By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why the Wii still won't see so many multiplatforms games

Just been reading this thread and a few thoughts.

1. Almost no one thought the Wii would be the market leader. There were even those thinking that Nintendo ought to give up the ghost and just make software and handhelds.

2. Developers who think that the Wii is just about casual games develop at their own peril. There is a market for high-quality games on the system ... and whoever delivers them will make money.

3. There are markets for different kinds of software. Not everything that is casual is shovelware (unless it is released by UFO or Conspiracy). Related to this, games targeted toward college-aged males will tend to go on systems that sell to college-aged males.

4. Companies do make wrong placement decisions. I can understand for technical reasons (i.e., Street Fighter IV is probably an arcade port so the HD consoles are a better placement). But not all game choices can be explained by this (i.e., Beyond Good & Evil 2's stills look great ... but is that the type of game that PS3 and Xbox 360 owners will warm up to -- or would Ubisoft had been better served by making a less graphically-enhanced game for the Wii instead).

5. Developers who are interested in creating games that look nice first-and-foremost will gravitate toward the HD consoles. Developers who are interested in gameplay will look at the various options available to them. (This could mean the HD consoles, this could mean the Wii, this could mean the DS, this could mean the PSP, this could mean any and all combinations thereof -- do not read this as me saying only the Wii has gameplay because I do not mean that).

6. Some games sell well because they are well positioned and well advertised despite low critical acceptance (i.e., Carnival Games -- which is still $40 USD). Some games with stellar reviews could sell better if there was more marketing (i.e., Zach & Wiki -- which has seen its price halved to $20 USD).

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network
Ajax said:
I just saw a Wii Fit commercial, am at the moment in Norway, and the commercial was with for hot chicks playing Wii Fit... I knew it, this is real girls stuff, Nintendo knows it too

Try it once and see how you feel in the morning. It's trying to appeal to women also. There is yoga on their but also strength conditioning and aerobics. I guess being in shape is "girl's stuff" for, you know, "chicks". The balance games also show how the balance board can be used in many creative ways. First it was kids stuff now it's girl's stuff. This outsells GTA IV and someone pissed in my Wheaties. The Wii Remote was a gimmick and the four horseman of the apocalypse are riding in on the clouds. Hear the trumpets blare as we speak.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

amp316 said:
Ajax said:
I just saw a Wii Fit commercial, am at the moment in Norway, and the commercial was with for hot chicks playing Wii Fit... I knew it, this is real girls stuff, Nintendo knows it too

Try it once and see how you feel in the morning. It's trying to appeal to women also. There is yoga on their but also strength conditioning and aerobics. I guess being in shape is "girl's stuff" for, you know, "chicks". The balance games also show how the balance board can be used in many creative ways. First it was kids stuff now it's girl's stuff. This outsells GTA IV and someone pissed in my Wheaties. The Wii Remote was a gimmick and the four horseman of the apocalypse are riding in on the clouds. Hear the trumpets blare as we speak.

I think it's the other way around, that they might try to appeal to guys also, not to women 'also' . And being in shape is not girls stuff of course, thinking you can get in shape or trying it with a thing like this in the living room is.. and I don't care about GTA IV nor about Wii Fits sales, and a lot of moms and girls have Wii's these days, so high sales doesn't mean all sorts of Wii owners are equally divided in the WFit sales. But hey, don't get me wrong, I do believe you can do fun things with the board, and I will sure give it a try if I come across it somewhere..

''Hadouken!''

Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties. LOL. The new RRR game I guess there are going to be interesting new butt controls.

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

dude I don't even know what Wheaties and RRR are lol

''Hadouken!''

Around the Network

Wheaties is a cereal. RRR is Rayman Raving Rabbids. LMAO

amp316 said:
Wheaties is a cereal. RRR is Rayman Raving Rabbids. LMAO

Whoa, careful there...don't laugh your ass off...you're going to need it for RRR!

To Each Man, Responsibility

so someone pissed in your cereal? lol

''Hadouken!''

Yes that's why I was moody.

I understand now

''Hadouken!''