By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NA Sales. May 17th

I still think the Ps3/360 are gonna struggle when gas has gone up 50% since January and food prices are up 10% in 4 months. The Wii is cheaper in America, and you have a game that everyone can play out of the box. Want another controller and game? Wii Play is affordable.

It's not just the console prices with PS3/Xbox. People know they need another $40 or $50 controller, 2 or 3 games at $60. Xbox Live? $50 PS3 headset? $40 Buy a PS3 - need some Blu-Rays. Buy a 360? Maybe you want wireless. It adds up.

It's not $249 vs $279 or $399.

For Wii, extra controller and three games = about $340

For PS3/360 Premium, extra controller and three games = about $575

And every new Wii game is $10 cheaper, plus it's for the whole family and the hot must-have family toy of the moment. it makes sense.

Now you and I know that a Wii in the long run can cost you just as much with GHIII/WiiFit/Kart wheels/blasters etc. But the average Joe or soccer mom sees it's ony 60% of the price, accessible and kid friendly and buys Wii instead. Anyone struggling to save for a console will also see Wii as a better option (and PS2/handhelds as well).

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

Around the Network
fastyxx said:
I still think the Ps3/360 are gonna struggle when gas has gone up 50% since January and food prices are up 10% in 4 months. The Wii is cheaper in America, and you have a game that everyone can play out of the box. Want another controller and game? Wii Play is affordable.

It's not just the console prices with PS3/Xbox. People know they need another $40 or $50 controller, 2 or 3 games at $60. Xbox Live? $50 PS3 headset? $40 Buy a PS3 - need some Blu-Rays. Buy a 360? Maybe you want wireless. It adds up.

It's not $249 vs $279 or $399.

For Wii, extra controller and three games = about $340

For PS3/360 Premium, extra controller and three games = about $575

And every new Wii game is $10 cheaper, plus it's for the whole family and the hot must-have family toy of the moment. it makes sense.

Now you and I know that a Wii in the long run can cost you just as much with GHIII/WiiFit/Kart wheels/blasters etc. But the average Joe or soccer mom sees it's ony 60% of the price, accessible and kid friendly and buys Wii instead. Anyone struggling to save for a console will also see Wii as a better option (and PS2/handhelds as well).

Gas has went up everywhere... not just the US... right?  I know food has been going up rapidly around the world.

Kasz216 said:
Also, i'm not so sure what's partisan about why the economy is screwed up. Hiding from minor currency depression and wastefull spending is a bipartisan effort that finally caught up to us.

If you really believe that’s what has screwed up the economy, okee dokee, who am I to argue, you must be right?

Look I’m backing away and keeping my hands in clear sight so stay calm…… stay very calm, … that’s all that’s happened to the silly old economy…. Just keeping saying that...

Shall I call the nice nursey to give you another nice injection on my way out?

Well...Salt OD for me this week.

Grampy said:
Kasz216 said:
Also, i'm not so sure what's partisan about why the economy is screwed up. Hiding from minor currency depression and wastefull spending is a bipartisan effort that finally caught up to us.

If you really believe that’s what has screwed up the economy, okee dokee, who am I to argue, you must be right?

Look I’m backing away and keeping my hands in clear sight so stay calm…… stay very calm, … that’s all that’s happened to the silly old economy…. Just keeping saying that...

Shall I call the nice nursey to give you another nice injection on my way out?

If you don't consider that the reason I have no problem discussing the matter over PMs.

Though if your reasoning for the economy being bad would be Iraq...

keep in mind that is afterall a case of number 2 on the list. Wasteful spending.

Around the Network

Thank you so much Topic Creator for not giving your opinion about each console sales this week :)

People always seem to sneakfully give their bias opinion in these :)

MattAAron said:
Thank you so much Topic Creator for not giving your opinion about each console sales this week :)

People always seem to sneakfully give their bias opinion in these :)

Thank you for the compliment! But yeah I was just trying to report the data in a nice, clean, easy to read post with information on each sales.

If anyone has any suggestions to make the post better I'll be glad to impliment it next time I post sales. (If I ever get to post them again)

PooperScooper said:

May 17th

DS - 116,648 (21% drop)
Wii - 107,886 (17% drop)
Ps3 - 53,450 (33% drop)
360 - 45,587 (32% drop)
PSP - 47,874 (26% drop)

May 10th

DS - 147,952
Wii - 129,919
PS3 - 80,297
X360 - 66,770
PSP - 64,594

LTD (in millions)

DS - 22.77
Wii - 11.41
360 - 11.72
Ps3 - 4.87
PSP - 12.61

Anyone know if there were any adjustments?

DISCUSS

Just wanted to let you know that the numbers you posted are different from what VGC has here. May 17th has the same numbers, but you posted incorrect % percentage drops. 

May 17th: http://vgchartz.com/aweekly.php

116,648 (-11%) 22,766,966
107,886 (-18%) 11,414,240
53,450 (-6%) 4,867,703
47,874 (-6%) 12,607,748
45,587 (-7%) 11,719,249

May 10th: http://vgchartz.com/aweekly.php?date=39579&console=&maker=&boxartz=1

131,797 (-68%) 11,306,354
131,571 (+4%) 22,650,318
56,729 (-47%) 4,814,253
50,996 (-15%) 12,559,874
49,178 (-46%) 11,673,662

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

I think the state of the cost of 'other stuff' in the US ($4 gas...sucks), food, utilities etc is really causing the HD consoles to be 'luxury items' and not practical items as they were 5-10 years ago.

At least MS still advertises though...seriously, I think Sony is in hibernation in terms of advertising...I fully expect a marketing blitz from them in the fall.

PSN: TheGodofWine (Warhawk / R2 / MotorStorm PR)

AND

PSN: Skigazzi (for KZ2 and future games)

GodofWine said:

I think the state of the cost of 'other stuff' in the US ($4 gas...sucks), food, utilities etc is really causing the HD consoles to be 'luxury items' and not practical items as they were 5-10 years ago.

You probably have a pont there. This even explains why Europe isn't hit so hard:

European gas prices are much higher, due to taxes, so the pure Oil costs do not matter so much and due to the strong Euro Oil is not as expensive for european customers.