By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Casual gamers have it right. Have we lost our path?(long read/rant)

ssj12 said:
selnor said:
I completely 100% agree with the OP. I have played alot of games over the past 5 years that have scored less then 80% and found them extremely playable and better than alot of 90+ games that the so called industry plays up.

The comments in this thread by the blinded people of the hardcore gaming world says it all. I class myself as a hardcore gamer I play about 15 hours a week, and I have a family. Yet instantly I see the MASSIVE error of the hardcore gaming world.

Those that think they are hardcore and continue to follow these stupid metacritic sites and review BS are just sheep following a shepherd. Can you not see that?

Read my post..... everyone is missing the boat on what a real hardcore gamer is and a self proclaimed one.

That doesn't change the fact that self proclaimed hardly-core gamers are proclaiming over and over again how "x" is better than "y" and anyone who says differently is misinformed, a n00b, or worst yet, a fanboy. You and I have seen this over and over again, and just because you say, "They aren't 'hardcore'", doesn't mean that you've swept the problem under the carpet.  The problem persists, and this thread is (imo) a nice way to take a look at it.

So erm... a very well written post Zen. I agree with you 100%. We need more fun factor.

Around the Network
PooperScooper said:
BrayanA said:

Came on PooperScooper, (ew you came on poop....)

Pinata - I'm hardcore gamer - 30 years old male. Viva Pinata? No way I'm playing this, but my daughter loves it. Guest who is buying Viva Pinata 2. (Sucker...) Sucker? HAHAHA! Yes, some of us have family and children. Some day, some how you will have too. Guess who will buy Viva Pinata 4, hahaha.

"Halo - Whats that? starcraft FPS"
Starcraft? You know nothing about Halo! I don't like this game too, but this doesn't mean that Halo is not a good game and I can understand way this game has so many fans. Halo is just easy to play. You don't care to much about amo, health and dark levels. One very important thing - good gameplay.(Your opinion not mine. I have played 1 and 2 on the original xbox. There was nothing good about it and it most definitely is a starcraft rip off in m opinion. this is the worst game on the xbox in my opinion with max payne being the best) Max Payne was great. Halo was great too. Like it or not. There is no way two stupid games can sell 14 000 000 copies only on their hype. If this is true, then Lair would sell at least 2 000 000. Halo is based on 1970 novel Ringworld by Larry Niven, not starcraft.

Crackdown - never play it. (thank the lord you havent. Think of.... Gears of War and Halo.... Marines on steroids.... Imagine that....) I never played GTA and I don't like it. Is this mean that GTA is crap?
Gears of War - damn good game. This was the best for 2006. Overrated? Hahaha ... loser! (So I'm a loser because me and a bunch other think this game was overrated.... I think someone here is a loser but I dont think its me for thinking a game is overrated. ALSO THIS IS THE EXACT MENTALITY THE OP IS AGAINST!!!! Imagine that.... Anyways what was so great about this game? The cover system and thats it. The story and multiplayer SUCKED ASS Not AAA in the least) 10x god I'm a loser and lose my time with this game. This game win "Game of the Year" in 2006. Damn this losers. How dare to give GOTY to Gears. O ... and it sold more then 5 000 000 copies. More losers?! And it was N1 for 1 year on LIVE and still is in top 5. Stupid losers. You are pathetic! Don't like it, don't play it!

Hell Raising - hahaha. Same as Halo. You know nothing about Dead Rising. This game is not AAA. It's just fun to play it. (.... That's right I know nothing about what I like... You know me OH SO MUCH BETTER DONT YOU This game is dull after 30 minutes) O yes! I believe you! I don't believe my own eyes. I prefer to believe you! Hahaha. I'm not even sure you ever play it.
Shadow Run - never play it. (Yet again thank the lord. Worst than Crackdown ... it really is...)
Bioshock - damn good game. For gamers that like this kind of games, Bioshock is one of the best. (Yet again your opinion...) Of course it is mine opinion! I'm not going to ask you do I like ot not a game.
Mass Effect - damn good game. AAA title. Must have for all WRPG fans. (Yeah I hated Fable so what does that tell ya?) Damn! Again this losers. How they dare to give Mass Effect "Best RPG" in 2007. Fable is one of the best RPGs on XBOX ( and not only ). Guess who is buying Fable 2? So ... you hate Fable? Hate? Fable eat your breakfast? Or beat you up in the school? This is your problem! You hate! Why? Cos maybe you can't play them. Hahahaha.

R&C - look at Viva Pinata. (Nothing like Viva Pinata....) For me it is like Viva Pinata. No way I'm going to play it, but kids and teens like it. Is this making R&C a bad game? Nope it's a great game for somebody that like this kind of games.
Uncharted - brr ... everything in this game looks like plastic. Gears of War ot Uncharted? Gears of War all the way! (Uncharted all the way!) Then F***** play it and leave others to play Gears
Resistance - AAA title? Really? Dude Resistance is on the same level as Condemned 2 and nobody is pointing Condemned as AAA title. (Crackdown, Dead Rising, and Shadowrun aren't triple A either, but that doesn't mean I didn't have oodles of noodles of more fun with this multiplayer than I did with anything 360 had at the time (AKA gears of war) Same as above
Heavenly sword - not bad, not good, too short. This is the only game in this list that I actually played to the end. I mean PS3 game. (This game is fantastic.) I'm glad for you. HS is a good game. I like it too. It is still one level under DMC or NG, but this doesn't make it a bad game.

