By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NA Sales. May 17th

koffieboon said:
gebx said:
Godot said:
What I don't get is why all consoles perform so much better in Europe? Is it because of the recession? If I am not mistaken NA sales are usually better. Even the 360 does almost twice the number it does in NA.

Yeah, makes you wonder if the European numbers are overtracked also... 

Well, comparing the graph in Nintendo's financial results briefing about European sales:

With this graph from Vgchartz shows a very similar pattern:

http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=Europe&cons2=PS3&reg2=Europe&cons3=X360&reg3=Europe&start=39453&end=39551

The lines from Vgchartz are a bit higher, but they might include more countries. It is however important to note the Vgchartz graph isn't for the whole of The Others region, so Australian and other aren't included. If any overtracking took place there it won't show in the graph.

Source nintendo?

Bias Confirmed!!11!!1one!!1

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
CrazzyMan said:

Total NA by March 30.
x360 - NPD 10,660 - VG 11,360 - 700k
Wii - NPD 9,610 - VG 10,195 - 600k
ps3 - NPD 4,453 - VG 4,450 - 0k

http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii®1=America&cons2=PS3®2=America&cons3=X360®3=America&start=39453&end=39537&weekly=1

i mean, after NPD April data VG sales were adjusted compared to NPD, BUT Total sales of consoles still have the difference(well, atleast x360 and Wii have...).

The X360 is big in Mexico (they have lots of pirates who like modded X360s, plus PS3 costs a lot more there). Mexico numbers aren't in NPD data, so that is probably some (not the whole) explanation why VGC has a 700k higher number than NPD for the X360 LTD sales in NA.

Im from México so I can talk about the situation, the PS3 is overpriced almost $9,000(+850 dollars) and the Wii too $5,000(+400 dollars), the cheapest console is Xbox 360 and for I know México is the fourth or fifth country with more Xbox 360 in the world.

Godot said:
What I don't get is why all consoles perform so much better in Europe? Is it because of the recession? If I am not mistaken NA sales are usually better. Even the 360 does almost twice the number it does in NA.

Not exactly because of the recession but related. The dollar is currently trying to replace toilet tissue as the least valuable paper on earth and this makes it more attractive to sell your product elsewhere. They both have the same cause and I’d explain it but this close to elections it would sound too partisan and mostly because it’s gotten to the point that the stupidity has become so obvious that people who can't see it SCARE me.

Please interpret this however you wish and remember I didn't explain it so your rant will only serve to fill in the blanks.

PooperScooper said:

May 17th

DS - 116,648 (21% drop)
Wii - 107,886 (17% drop)
Ps3 - 53,450 (33% drop)
360 - 45,587 (32% drop)
PSP - 47,874 (26% drop)

May 10th

DS - 147,952
Wii - 129,919
PS3 - 80,297
X360 - 66,770
PSP - 64,594

LTD (in millions)

DS - 22.77
Wii - 11.41
360 - 11.72
Ps3 - 4.87
PSP - 12.61

Anyone know if there were any adjustments?

DISCUSS

Stores would have kept Wii that they got last week to make sure that those wanting a Wii Fit and a Wii got both.

As for PS3 and X360, this might be one of the few times there is a strong competition between the Wii and the other 2 consoles.  How many wifes/gf said "Honey, rather than buying that (fill in the HD) console, can't you wait until the price drops, and instead get me a Wii with the Wii Fit?" 

Torturing the numbers.  Hear them scream.

If I was Sony or Microsoft:

1) and I had just had my biggest software release ever sell 8M copies but so little hardware that people are actually debating where the peak is or if it is

2) and the competition outsold the both of us combined in hardware on the strength of a smaller IP that sold a fraction as many copies

3) and when the hoped for “delayed” hardware sales turned out to be another sharp decline and the competition actually gained .3%

4) and if the following week they sold 300K machines a week before their big release

5) and the following month sell 1M consoles in a non-holiday period

6) and realized that they were selling more software per unit and even more 3rd party software

7) and they were on track to best the PS2 while I was on track to sink below the GameCube

8) and knew they were profitable on every unit sold since they launched

9) and knew that I was still struggling to get into black ink making it impossible to do a price cut that I knew I needed to make

What would I be thinking? It would have to be very, very grim.

I like Nintendo, the direction they are taking and my Wii but I am honestly concerned that this is building into what could be a complete debacle that could seriously hurt gaming as a whole.

Around the Network

Software data up

The Wii could reclaim the top 3 software spots next week, not just in NA, but the world.

Grampy said:
Godot said:

Not exactly because of the recession but related. The dollar is currently trying to replace toilet tissue as the least valuable paper on earth and this makes it more attractive to sell your product elsewhere. They both have the same cause and I’d explain it but this close to elections it would sound too partisan and mostly because it’s gotten to the point that the stupidity has become so obvious that people who can't see it SCARE me.

Please interpret this however you wish and remember I didn't explain it so your rant will only serve to fill in the blanks.

So basically all 3 companies focus more on Europe because they make more money because the Europeans are screwed as usual with their strong currency...

I don't think Nintendo is causing any problem to the industry. In fact, it's helping it more than anything. Microsoft and Sony are both huge corporations which use gaming has a way to secure more sales in other areas. Mircosoft with DirectX/Online/Windows/helping PC gaming and Sony with Blu-Ray/HD-TV and so on... So, if they lose a lot of money with gaming, they'll make it somewhere else. It's no big deal.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

Godot said:

So basically all 3 companies focus more on Europe because they make more money because the Europeans are screwed as usual with their strong currency...

I don't really know. I'm 63 and for almost six decades I was taught that a strong dollar was a really good thing, a really important thing, almost a religious thing. Right up until we didn't have it; and suddenly I was told that it was a bad thing because it discouraged trade.

Where do you think Microsoft and Sony learned to spin the facts to make bad seem good and good seem bad?

Grampy said:
Godot said:

I don't really know. I'm 63 and for almost six decades I was taught that a strong dollar was a really good thing, a really important thing, almost a religious thing. Right up until we didn't have it; and suddenly I was told that it was a bad thing because it discouraged trade.

Where do you think Microsoft and Sony learned to spin the facts to make bad seem good and good seem bad?

It being good or bad basically depeneds on how it effects your purchasing power. I mean the Kuwait dollar is the most valuable currency in the world and has been for ages... but it's all relative. I mean, 1 dollar in California isn't exactly equal to 1 dollar in ohio. It's kinda similar world wide, except not only does the "area" value differ but the "real" value differs as well.

Also, i'm not so sure what's partisan about why the economy is screwed up. Hiding from minor currency depression and wastefull spending is a bipartisan effort that finally caught up to us.