By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Casual gamers have it right. Have we lost our path?(long read/rant)

weren't you one of the guys who was championing for GTA IV to lose the 1st spot vs OoT on that shitty site you're bashing.

i wish that shitty site was banned from vgc, no joke

Around the Network

Hahaha, the "Pachter not Patcher" vassal is me. And hey Zen, it's vassal, not vassle!

Here's my take on the situation. Anytime anybody refers to themselves as "hardcore," I stop reading and skip the rest of their bullshit. Their opinion is crap. They are elitist scum. The second they say "Well I consider myself a hardcore gamer..." I know everything they're going to say. It's like there's only one hardcore gamer on the planet, and they got cloned several times, so they all have the same boring bullshit elitist opinion.

By your definition, I'm casual. I pick up a game when it sounds like fun. What's great is that I'm also one of the most elitist assholes around when it comes to games or any art form. I'll argue that Elebits was a better game and more artistic than Halo 3 any day of the week. In fact, I'd say that Halo 3 is casual as hell and Elebits is for real "hardcore gamers" who have actually played games for more than 2 generations and are dying for new forms of gameplay rather than new aliens and "grafix."

Oh yeah, the other thing that will make me skip an entire post is usage of the spelling "grafix."

But yeah, I've never referred to myself as hardcore, let alone "a gamer." If I was forced to label myself, I guess I'm just some naked dude on the internet who really likes art and games.

wartaal said:
millions of people eat at mcdonalds each day, does this makes it great food?

Just because alot of ppl like bad games doesnt make them good.
these ppl play 2 hours a week, maybe they think carnaval games are fun because they dont know any better.

however if you force me to play that rubbish like as much as lets say devil may cry 4, after a week i will probably be mentally broken.

We have an elitist in the house. So tell me, who decides whether a game is good or bad? All that crap about Carnival Games. I bet no one played it but everyone knows it sucks...strange. Well I did play it and it's fine. What guys like you (wartaal) don't understand is taht there are other ways to enjoy a game than alone in your room.
I had a great night with like 8 people and this game. It's € 40,-, which is nothing if you compare it to other forms of entertainment for 8 people. We were at my place, so the beer was cheap. AND EVERYONE HAD A F*ING BRILLIANT TIME.
It's totally ignorant to only consider single-player games to be worthy of the title "game". VideoGames can also be something that replaces things like Monopoly and Risk. At least that's the way the industry can become mainstream.

I agree with you Zen, especially that Fire Emblem is the best game of this gen so far!

BengaBenga said:
wartaal said:
millions of people eat at mcdonalds each day, does this makes it great food?

Just because alot of ppl like bad games doesnt make them good.
these ppl play 2 hours a week, maybe they think carnaval games are fun because they dont know any better.

however if you force me to play that rubbish like as much as lets say devil may cry 4, after a week i will probably be mentally broken.

We have an elitist in the house. So tell me, who decides whether a game is good or bad? All that crap about Carnival Games. I bet no one played it but everyone knows it sucks...strange. Well I did play it and it's fine. What guys like you (wartaal) don't understand is taht there are other ways to enjoy a game than alone in your room.
I had a great night with like 8 people and this game. It's € 40,-, which is nothing if you compare it to other forms of entertainment for 8 people. We were at my place, so the beer was cheap. AND EVERYONE HAD A F*ING BRILLIANT TIME.
It's totally ignorant to only consider single-player games to be worthy of the title "game". VideoGames can also be something that replaces things like Monopoly and Risk. At least that's the way the industry can become mainstream.

I agree with you Zen, especially that Fire Emblem is the best game of this gen so far!

How dare you to judge a game by "fun".

Really I don't understand the reviews in common, maybe it is just me, but MK Wii gave me way more hours of gameplay and endles fun than galaxy.  And I do something some here will kill me for: Even Mario and Sonic makes more fun than galaxy. And thats what I want from a game: FUN, FUN, FUN. 

I want to sit down, and be away from my real life (and real life problems) for 30-2hours. I want to relax! 

That is what I  want from a game, isn't hard is? I don't mind if I play GTA, MK, Final Fantasy. I just want fun. Yes good graphics and controls can help in that department, but is just not all ;)

PooperScooper said:
To quote me from another thread.

