By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Casual gamers have it right. Have we lost our path?(long read/rant)

I completely 100% agree with the OP. I have played alot of games over the past 5 years that have scored less then 80% and found them extremely playable and better than alot of 90+ games that the so called industry plays up.

The comments in this thread by the blinded people of the hardcore gaming world says it all. I class myself as a hardcore gamer I play about 15 hours a week, and I have a family. Yet instantly I see the MASSIVE error of the hardcore gaming world.

Those that think they are hardcore and continue to follow these stupid metacritic sites and review BS are just sheep following a shepherd. Can you not see that?

Around the Network

The perception that you have is just totally wrong. You try to influence other with your idea that hardcore gamer is judging by score is totally wrong too. According to your standard, nobody will buy PSP game before God of War come out, then the industry will be doomed. According to your standard, how can a game above 9.0 should be called as epic "AAA" status, then what should it be called when it is above 9.5, "AAAA", the score is just a determination index and system, it is just a reference. You know what is the funniest part, you try to set up a score that high for determine a hardcore gamer and claiming that you are one of them but try to bashing them for for 0.3 score, this is so ridiculous. Was Wii being called a "kiddy" console because it got less above 90 games? Hell no, it is because it got more party game & child-friendly like game. Most of the gamer consider Madworld as a hardcore game for Wii, is it because it already been confirmed as a above 90 title? Hell no again. Why at NES time didn't have hardcore & casual like game? Because ESRB wasn't there. The earliest statement of hardcore & casual gamer appeared, was because the establishment of ESRB and the word "Mature" appeared. Do you think that there is really a buying pattern for buying only above 90 games and called as hardcore gamer? Hell no. They will only be Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony fanboy like buying pattern, they will buy the their game whatever it is 70, 80 or 90(at least it isn't bad at all first). Before the actual formed of internet, do you think people go online for checking review score and decide what to buy? No, there were only word of mouth & advertisement. The guy that you called as hardcore gamer type should be just a guy who decided to buy NG2 when it is above 90. Will it really turn most of the gamer away?Hell no again. It will just become least purchasable, no everyone is that rich to buy every game, will the gamer buy it again when the word of mouth is good? The answer is definitely.
According to your standard, Hardcore gamer will destroy the industry because it only buy above 90 game, other game just won't sell at all. Think about it again, before the online stuff, review don't really influence the buying behavior, and before the ESRB we don't really have Hardcore Gamer.
To leave aside your definition of hardcore and casual gamer, the question don't even exist.

If you really want to consider what is hardcore gamer without the "Mature" theory, I would say craze about videogames and willing to buy some of the game at the 1st day.

Poor PS3 Sales Means Smaller Losses

"Actually, because the number of units sold was not as high as we hoped, the loss was better than our original expectation," Quotes from Sony’s CFO Nobuyuki Oneda.

The way I see it. People who game a lot are more likely to pick up low scoring games in a genre they like, wheras the more casual people will only look for what is near the top of the charts when they enter a store or what seems to be selling a lot and perhaps has some funky box art.

Yes

Nice post zen =) I agree with you. I prefer a fun game with a low rating (wii sports) than a hyped boring game with a big score (Gears of war..sorry but that game was damn boringh.)

Honestly, "hardcore" gamers make more damage to the indutsry than "casuals". If it was for them we'll play 200 copies of Halo or GTA every year.

Check the context of what he was saying and it's reasonable >.>

But to each their own, everyone has their own method of enjoying something, just because their the loudest group of gamers doesn't mean you have to listen to what they have to say.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

Around the Network

It's foolish to believe that hardcore gamers put so much stock in the reviews of a game.
If you're a hardcore fan of a serie you will buy it whatever critics say.

The people you are describing are not the hardcorwe they are those that follow fashions...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

selnor said:
I completely 100% agree with the OP. I have played alot of games over the past 5 years that have scored less then 80% and found them extremely playable and better than alot of 90+ games that the so called industry plays up.

The comments in this thread by the blinded people of the hardcore gaming world says it all. I class myself as a hardcore gamer I play about 15 hours a week, and I have a family. Yet instantly I see the MASSIVE error of the hardcore gaming world.

Those that think they are hardcore and continue to follow these stupid metacritic sites and review BS are just sheep following a shepherd. Can you not see that?

Read my post..... everyone is missing the boat on what a real hardcore gamer is and a self proclaimed one. 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

BrayanA said:

Came on PooperScooper, (ew you came on poop....)

Pinata - I'm hardcore gamer - 30 years old male. Viva Pinata? No way I'm playing this, but my daughter loves it. Guest who is buying Viva Pinata 2. (Sucker...)

"Halo - Whats that? starcraft FPS"
Starcraft? You know nothing about Halo! I don't like this game too, but this doesn't mean that Halo is not a good game and I can understand way this game has so many fans. Halo is just easy to play. You don't care to much about amo, health and dark levels. One very important thing - good gameplay.(Your opinion not mine. I have played 1 and 2 on the original xbox. There was nothing good about it and it most definitely is a starcraft rip off in m opinion. this is the worst game on the xbox in my opinion with max payne being the best)

Crackdown - never play it. (thank the lord you havent. Think of.... Gears of War and Halo.... Marines on steroids.... Imagine that....)
Gears of War - damn good game. This was the best for 2006. Overrated? Hahaha ... loser! (So I'm a loser because me and a bunch other think this game was overrated.... I think someone here is a loser but I dont think its me for thinking a game is overrated. ALSO THIS IS THE EXACT MENTALITY THE OP IS AGAINST!!!! Imagine that.... Anyways what was so great about this game? The cover system and thats it. The story and multiplayer SUCKED ASS Not AAA in the least)
Hell Raising - hahaha. Same as Halo. You know nothing about Dead Rising. This game is not AAA. It's just fun to play it. (.... That's right I know nothing about what I like... You know me OH SO MUCH BETTER DONT YOU This game is dull after 30 minutes)
Shadow Run - never play it. (Yet again thank the lord. Worst than Crackdown ... it really is...)
Bioshock - damn good game. For gamers that like this kind of games, Bioshock is one of the best. (Yet again your opinion...)
Mass Effect - damn good game. AAA title. Must have for all WRPG fans. (Yeah I hated Fable so what does that tell ya?)

R&C - look at Viva Pinata. (Nothing like Viva Pinata....)
Uncharted - brr ... everything in this game looks like plastic. Gears of War ot Uncharted? Gears of War all the way! (Uncharted all the way!)
Resistance - AAA title? Really? Dude Resistance is on the same level as Condemned 2 and nobody is pointing Condemned as AAA title. (Crackdown, Dead Rising, and Shadowrun aren't triple A either, but that doesn't mean I didn't have oodles of noodles of more fun with this multiplayer than I did with anything 360 had at the time (AKA gears of war)
Heavenly sword - not bad, not good, too short. This is the only game in this list that I actually played to the end. I mean PS3 game. (This game is fantastic.)

There are good games on both consoles. For someone Halo 3 or Resistance are very good, for others they are crap. Play games you want and leave others to play what they like! (but yet your trying to force 360 games down my throat...)

Army of Two got 6.5 from Gamespot. I tried it with friend on splitscreen and it was a lot of fun. This game is 8.5 for me.

i am proud to be casually hardcore

Lost Odyssey only got a 79% on Gamrankings but that didn't stop me from getting it. The game may not be innovative and all but the game is still worth playing. Well, if you can tolerate turn based combat and random battles anyway.