By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - do you think Sony is holding back some titles due to.......

I believe FFXIII is being held back on purpose. Big words, however I believe S-E is trying to wait for the Japanese PS3 userbase to increase to acceptable levels before they release their game.

In the modern gaming market, for most games, the majority of your sales will come within the first week. After that you lose your hype and sales start to either show legs or die off.

The larger the first week userbase, the more games you will sell.

Perhaps many other games are being delayed until the PS3 gets a userbase that can handle their development costs.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network
starcraft said:
makingmusic476 said:
starcraft said:
Well first I'd like to throw in the phrases "delaystation 3" and "domination delayed."

Having done that, I'll tell you I don't think the delays are deliberate (at least not the big delays). Economies of scale tell us that the more consoles one sells the quicker one can redistribute the losses over a larger production line and bring down average cost.

Although I agree that the strange irony is if Sony sold 3 million consoles in the next week they would lose a tonne of money, the week after that they would already be receiving substantial cost savings on the next run of PS3's due to economies of scale and increased efficiency of production.

Sony (and for that matter Microsoft and Nintendo) want to sell more consoles. The optimal outcome is a large, sustained number of consoles sold that allows them to maximize efficiency and scale economies, and happens sooner rather than later.

I can see what gave you the idea, but I don't agree with it.

Lulz. Alan Wake? Splinter Cell: Conviction?

And let's not get started on Too Human. *rolls eyes*

OT: I don't think so. If anything, they'd want to get these games out ASAP as software sales are their main source of profit.

Er?  Too Human's delays were all on Sony and Nintendo platforms

And try coming up with a catchy name like DELAYSTATION for the Xbox 360?

Alan Wake was never announced as being a 2008 title (too use your Killzone 2 line)  Splinter Cell I alreadyy mentioned in this thread. 

Got me there.

Though on Wikipedia, it does say that Alan Wake was confirmed for 2008 in an interview with the GamerScore Blog, though I wouldn't be one to call that official. ;)

ZenfoldorVGI said:
I believe FFXIII is being held back on purpose. Big words, however I believe S-E is trying to wait for the Japanese PS3 userbase to increase to acceptable levels before they release their game.

In the modern gaming market, for most games, the majority of your sales will come within the first week. After that you lose your hype and sales start to either show legs or die off.

Perhaps many other games are being delayed until the PS3 gets a userbase that can handle their development costs.

But I think sony need them to get it out there, so some PS3s will sell there. There is also the complication with  DQ, as SE only wants to release one of them in a fiscal year, so if DQ is announced for this year, XIII isn't coming for a while

starcraft said:

Alan Wake was never announced as being a 2008 title (too use your Killzone 2 line)  Splinter Cell I alreadyy mentioned in this thread. 

So if it were even delayed next year, the same could be said? "Ready when it's ready" is no way indicative of it coming out next year, or in two.

Until I get solid, concrete dates, I'm also holding Halo Wars and Fable 2 suspect.

ZenfoldorVGI said:

I'm sure SE of all companies knows that the ps3 userbase will NEVER being to grow significantly in Japan until games like FFXIII start getting released, and I'm sure they most of all know the significant console selling power that a game like Final Fantasy has.

If they're holding back FFXIII so that the userbase will grow, it ain't gonna happen, and I'm sure they know that.  Like they said themselves, it's all about having DQ in one financial year, and FF in the next.

Around the Network
makingmusic476 said:
starcraft said:
makingmusic476 said:
starcraft said:
Well first I'd like to throw in the phrases "delaystation 3" and "domination delayed."

Having done that, I'll tell you I don't think the delays are deliberate (at least not the big delays). Economies of scale tell us that the more consoles one sells the quicker one can redistribute the losses over a larger production line and bring down average cost.

Although I agree that the strange irony is if Sony sold 3 million consoles in the next week they would lose a tonne of money, the week after that they would already be receiving substantial cost savings on the next run of PS3's due to economies of scale and increased efficiency of production.

Sony (and for that matter Microsoft and Nintendo) want to sell more consoles. The optimal outcome is a large, sustained number of consoles sold that allows them to maximize efficiency and scale economies, and happens sooner rather than later.