There are good games on both consoles. For someone Halo 3 or Resistance are very good, for others they are crap. Play games you want and leave others to play what they like! (but yet your trying to force 360 games down my throat...) ... and you don't trying to force PS3 games down to mine? Like it or not Uncharted and Resistance are not better then Gears and Bioshock. Yes, Uncharted and Resistance are good games, but so are Gears and Bioshock. Leave your fanboy glasses and be a gamer. Don't hate games and don't bash them because they are not on your platform or you don't like them!

Army of Two got 6.5 from Gamespot. I tried it with friend on splitscreen and it was a lot of fun. This game is 8.5 for me.

Pooper, you should really give up on the "Halo is a Starcraft ripoff" thing... You're making yourself look silly. Halo started development around 1995, was originally an RTS, and was planned for a 1999/2000 release. Gameplay was being shown around in 1999, just a few months after SC released in 1998. It's pretty hard to rip something off when development started before Blizzard even announced SC and gameplay footage was being shown shortly after SC released.

Shit, it wasn't even Bungie's first sci-fi series... That goes to Marathon, a trilogy that started in the early 90s.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Smeags said:
ssj12 said:
selnor said:
I completely 100% agree with the OP. I have played alot of games over the past 5 years that have scored less then 80% and found them extremely playable and better than alot of 90+ games that the so called industry plays up.

The comments in this thread by the blinded people of the hardcore gaming world says it all. I class myself as a hardcore gamer I play about 15 hours a week, and I have a family. Yet instantly I see the MASSIVE error of the hardcore gaming world.

Those that think they are hardcore and continue to follow these stupid metacritic sites and review BS are just sheep following a shepherd. Can you not see that?

Read my post..... everyone is missing the boat on what a real hardcore gamer is and a self proclaimed one.

That doesn't change the fact that self proclaimed hardly-core gamers are proclaiming over and over again how "x" is better than "y" and anyone who says differently is misinformed, a n00b, or worst yet, a fanboy. You and I have seen this over and over again, and just because you say, "They aren't 'hardcore'", doesn't mean that you've swept the problem under the carpet.  The problem persists, and this thread is (imo) a nice way to take a look at it.

So erm... a very well written post Zen. I agree with you 100%. We need more fun factor.

My post basically changes the entire argument from the difference between casuals and hardcore to casual versus fake hardcore. Casual gamers typically dont play every game and make statements about games. Casuals might say GTA4 sucks because it is to hard for them. While that isnt true, the opposite arguments come from the fake hardcore with their "that game sucks because its so easy and bland."

Basically they are two sides of one coin versus the real hardcore which is the bank the casual coins are stored.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

I cannot really speak for anyone else, so I will speak for me. YES. I agree. I go way too much on what other people think about games when I buy them.

There's also another side to this. When we BOUGHT the game, and PLAYED it, we (me again, but I think this is a general point) want confirmation that our choice was the right one.

I remember playing through portal and loving every single second of it. Afterwards I went out and read as many reviews of it as I possibly could, just so that I could confirm that my belief that portal was the best game I played this year was socially acceptable. That and I loved replaying the game in my head.

Call me shallow and weak, but if enough people state that a game is bad, or average, I start to believe them. If people I trust say a game is awesome, I tend to think so too.

Case in point here for me is MGS2. It was hyped, had great scores, and I played it with a friend. It was really too drawn out for my taste, and all the videos and codec convos made me.... want to PLAY! I kept playing and told myself over and over again how good this game was. I almost believed it. Haven't touched it since and just the thought of sitting through all those hours of story makes my stomach turn.

... now just because I'm probably going to get flamed for that, I'm only saying that I didn't enjoy the game, and I tried telling myself I did just because it got good reviews, not that it didn't deserve the reviews.

So yeah, this is a problem for me, but it's not at all a problem limited to gaming. I act similarly to this in other situations too.

Reviews are good, because they give you a sense of what to expect from a game. Sites like Gamerankings or Metacritic are more used for affirming your beliefs, and telling you what beliefs are socially acceptable than actually give you guidance on what to buy.

This is invisible text!

Around the Network

i play both hardcore and casual games, but i play more hardcore games, this has absolutley nothing to do with the reviews, its simply my personal taste, which i imagine is the case for most people, infact i reccently bought Haze, in spite of the bad reviews, i bought it, as i thought it looked good fun and had a clever new IP. And i like haze, i think its a good game and i enjoy playing it.

100% agree. I don't read reviews on games. I buy games that look like they will be good, or fun to me. There's a lot of games that I really like that I know hasn't gotten a good score, or has sold a lot, but I still buy it because it looks good to me and that's all that matters.

My blog: TsalagiDragon on Wordpress

My online store: Tsalagi Dreams 

My Twitter: @Scary4Eva

I do think I tend to rely on review scores too much to decide which games I play. But I don't really know of another good way to separate the good games from the bad games. I don't have a lot of money to spend right now, so I want to make sure I am spending it on a worthy game. Sometimes I'll pick up a game off of the clearance rack on a whim, but that is a rare occurance.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)