By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Dragon Quest IX - 15 Mil?

We've seen how big the DS is in Japan. Worldwide too, of course, but portable stuff is huge in Japan.

We also know how major Dragon Quest is in Japan, and always has been. The remakes are showing good numbers in just Japan, and those are just remakes.

Lately, it's been brought to attention that several DS-titles are approaching 15 million copies sold. As of now, Nintendogs is the only game to have accomplished that feat, but several others seem to be approaching the mark.

My question is, do you think DQIX can reach 15 million on the DS?

Personally, I don't think it can. I think it'll definitely hit 5 million, and I can even see 10 million without being very skeptical, but 15 million sounds a bit too high to me. What do you guys think?

Around the Network

no way.. max 4-5 million..

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

It'll be massive in Japan. But less successful in the rest of the world.

I think RPGs in general are to 'hardcore' to reach such high sales figures.I would say DQIX will reach something between 5-8.5 million copies in the DS lifetime.You can not hope for DQIX what DQVIII could not archieve:being very popular outside of Japan.

Tempus fugit Nintendo manet.

Level 1 - Newbie
Level 2 - Member - Pass 1k
Level 3 - Regular - Pass 2k
Level 4 - Addicted - Pass 5k
Level 5 - Obsessed - Pass 10k
Level 6 - Old Guard - Pass 20k
Level 7 - Legend - Pass 50k
Level 8 - Demi-God - Pass 100k
Level 9 - God - Pass 250k
Level 10 - Zeus - Pass 500k

New Table:

Level 1 - Newbie
Level 2 - Rookie - Pass 1k
Level 3 - Padawan - Pass 10k
Level 4 - Sea Dog - Pass 25k
Level 5 - Captain - Pass 50k
Level 6 - Agent - Pass 100k
Level 7 - Elite - Pass 175k
Level 8 - Hero - Pass 250k
Level 9 - Legend - Pass 500k
Level 10 - Titan - Pass 1 Million

Yeah, I don't think it'll do more than maybe one million copies in US & Others combined.

However, given that it's both a new installment to Dragon Quest and on the DS, I think Japan sales could be massive. I definitely won't be surprised if it climbs to 10 mil.

Around the Network
Majin-Tenshinhan said:
Yeah, I don't think it'll do more than maybe one million copies in US & Others combined.

However, given that it's both a new installment to Dragon Quest and on the DS, I think Japan sales could be massive. I definitely won't be surprised if it climbs to 10 mil.

Yeah, I could see 8 million, possibly.  DS has a big install base and the attach rate in Japan should be really high.  They should try to hype it overseas.  Will it be a worldwide launch?  That might help.

You know that not a single DQ has made 5M, right? Even with lacking data, none have at least beaten 6M. I still think it will sell 5M, but I cannot see 10M as even a slight possibility.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

DQ is quite popular right now outside Japan, DQ VIII sold over 1 milion copies in Europe and North America. It will definitely sell 5 million copies and more in Japan in its first months, but the tricky part comes when it launches overseas. It will all depend on how well its marketed and if the DS audience is willing to play such a game.

@Oyvoyvoyv.

It would require it to breakout into the western market, its not impossible but its not likely either.

NO way ... max 6 million worldwid e. 15 million will be reched only by more softcore games on the DS

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!