By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Have any Jrpgs been a commercial success this gen?

I was trying to think of a jrpg that hit it big this gen but I can't think of any that aren't on a portable. The wii doesn't have any, Opoona didn't do so hot. The 360 doesn't have any that have sold over a million I don't think. LO did what? 600k? I think that's the best selling JRPG this gen, Fire Emblem 10 is at 500k making it I think the second best selling. The PS3 doesn't have any JRPGs that have sold any significant amount either.

JRPGs just don't seem to be big movers world wide at least anymore. I'm curious as to how Tales Of Symphonia 2 with do, and FF13 is still a long long way off. Are Jrpgs on consoles just not very popular anymore?

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Around the Network

Thats because theres no BIG BIG JRPG's out

except for Sakaguchi's failed attempts...
____

FF13 will be the HIGHEST selling console JRPG this gen

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Your taking JRPGs on an American Console. This is the problem right now with the current JRPGs. Any JRPGs released on the Wii and PS3 will easily see over a million sales.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

It's sad but it seems as if people are reluctant to buy anything not labeled Final Fantasy and to a lesser extent, Square-Enix.

I'm hoping for decent results from Infinite Undiscovery (given the developer record, it should be very good) but other than that, I don't see anything taking off until FF XIII.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

PS3 actually has NO JRPG yet..

I mean ZERO!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

I actually see hope for well-developed RPGs on the Wii. If VGChartz is correct, Fire Emblem sold 160K on the Gamecube yet it sold 500K on the Wii. Tales of Symphonia may sell over 2 million units.

Lost Odyssey has done pretty good. It should get around 800k by the fall and be close to a million after Christmas.

Other than, I can't really think of any. Folklore is near 175k?

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Poke on DS is huge
FF4 on DS is already profitable (only out in Japan)
DQ4 on DS is 1 million plus

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

@ totalwar

Well FE9 sold 160k in Japan only. The 500k number is the worldwide sales for FE10. (it sold 170k in Japan)

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Yeah, I know they are doing great on handhelds, but on consoles not so much.

I think some one above hit it on the head, they just don't care unless it's brand name like Final Fantasy. XIII could be a huge disapointment like 12 and still sell ten times as much as any other jrpg.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.