By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Italian review calls MGS4 ending epilogue 1 hour long "mindf**k" like MGS2

Oh God, not another one...

*runs off to avoid this inane argument again*

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network

Philosophical endings and such aside, I just think the stories are just great because it makes you use your brain instead of frying it with just mindless "fun"....

I for one like to think once in a while...

PSN ID: T_Gears

End of 2009 ltd sales:

Wii = 67-68m

X360 = 38-39m

PS3 = 34-35m

Prediction: The PS3 will surpass the 360 on weekly sales after it drops to $299 on all regular weeks (no big releases).

rocketpig said:
Oh God, not another one...

*runs off to avoid this inane argument again*

I know the feeling ...

DTG said:
HappySqurriel said:
DTG said:

MGS is a serious series. It transcends modern gaming, being something on level with literary and cinematics greats when it comes to it's layered storytelling and deeply profound thematic exploration.

Wow, just wow ...

If you think that Metal Gear Solid is on the level of literary greats you really have to start reading, and I don't mean the Star Wars novels you have been reading so far. Metal Gear Solid are entertaining games but their writing is on par with third rate action movies like Transformers.

I've read Dovstojevski, Neitzche, Kant and from many other European famous writers but only very few compare to the breakthrough MGS2. I consider SoL to be one of the greatest creative achievements of the past century.

Who here has seen Southland Tales? Who else, after seeing that movie, finds talk of MGS's "philosophies" hilarious?

They're actually quite similar when you think about it... The key difference being that Southland Tales didn't try to take itself seriously at all.

Around the Network

Southland Tales' real plot was far too complex and layered for your average viewer, and they edited the shit out of the theatrical release in order to obtain some mainstream tickets. You really can't understand it unless you read all the supplemental things such as the comic books. Just like Donnie Darko (pre-Director's Cut) relied heavily on exploring the Donnie Darko website. Not everyone like's this style, but at least Richard Kelly is doing something different.

As for the comparison to MGS? MGS really isn't that complex and thought-provoking. I love the story, I love the games, but it's rather simple. It's just done in a confusing and convoluted manner which gives the illusion of depth. Very similar to say Final Fantasy 7 (again, a game I love), there isn't any underlying metaphoric amazing insights into humanity hiding there, it's just confusing.

MrOuija_AK said:
Southland Tales' real plot was far too complex and layered for your average viewer, and they edited the shit out of the theatrical release in order to obtain some mainstream tickets. You really can't understand it unless you read all the supplemental things such as the comic books. Just like Donnie Darko (pre-Director's Cut) relied heavily on exploring the Donnie Darko website. Not everyone like's this style, but at least Richard Kelly is doing something different.

As for the comparison to MGS? MGS really isn't that complex and thought-provoking. I love the story, I love the games, but it's rather simple. It's just done in a confusing and convoluted manner which gives the illusion of depth. Very similar to say Final Fantasy 7 (again, a game I love), there isn't any underlying metaphoric amazing insights into humanity hiding there, it's just confusing.

True, but the schlock nature of both pieces, along with their convoluted plots, reminded me of each other.

The key difference being that, on some level, I actually enjoyed Southland Tales for its ridiculous quirks while people seem to take MGS way too seriously. Nary a thread goes by when someone doesn't name-drop Nietzsche and/or post-moderism (yawns) when talking about the game.

lol,1 hour its realy too big for an ending,need a lot of redbull.............;)

rocketpig said:
MrOuija_AK said:

True, but the schlock nature of both pieces, along with their convoluted plots, reminded me of each other.

The key difference being that, on some level, I actually enjoyed Southland Tales for its ridiculous quirks while people seem to take MGS way too seriously. Nary a thread goes by when someone doesn't name-drop Nietzsche and/or post-moderism (yawns) when talking about the game.

But perhaps instead of immediately dismissing people who make such comments, you could simply respect it as their own opinions and leave it at that. If you're willing to concede that you're opinions don't constitute a universal truth you should be able to accept and acknowledge others having differing opinions from your own.

An hour long? thats pretty long, i hope its a good as indicated, otherwise it will waste valuable gameplay time.