Me - fact of the matter you guys say "360 is da best" and i say r&c, uncharted, warhawk, resistance, heavenly sword are better than halo, mass effect, crackdown, gears of war, viva pinata, shadow run, hell raising, and bioshock

Gebx - Bolded part is the problem... it's not us 360 fanboys on these forums.. its the F**King INDUSTRY!! The critics and reviewers!

Games that have a 75% or higher average on metacritic.com

360 - 152

PS3 - 69

Me - HAHAHAHA you think I give a fuck what some dude I've never spoken to before thinks about games?

The only thing that matters is my opinion. not an "industry" so dont throw that desprate bullshit at me. and In my opinon the games I listed rank higher than the 360 games.

Viva Pinata - Incredibly annoying.
Halo - Whats that? starcraft FPS? NO WAI!
Crackdown - I found myself climbing ferris wheels and staying in the off road arena rather than completing the game.
Gears of War - Overrated. Weak story. 4 on 4 multiplayer. Small maps. Not only was it a weak story but it did not explain a god damn thing. Being left out in the dark is fine... unless it's something really big being left out.
Shadow Run - HAHAHAHAHAHAHA < enough said
Hell Raising - Fun for 30 minutes. Had the same problem as crack down. I found myself doing ridiculous things with zombies than finishing the game.
Bioshock - just wasn't for me
Mass Effect - Doesn't interest me < I'll admit this is a game on my list that I havent played yet.

I think the only game I finished on my list was Gears of War... Now tell me that those games are triple A's for me.

I'm not starcraft. I'm not YOU! I don't get brainwashed from a company because they are force feeding me garbage and telling me I SHOULD like it. I'm not gonna allow something I don't like forced down my throat and then with a smile on my face ask for seconds just because it's expensive gourmet cooking that all the people who are somebody's has to like (I'll keep my hot dogs over caviar any day). NO THANK YOU I HAVE A BRAIN! "Hey cool Microsoft crippled me and I cant walk anymore! What's this Microsoft? Crutches? No way! I needed these ever since you broke my legs! Thank you so much!!!!! I love you guys"

So basically I agree with you.

Came on PooperScooper,
it is all about taste.
Viva Pinata - I'm hardcore gamer - 30 years old male. Viva Pinata? No way I'm playing this, but my daughter loves it. Guest who is buying Viva Pinata 2.

"Halo - Whats that? starcraft FPS"
Starcraft? You know nothing about Halo! I don't like this game too, but this doesn't mean that Halo is not a good game and I can understand way this game has so many fans. Halo is just easy to play. You don't care to much about amo, health and dark levels. One very important thing - good gameplay.
Crackdown - never play it.
Gears of War - damn good game. This was the best for 2006. Overrated? Hahaha ... loser!
Hell Raising - hahaha. Same as Halo. You know nothing about Dead Rising. This game is not AAA. It's just fun to play it.
Shadow Run - never play it.
Bioshock - damn good game. For gamers that like this kind of games, Bioshock is one of the best.
Mass Effect - damn good game. AAA title. Must have for all WRPG fans.

R&C - look at Viva Pinata.
Uncharted - brr ... everything in this game looks like plastic. Gears of War ot Uncharted? Gears of War all the way!
Resistance - AAA title? Really? Dude Resistance is on the same level as Condemned 2 and nobody is pointing Condemned as AAA title.
Heavenly sword - not bad, not good, too short. This is the only game in this list that I actually played to the end. I mean PS3 game.

There are good games on both consoles. For someone Halo 3 or Resistance are very good, for others they are crap. Play games you want and leave others to play what they like!

Army of Two got 6.5 from Gamespot. I tried it with friend on splitscreen and it was a lot of fun. This game is 8.5 for me.

Around the Network
Ari_Gold said:
weren't you one of the guys who was championing for GTA IV to lose the 1st spot vs OoT on that shitty site you're bashing.

i wish that shitty site was banned from vgc, no joke

No. I wasn't championing anything. I did say that if Gamerankings lowered OOT's score generically to give GTAIV the edge, it wouldn't mean anything anymore.

