By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What game has the best graphics,to date?

TheRealMafoo said:
Chrizum said:

You can of course say Game X is technically more advanced than Game Y, or that game Y has an art direction you prefer more, but the best looking games are both technically proficient and have a good art direction.

You just ruled out every Wii game right there. Yes, games like Okami and SMG have great art direction. But if the best looking games need both, the Wii is incapable of competing.

I think you fail to recognize what technically proficient means.

Super Mario Galaxy is technically more proficient than most other games, it runs at 60 fps all the time, it looks super sharp, there are no visual glitches whatsoever, it uses many of the latest visual tricks like bloom lightning and advanced shaders... I could go on, but you get the idea. There is nothing that restricts Super Mario Galaxy in what it tries to achieve. It makes perfect use of the hardware and it doesn't look bad or ugly at a single moment. The game is simply gorgeous.

Around the Network
Chrizum said:
rocketpig said:
Chrizum said:
Imperial said:
Chrizum said:
BioShock, Super Mario Galaxy, Assassin's Creed, Lost Winds

Graphics , not art direction , Wii games shoudln't even be mentioned on this thread.(IMO)

GT5 and Uncharted are amongst the best i've seen.

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Uh, that's not really opinion. SMG may look great but when compared graphically to Assassin's Creed, it fails on every level.

I was hoping I'd not have to start this discussion here, but if you're asking:

Art direction is an integral part of graphics. You cannot say "well, these graphics are absolutey stunning, but the art direction is terrible". This works in both ways, as technically atrocious games can't possibly have a good art direction. Those two are intertwined, and just cannot be separated.

You can of course say Game X is technically more advanced than Game Y, or that game Y has an art direction you prefer more, but the best looking games are both technically proficient and have a good art direction.

Therefore, I'd say Super Mario Galaxy looks WAY better than Iron Man on the PS3, even though Iron Man is technically more advanced. So yes, Super Mario Galaxy is one of the best looking games this generation, even if the game appeared on the Xbox 360.

I was speaking on prurely tecnicial levels. Wii  games looks vastly inferior to the best PC and 360/PS3 games. Art style has nothing to do with it. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Oh please, CGI kids movie tie-ins on the 360/ps3 look better than SMG.

I haven't played Uncharted so I'll say.....Gears?

Soriku said:
Valkyria Chronicles or Eternal Sonata.

Art style > Realism

Unrealism (is that even a word?)> Realism.

Also, Wii Fit has the best graphics! n00bs!

So, the original post should be modified to something like this: "What PS360 game has the best graphics to date? Not including PC and Wii because hardware differences."

Around the Network

@disolitude

Play through the whole game, it'll be worth it. And be a man and play on "Crushing" mode.

disolitude said:
I just played the Uncharted demo on my new ps3...I fail to see why everyone is praising its visuals.

Maybe things get a little better looking later on in the game...but the demo jungle looks way too busy for anything to stand out visually. Also, gunfights don't have any flair(trees and leaves with bulletholes would be nice), granade explosions look flat, character models look simple...I just don't get it. Its got cool water effects and lots of green...and thats it.

I think Resistance looks better and more focused on details. Not to mention destrictable walls and environments which I did not see in uncharted.

PS. I am playing in 1080i on a 58 inch screen...

Hmmm, gosh, maybe thats because its a friggin DEMO!

Unfinished, put out for promotional purposes, a DEMOnstration of the game.

Please dont post if you wont post intelligently

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

rocketpig said:
Chrizum said:
rocketpig said:
Chrizum said:
Imperial said:
Chrizum said:
BioShock, Super Mario Galaxy, Assassin's Creed, Lost Winds

Graphics , not art direction , Wii games shoudln't even be mentioned on this thread.(IMO)

GT5 and Uncharted are amongst the best i've seen.

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Uh, that's not really opinion. SMG may look great but when compared graphically to Assassin's Creed, it fails on every level.

I was hoping I'd not have to start this discussion here, but if you're asking:

Art direction is an integral part of graphics. You cannot say "well, these graphics are absolutey stunning, but the art direction is terrible". This works in both ways, as technically atrocious games can't possibly have a good art direction. Those two are intertwined, and just cannot be separated.

Therefore, I'd say Super Mario Galaxy looks WAY better than Iron Man on the PS3, even though Iron Man is technically more advanced. So yes, Super Mario Galaxy is one of the best looking games this generation, even if the game appeared on the Xbox 360.

I was speaking on prurely tecnicial levels. Wii games looks vastly inferior to the best PC and 360/PS3 games. Art style has nothing to do with it.

Well, then we have to agree to disagree here. Art direction is just as important as technical aspects, which should be clear by now. There are only a handful of games that look better than Super Mario Galaxy (and Assassin's Creed, and BioShock, etc.) in my opinion.

Its got cool water effects and lots of green...and thats it.

Apart from the fact that the jungle looks amazing. (I don't know what you mean with "busy") all other backgrounds in Uncharted are great. The submarine is awesome, the old city etc. pp. And the character models may not be on Heavenly Sword level but they are pretty nice as well.

bbsin said:
tabsina said:
If i don't include PC, PS3 or 360.... or PS2 or PSP... super mario galaxy

if i do include all of them, crysis

if no pc, a close game between the art direction of Uncharted vs realism of Gears of War.. i'd give it to uncharted though for having more than 2 colours

That's bull crap, GeOW used 12 colors: white, black, green, orange, brown, red, gray, light gray, dark gray, mid dark gray, light dark gray, and plum gray.

@disolitude: Uncharted is all about the lighting and shadow effects, look at the lighting and how the shadows reflect on Drake then maybe you'll see why alot of people say it looks the best for a console game. Facial animation/detail are top notch also but not as good as Mass Effect and textures are great but not as good as UT3/GeOW.

BTW: There's no game that has better Ocean graphics than Lair.

Yes there is: Crysis. Crysis has easily the most amazing water effects to date, the ocean even works as a full ecology. It is absolutely brilliant how the light is affected inside the water, and the light refraction is out of this world, the water physics, the dynamics, everything is unrivaled in Crysis.