OT: I don't think so. If anything, they'd want to get these games out ASAP as software sales are their main source of profit.

Er? Too Human's delays were all on Sony and Nintendo platforms

Alan Wake was never announced as being a 2008 title (too use your Killzone 2 line) Splinter Cell I alreadyy mentioned in this thread.

Got me there.

Though on Wikipedia, it does say that Alan Wake was confirmed for 2008 in an interview with the GamerScore Blog, though I wouldn't be one to call that official. ;)

For me its all about expectation.  Sony deliberately cultivated the idea that KZ2 would make it into 2008, even though they didn't specifically state it would.  Microsoft (until a couple of months ago when Shane Kim first started to hose down the idea) cultivated the notion that Alan Wake would hit in 2008 as well. 

So though neither game was ever announced for 2008, I consider them both to be delayed as the companies involved happily went along with their "supposed" release dates. 

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

starcraft said:

Well, when a company makes shit that works, maybe it takes longer and costs more, ever consider that, genius?  It's like Miyamoto's quote about games (release it when it's good), except with hardware.  Sony is Nintendo in the analogy, and Microsoft would be like Ubisoft, farting out the 360 like Ubisoft did Red Steel and Haze.

As for "domination delayed," you Xbots built that straw man up on your own for the express purpose of burning it and patting yourselves on the back.  And by that I mean, had it fed to you by MS's guerilla marketing online FUD machine. 

PS3 is selling as well as 360 over the same period but at a higher price and with more competition.

Famine said:
starcraft said:

Alan Wake was never announced as being a 2008 title (too use your Killzone 2 line) Splinter Cell I alreadyy mentioned in this thread.

So if it were even delayed next year, the same could be said? "Ready when it's ready" is no way indicative of it coming out next year, or in two.

Until I get solid, concrete dates, I'm also holding Halo Wars and Fable 2 suspect.

I can't speak for Halo Wars, but Molyneux said a few days ago that Fable 2 would hit in November and that it wouldn't be delayed.

starcraft said:
makingmusic476 said:
starcraft said:
makingmusic476 said:
starcraft said:

Er? Too Human's delays were all on Sony and Nintendo platforms

Got me there.

For me its all about expectation.  Sony deliberately cultivated the idea that KZ2 would make it into 2008, even though they didn't specifically state it would.  Microsoft (until a couple of months ago when Shane Kim first started to hose down the idea) cultivated the notion that Alan Wake would hit in 2008 as well. 

So though neither game was ever announced for 2008, I consider them both to be delayed as the companies involved happily went along with their "supposed" release dates. 

Lol.  Well, Killzone 2 was announced for 2008.  GG even had "Coming in 2008" on the front page of the Killzone 2 website for a month or two. :P

But February certainly is close to 2008.  It's like DMC4's delay.  Not much at all.  Just enough to get in some extra polish.

Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
starcraft said:

Well, when a company makes shit that works, maybe it takes longer and costs more, ever consider that, genius? It's like Miyamoto's quote about games (release it when it's good), except with hardware. Sony is Nintendo in the analogy, and Microsoft would be like Ubisoft, farting out the 360 like Ubisoft did Red Steel and Haze.

As for "domination delayed," you Xbots built that straw man up on your own for the express purpose of burning it and patting yourselves on the back. And by that I mean, had it fed to you by MS's guerilla marketing online FUD machine.

PS3 is selling as well as 360 over the same period but at a higher price and with more competition.

BAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Did you not get (As everyone else in the thread did) that that line was simply a joke at the beginning of a serious post (which you would know if you hadn't edited the rest of the post out)?

As for the last line?   You cant have it both ways.  Either the PS3 will do fantastically because of the strong Playstation brandname but should be held to account for the beating its taking relative to the PS2 and it should simultaneously be acknowledged that most of the PS3's sales are attributed to brandname rather than console or library quality OR you can say the PS3 is selling well off its own strength but will never catch the Wii, thrash the 360 or match the PS2 due to the Playstations brandname being irrelevant.