I also wrote my own review of GTAIV, a 9.5/10.

Also, I'm not as much bashing Gamerankings as I am bashing the people who quote from it like the bible, and use it as evidence to marginalize good games.

Not all great games get great review averages, that's a fact.

I think gamerankings is a valuable tool in some instances, such as conditions for entry to my personal and nearly impossible AAA status requirements. However, though I use the game as a tool for theory, I would never depend upon it for practical use to purchase games. Instead, I find it a useful research tool to quickly and easily find links to my more trusted review and video sources for my pre-game research. Afterall, I'm not suggesting that we buy games off of boxart. This isn't 30 years ago. I'm merely suggesting that certain "core" gamers, and in fact most "core" gamers on the internet should know better than to write off a game like Ninja Gaiden 2(quick and easy example, as that game inspired this post) simply because it averages in the mid or low 80's, as unplayable.

Use your brain for these things. Did you like Ninja Gaiden 1? Was the camera or difficulty too frusterating for you to have completed that game? Do you like the trailers? Are you an action genre fan? What did a trusted reviewer tell me?

None of those questions should be "Do I like mid 80ish ranked games?" Besides it being vague, it's also lazy in a very real way. I have no problem with people being lazy on their own dime, but when you try to justify your non-purchase by marginalizing the game using your lazy criteria, that just makes you one of the people that no-one really wants around, and another example of why hardcore gamers and interent posters in general, tend to suck as human beings, when they are posting anonymously online anyway.

Casual gamers have fun discussing gaming, and are the better for it. When we get down to real talk, all it ever breeds is hate, lies, perversion, and disgust. I really hate being surrounded with "hardcore" gamers. Because the few bad apples spoil the whole bunch.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

I don't even look at reviews or judge a game because someone said it's worth it.

I sometimes look at gameplay videos and judge the game before I buy it.

But when I'm at a game store and I look at the box art and the gameplay the publisher is describing of it on the back of the box art is on point that I like it.

Well, I will titled it as it looks fun, must be fun and I love it.

I liked Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire for the PS3, I mean it was short but I certainly enjoyed the game. It got bashed alot across the gaming community but I liked the box art and the Gundam series.

Certainly there are games that score high and I think I should own them. But I don't get those games. Oblivion scored around 90% on gamerankings.com

I think that game is complete bull to me. I almost fell into hype with that game.

The Ghost of RubangB said:
Hahaha, the "Pachter not Patcher" vassal is me. And hey Zen, it's vassal, not vassle!

Here's my take on the situation. Anytime anybody refers to themselves as "hardcore," I stop reading and skip the rest of their bullshit. Their opinion is crap. They are elitist scum. The second they say "Well I consider myself a hardcore gamer..." I know everything they're going to say. It's like there's only one hardcore gamer on the planet, and they got cloned several times, so they all have the same boring bullshit elitist opinion.

By your definition, I'm casual. I pick up a game when it sounds like fun. What's great is that I'm also one of the most elitist assholes around when it comes to games or any art form. I'll argue that Elebits was a better game and more artistic than Halo 3 any day of the week. In fact, I'd say that Halo 3 is casual as hell and Elebits is for real "hardcore gamers" who have actually played games for more than 2 generations and are dying for new forms of gameplay rather than new aliens and "grafix."

Oh yeah, the other thing that will make me skip an entire post is usage of the spelling "grafix."

But yeah, I've never referred to myself as hardcore, let alone "a gamer." If I was forced to label myself, I guess I'm just some naked dude on the internet who really likes art and games.

lol, interesting post there. I completely agree with the "hardcore/casual" idea being BS.

I, for one, believe that grouping gamers in market fragments is painting in broad strokes.

That still leaves the problem of referring to market fragments in papers, articles, and such. I'll use the term "core" and "casual" often because it's generally accepted by the mass audience that would be reading said article, and it clearly gives the reader an idea of the segment I'm talking about.

Plus, I doubt the "core" gamers would take the article as seriously if I directly referred to them as the elitist a-hole "gamers" everytime they got brought up.

