By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Need help from 360 owners/knoledgeable enthusiasts!!!

I want a 360 bad, and getting one very shortly(or maybe not)

I love the library(who wouldnt after 2 years?) My question is this,

There have only been 9 million plus 360 sold and like 10-12 million shipped, I dont want to get one of the 360's sitting on the shelf. Does the elite fix all of the cd/dvd scratching? is it more quiet? or should I wait til 12 million are sold, then buy one so I do not get one from the shelf. Honestly when I get it, I do not want to ship it back period, I want to play it and not leave it out of my site.

Around the Network

Wait for it!

65nm technology is coming in the form of CPU and GPU this fall = more reliable 360. And, me thinks with that upgrade, they may include HDMI in the premium SKU soon, so the only difference will be the hard drive size.

I know it's rough. My friends are pressuring me into getting a 360. But, I'm holding out!

Yeah I am going to wait.damn i want it!!!Ps wish I could edite the thread, I noticed I typed too fast and spelled knowledge incorrectly!

I'd do as Dolla Dolla has suggested. I own 360 and I love it but I'd wait until this fall. There is almost definitely going to be a significant price drop in addition to the updated 65nm chipset.

Same here. Wait Wait Wait. From what I have read, the Elite didnt fix anything.

Around the Network

I'm not 100% sure about this but I've heard that scratching of DVD's mostly occur if you move the 360 when it's on. And another tip is to put the loose power adaptor so thats it leans, this means more air around the device and ultimately less probability of the red ring.

I just jumped in head first. I bought one from Buy.com and I'm sure they move a lot of units so their stock is probably a lot fresher than most. That said, you have to figure that even microsoft, in their bullheaded ways, has figured out SOME of the reasons behind the red circle of death and have addressed it to some degree in those going out the door now. I suspect the failure rate of newer units will be a lot lower -- even before we see a 65nm or motherboard redesign.

I figured it will probably be OK and the 1 year warranty will at least cover me for that time period. I was looking for something new to play games on and even though I didn't like the price of the console AT ALL, the 360 is the current best bet given the software library of 360 games and all the original xbox games that are backward compatible. The XBLA game list is growing as well...

Also, if you are currently sitting on the fence, I wouldn't count on a huge price drop after 65NM introduction.  I'm not sure why everyone thinks that a price drop will coincide with the release of Halo 3, but that is exactly the OPPOSITE of what has historically happened in console sales (assuming desperation has been reached).  The fall lineup on the 360 is SOLID and my guess is that they will milk it for everything it is worth through the christmas holidy (when people are less concerned about price) and price cuts will come next spring.  Plus, can you imagine the anger from everyone that just bought an Elite if they drop the price 100 bucks 2 months after introducing it?  Of course it will depend on Sony's pricing moves, but if Sony doesn't move this year on price I don't think MS will.  Even if MS does without Sony doing it first, I'd bet on 50 bucks being the cut...

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Everyone seems to say wait, and everyone thinks there is a price drop coming?
Why not, most price drops happen either after 2 years.................OR, during holidays!
I wonder what Japan will do If wii's are nowhere during holidays between late November-January??? Would they take the XBOX plunge?

dpmnymkrprez said:
Everyone seems to say wait, and everyone thinks there is a price drop coming?
Why not, most price drops happen either after 2 years.................OR, during holidays!
I wonder what Japan will do If wii's are nowhere during holidays between late November-January??? Would they take the XBOX plunge?

Microsoft sure sold a helluva lot of xbox 360s this christmas... I suspect with a much stronger fall lineup and HALO 3, they aren't in a mood to cut. The core is only 299 if you can live without wireless and the hard drive... buy a hard drive later... I considered that route, too, as pretty much all games can be played with just a memory card for save games. Bottom line is I couldn't stand it any more. I wanted to play some next gen stuff and finally caved in.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Most of the DVD issues were fixed quite some time ago. I got a refurb (from my 1st one dying after 1 and 1/2 years), and the DVD is better/quieter.

If you want one, either save cash and wait for the price drop, or buy a cheap-o refurb from geeks.com for like $325 + free shipping.

Trust me, with H3 and GTAIV, MS WILL drop the price to keep in some sort of competition with Nintendo.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.