt about that, so I too am annoyed at the fanboys who keep saying to wait for the 3rd party games. Because lord knows there's not a whole lot to play on the system as it is, and sales totally reflect that. They're pathetic. Really! And it's not like it takes 18-24 months to make a Wii game, or that a ton of development resources are already sunk into the 3-year HD development cycle, so I am at a loss to explain why third parties haven't completely flooded the system yet. Yup, totally at a loss. And there's no good 3rd party Wii games out now, not a one.

Am I doing this whole "willful blindness" thing right? 

noname2200 said:
konnichiwa said:
Bobbuffalo said:

A year ago people were already saying. 'The devs will make Exclusvive good 3D party games for the Wii you will probably already see some at E3!'.

No, you're totally right. I mean, third parties knew from the get-go that the Wii was going to be the top system this generation, and there totally wasn't any doubt about that, so I too am annoyed at the fanboys who keep saying to wait for the 3rd party games. Because lord knows there's not a whole lot to play on the system as it is, and sales totally reflect that. They're pathetic. Really! And it's not like it takes 18-24 months to make a Wii game, or that a ton of development resources are already sunk into the 3-year HD development cycle, so I am at a loss to explain why third parties haven't completely flooded the system yet. Yup, totally at a loss. And there's no good 3rd party Wii games out now, not a one.

Am I doing this whole "willful blindness" thing right? 

Look at my post above yours or read Sean Malstrom;s blogs.

Ail said:
SleepWaking said:
Ail said:
superchunk said:
nah. I'm still betting on Wii getting primary development on most games soon with PS360 getting ports.

Especially once Wii's marketshare is >50% at the end of this year.

It won't be there by the end of year on the market that is accessible to the Western developers for sure...

Japan is nice and all but it's just not a market any western developer has been successfull at targetting...

How do you mean Japan is nice? Didn't you notice the wii is doing even better in the rest of the world?

Wii has a 69.2% marketshare in Japan.

It has a roughly 41% marketshare in the rest of the world.

41% is not better than 69%......

who cares about marketshare it's selling more in the west so it's doing better it's that simple.

sc94597 said:
konnichiwa said:
Bobbuffalo said:

Konnichiwa, Have you ever read Sean Malstrom's articles on disruption , and blue ocean. There is a link in my sig if you haven't. Well think of it like this. Nintendo starts out by targetting the non gamers, to get them started in gaming. Then after they captured the casual market, they slowly try to make this market play more and more hardcore games, by making the hardcore games friendly to the casuals in the form of bridge titles.This is called moving upmarket from the downmarket, and is the easiest way to disrupt a market. Now not all casuals will move up market, but a good deal of the younger casuals such as children who haven't played games much, or young adults in their 20s who have never played games. The grandparents, and parents are the movers. So the problem is half the third parties are confused and are waiting for a guinea pig to make success on the wii, and the other half think the answer is to make casual games forever. There are some such as sega who are seeing what nintendo is doing, but others just think spamming casual games will work. Once these mini games become saturated and don't sell well anymore, they are going to pay close attention to what nintendo is doing. They are going to find out the way of disruption and move upmarket, and then once these developers start to become succesful. The ones who are just waiting for something to happen will follow their steps. I don't see a big flush of third party support, rather than it will gradually get better and better until it's huge. This is what happend to the ds, and is what is happening to the wii. Well this is how I understand Malstrom's articles anyway.

And how long will it take? 1 year? 3 Years?

If we are talking about the Western devs I don't see them skipping to the Wii and make the majority of their good 3D party games to the Wii.

The Japanese devs probably will skip to the Wii I agree with that though.

And Yups the DS is a good example => Lots of new 3D party games coming but allmost all of them are from Japanese devs with some exceptions like Sonic RPG.