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

the scores they get are not important, it is the criticism that is given, if you like the look of the game and the + factors while you really do not care about the - factors (which can be really exagerated for some small errors) then you will likely buy the game. yet if someone says it only got 4/10 on 5 sites the person wil likely not buy it anymore. We really do not need the numbers, we only want to know what the good and bad things are and we can decide the rest. (can't you?)

ZenfoldorVGI said:
When a casual gamer picks up Carnival Games from the local Wal-Mart and plays it, he thinks it's fun and worth the purchase. When someone asks him, "Hey, why do you like that game?" He says, "Oh, it's fun."

When you ask a hardcore gamer about their game, or to be more specific, the "real" hardcore gamers, they will tell you, "Oh, this game got a 98/100 on gamerankings. It's the best game of all time."

I contend that core gamers put far too much faith in these numbers and it, as much as anything, is killing the very spirit of the gaming industry and its core fanbase.

...but more than that, core gamers feel the NEED to justify the games they play, or the systems they are playing them on. It's that mentality that has made us who we are, for better or worse. Justification. Ownage. Getting up on the next guy by being as good as we can possibly be.

Case in point, Ninja Gaiden 2

Since the game is rated 0.3 points lower than the epic "AAA" status on IGN, the game is no longer worth playing, and now can be forgotten about, crossed off our list, and we can move on to the next game, which hopefully will be a "must purchase."

0.3 points. That is life and death to a hardcore gamer. 3 out of 100.

The inspiration for this thread, in fact, was when I heard another poster proclaim, "Well, it got an 87, so maybe at least some of the hardcore fans can get something out of it."

THAT should give you pause. THAT just breaks my heart. To think we've been so wrangled in by such a single-minded belief system is beyond my ability to comprehend or accept.

Sure we could argue it away by saying, "There are so many games to purchase, that I can only buy the AAAs." That, unfortunately for us all, is simply not true. Unless of course, you want your entire hardcore library for your Xbox 360 to consist of 10 or so games. The count is considerably less for the other systems.

What's even worse is that the games, the good games, with marginal flaws, the original games, are the ones who feel our new found scepticism the harshest.

My favorite games this gen:

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney = 81 metacritic average

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn = 78 metacritic average

Some of my largest dissapointments:

Gears of War = 94 metacritic average

Halo 3 = 94 metacritic average

Do we, as a group of core gamers, really go by these scores and only these scores when we decide which games to purchase, and which games to scoff at? Is this the bar?

Tell me, friends, who has it right? The hardcore gamer who disregards their own judgment of a game for the average judgement of a larger group? Or the casual gamer, who picks a game s/he thinks s/he'll like from factors like trailers, genre, boxart, title, maybe a review or two, brand, or developer?

I know I'm not the only one who sees where we went wrong, somewhere along the way, with our modern-crypic black and white judgment of games, slammed shut by a gavel of elitism?

Is this the envisioned endgame when we were first booting up our NES's with our fresh copies of Zelda? Would it have really been as fun if we couldn't keep the fact out of our heads that Zelda scores a 89 on metacritic instead of a 90?

Is this the true ugliness of our obsessive-compulsive "hardcore" natures? Is this why the XBL community isn't civil? Is this why gamers are looked down upon by society and destined to never go mainstream in our purist form? When we can't even help ourselves, who else can help us?

If a kid came up to you on the street and said, "Hey, I've been playing Dark Sector, it's AWESOME!" Wouldn't the first thing that went through your mind be, "That game sucked, what a n00b," even though we've never even played it. So, are we better than casual gamers? Do we really deserve to have this industry focused on us? I can't answer that anymore. Can you?

I think you missed the boat somewhere. It isn't that core gamers wont play the games, as we will play everything including all the indie PC titles, its just that we only pick up titles that look good and seems to have something that would be enjoyable for more then 20 minutes. True hardcore gamers actually at least tries the games brfore giving an opinion.

Gamers who goes by scores are just idiots. 

On your XBL community point, most players on Live are still immature. On PC you will hear people cursing and everything, but 90% of the time its someone getting annoyed they are having a bad day and dying to much. There is normally no serious attacks on eachother.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453