By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii - 50 million software in 18 months (US)

FishyJoe said:

According to a presentation by Cammie Dunaway of Nintendo.

First 18 months software units (US):

Wii - 50 million (not including Wii Sports)
X360 - 28 million
PS3 - 20 million
PS2 - 42 million

First 18 months hardware units (US):

Wii - 9.5 million
X360 - 5.2 million
PS3 - 4.2 million
PS2 - 8.5 million

http://kotaku.com/5010214/nintendo-wii-has-highest-software-sales-for-first-18-months

Attach rate time

Wii 5.27 (6.27 with Wii sports) 

360 5.38

PS3 4.76

PS2 4.9

Well done Nintendo, you've created a hardware and software selling beast 

Around the Network

hmmm Wii software sells. Now thats news to me ;)

Sullla said:
But FishyJoe, Pachter said that people only buy the Wii for Wii Sports! Those software numbers are unpossible!

LOLZ

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Wow reading that Kotaku article was hilarious, I didn't realise there was so much denial and hate there (I though Kotaku was relatively even in content, and with a slight Wii/60 bias in the posters, but then last time I went there was last summer, it seems to have changed)

Most gaming publications have become geared towards the highest yielding demographic which now happens to be the target of HD gaming. There's really no surprise that the Wii's success comes as a bitter dissapointment to many who are now invested in HD gaming, pick up any magazine that isn't Nintendo Power and you get the idea.

Around the Network
Onimusha12 said:
Wii > PS2

I knew I made the right choice this generation.

Interesting thing to say. You made the right choice because it sells more than the PS2, because it won.

I cannot say I find it strange. We all want to bet on the winning horse. That's where most of these flamewars come from, imo. One of my major reasons for hanging around at VGChartz is the same feeling of 'I like the Wii and it's winning, therefore I'm right and can be proud of myself'. The people that care a lot what other people think and that does NOT bet on the Wii all needs suitable explenations as to why THEY are right.

It's just human nature, I guess. We all want our opinions to be the right ones.

This is invisible text!

Actually, the comments to the Kotaku article were more split anti/pro than I thought they might be.

The two that didn't completely get knocked apart were whether Wii Play deserves to be counted as a game versus just as an attachment to an accessory.  And whether 'impactful' was an english word or just a marketing one.

We know that in the next installment (former (?) half of 2008), there will be the arguement of having Wii Fit as a game or just another accessory.  I'm waiting for some hardcore to argue that Brain Training should be considered not as a game, but as an attachment to an accessory that isn't, but should be, sold along with the game.   Think about it.

Torturing the numbers.  Hear them scream.

Killergran said:
Onimusha12 said:
Wii > PS2

I knew I made the right choice this generation.

Interesting thing to say. You made the right choice because it sells more than the PS2, because it won.

I cannot say I find it strange. We all want to bet on the winning horse. That's where most of these flamewars come from, imo. One of my major reasons for hanging around at VGChartz is the same feeling of 'I like the Wii and it's winning, therefore I'm right and can be proud of myself'. The people that care a lot what other people think and that does NOT bet on the Wii all needs suitable explenations as to why THEY are right.

It's just human nature, I guess. We all want our opinions to be the right ones.

You make a good point and I must concede to the fact I do fall within that category. However, my choice in gaming this generaiton is one more so based on integrity rather than popularity, not that such makes me exempt from such scrutiny, my preference for the PS2 last generation was by and large one of necesity and circumstance, not ideology or vision.

Even if the Wii is not the god send of gaming so many fanboys want people to think it is, it offers one thing that the 360 and PS3 don't at this point, a garanteed future for gaming... a promise of something more than an ever narrowing demographic and an ever shrinking library of game genres.

I am proud to say that I've contributed 17 of those 50 million

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Onimusha12 said:

You make a good point and I must concede to the fact I do fall within that category. However, my choice in gaming this generaiton is one more so based on integrity rather than popularity, not that such makes me exempt from such scrutiny, my preference for the PS2 last generation was by and large one of necesity and circumstance, not ideology or vision.

Even if the Wii is not the god send of gaming so many fanboys want people to think it is, it offers one thing that the 360 and PS3 don't at this point, a garanteed future for gaming... a promise of something more than an ever narrowing demographic and an ever shrinking library of game genres.

Well said :)

I sure hope that the Nintendo way is the future of gaming. Not that I wish to imply that the more upmarket, or 'hardcore' as people call it, games should dissappear. I just want the new values that Nintendo has presented to permeate the gaming market. Gaming should be more than great graphics and a great story, coupled with good controls and gameplay. Such games will scare away new gamers, and in the end alienate the old ones too.

In the end, I think that it is only natural that the new values in gaming is reflected in strong sales.  It's not so that just because you are a downmarket customer (something like casual), you will not buy more games. Such a belief is wrong, and possibly even stupid (especially considering how the chartz are riddled with Wii games)

This is invisible text!