By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - do you think Sony is holding back some titles due to.......

Avalach21 said:
SpartanFX said:
@avalach

care to explain?

It's funny, the situation the Sony has put themselves into.

well they knew they are gonna be in this siytuation when the put the Blu ray drive in PS3.what were they thinking?I don't know,,,maybe long erm profit for Sony in general for BR roaylties in future?

Around the Network
bbsin said:
Trust me, Sony would rather lose $120 per console sold to consumers than lose $520 on every PS3 that collects dust in warehouses or retail shelves. But just like Starcraft said, I don't think they're delaying games on purpose. If it were Sony's choice, they'd crank out as many quality titles as possible so they wouldn't have to drop the price to keep up with competition. Regardless of the delays, (which are not ALL from first parties, or on the PS3 for that matter) Sony's first and second party titles have never been as good or robust as this current generation.

I know man ,,,This gen SCE is becoming my favourite game dev/publisher,,,nothing from their fist party disappointed me (actually I love 90% of them).

SpartanFX said:
starcraft said:
Well first I'd like to throw in the phrases "delaystation 3" and "domination delayed."

Having done that, I'll tell you I don't think the delays are deliberate (at least not the big delays). Economies of scale tell us that the more consoles one sells the quicker one can redistribute the losses over a larger production line and bring down average cost.

Although I agree that the strange irony is if Sony sold 3 million consoles in the next week they would lose a tonne of money, the week after that they would already be receiving substantial cost savings on the next run of PS3's due to economies of scale and increased efficiency of production.

Sony (and for that matter Microsoft and Nintendo) want to sell more consoles. The optimal outcome is a large, sustained number of consoles sold that allows them to maximize efficiency and scale economies, and happens sooner rather than later.

I can see what gave you the idea, but I don't agree with it.

I am glad that you got that off your chest ,,but xbox360(Delaybox36) is also getting lots of delays as of late ;).

Software will help but just look at the data ,,,software sale is up 410% YOY for PS3 and more tah twice PS3 were sold in the last quarter, ,,,Also, Sony reduced the loss per console from 400 to 150.but they still had loss in gaming devision in the last quarter .what do you say about that?

Lol, yeah I know Splinter Cell.

Software doesn't make the situation any better for Sony based on the last quarterly results.  The software revenue mitigates the losses, meaning that the loss per PS3 is BIGGER than we first believed.  

But I agree with the rest of what you said, the PS3's sales have drastically improved compared to early last year.  But that took massive price cuts.  Knowing that, why do you think they are deliberately delaying games that could increase their sales without the need for price cuts?

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

delaystation sounds better than delaybox 360 (since there's no "lay" in xbox to start it going).

On Topic: I doubt sony is doing it deliberately because they are losing money, the only way a company can reduce costs is to become more efficient and by becoming efficient they must produce more (in order to fully understand the process and which areas of production can be enhanced). Rather than delay games, they'd probably be reducing the amount of production if they were really worried about production costs (plus all consoles lose money at the start, I'm sure Sony is not short sighted enough to not forsee this with CELL and Blu-Ray).

starcraft said:
SpartanFX said:
starcraft said:
Well first I'd like to throw in the phrases "delaystation 3" and "domination delayed."

Having done that, I'll tell you I don't think the delays are deliberate (at least not the big delays). Economies of scale tell us that the more consoles one sells the quicker one can redistribute the losses over a larger production line and bring down average cost.

Although I agree that the strange irony is if Sony sold 3 million consoles in the next week they would lose a tonne of money, the week after that they would already be receiving substantial cost savings on the next run of PS3's due to economies of scale and increased efficiency of production.

Sony (and for that matter Microsoft and Nintendo) want to sell more consoles. The optimal outcome is a large, sustained number of consoles sold that allows them to maximize efficiency and scale economies, and happens sooner rather than later.

I am glad that you got that off your chest ,,but xbox360(Delaybox36) is also getting lots of delays as of late ;).

Software will help but just look at the data ,,,software sale is up 410% YOY for PS3 and more tah twice PS3 were sold in the last quarter, ,,,Also, Sony reduced the loss per console from 400 to 150.but they still had loss in gaming devision in the last quarter .what do you say about that?

Lol, yeah I know Splinter Cell.

Software doesn't make the situation any better for Sony based on the last quarterly results. The software revenue mitigates the losses, meaning that the loss per PS3 is BIGGER than we first believed.

But I agree with the rest of what you said, the PS3's sales have drastically improved compared to early last year. But that took massive price cuts. Knowing that, why do you think they are deliberately delaying games that could increase their sales without the need for price cuts?

I think they is a limit for weekly sales with this kind of price(they did cut the price once and the sales are around 2-2.5 times higher constatnly which shows the limit has been reached again).I think they want to drop the price one more time and then release,,so that poeple consider the purchase,,,,,,

there are lots of people that are not willing to pay $500 for a gaming console regardless of how great the line up is.To think of it it's really impressive to sell this much with this kind of price tag.

also yea halo wars might also slip into 09 ;) 

Around the Network

I just think they are spreding titles out. However, they should be doing all they can to get FF XIII out, even if it means paying SE tons, because without that, PS3 sales in Japan are just going to get less and less

They probably delayed killzone so it doesn't clash with Resistence 2.

starcraft said:

Lulz.  Alan Wake?  Splinter Cell: Conviction?

And let's not get started on Too Human. *rolls eyes*

OT:  I don't think so.  If anything, they'd want to get these games out ASAP as software sales are their main source of profit.

makingmusic476 said:
starcraft said:

Lulz. Alan Wake? Splinter Cell: Conviction?

And let's not get started on Too Human. *rolls eyes*

OT: I don't think so. If anything, they'd want to get these games out ASAP as software sales are their main source of profit.

Er?  Too Human's delays were all on Sony and Nintendo platforms

And try coming up with a catchy name like DELAYSTATION for the Xbox 360?

Alan Wake was never announced as being a 2008 title (too use your Killzone 2 line)  Splinter Cell I alreadyy mentioned in this thread. 

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

--OkeyDokey-- said:
They probably delayed killzone so it doesn't clash with Resistence 2.

That's basically it. 

From videogamer.com:

The booth was manned not by staff from developer Guerrilla Games, but by SCEE staff, staff who were perfectly knowledgeable about the game but perhaps a little ill-equipped to answer questions on the delay. "It's to do with our publishing schedule," said one. "We saw our line-up for 2008 and thought we could push it back."

I seem to recall GameSpot mentioning that it was delayed because of "stiff competition" from games like Resistance 2 and Gears 2, specifically.